FCI Grand Opening | FerrariChat

FCI Grand Opening

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by tesseract, Aug 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Went to pick up my car from Foreign Cars Italia (Gboro) service today and was chatting with one of the salespersons - great guy - Keith (though definitely favored the P-cars).

He mentioned that they will be showing off their new facility - scheduled event is Saturday September 11. They are opening up one exit down I-40 (I think that is Exit 213) in something like 90,000 feet. He said it was going to be a blowout with many, many Ferraris, Maseratis, Astons and P-cars. Expect an Enzo - the F-50 onsite right now and hoping for a 288. The Carrera GT is still there too. For those of you with a slightly different taste - they have a Bentley Continental onsite as of today.

I'm not representing these guys or anything - just thought you all might like to know. A great chance to see all these cars without feeling like you are trespassing in the showroom. Looks like their website is new and under construction, but you may want to check there for definites on this event. Keith mentioned that customers would be notified via mail about it.

CAFE event??????

Also - someone there confirmed the Charlotte Maserati store is indeed coming.

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    They are doing this on 9/11????

A National Day of morning in the US, UK, and Canada??????

(Not to mention one in Afghanistan)

God what bad taste...........

I am a United States Marine, I was on the ground two weeks after 9/11. Friends of all of ours died because of that day.

I can assure you I will have better things to do.

3. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    You have shared your distaste of FCI many times, so I understand your comments. I originally thought the same thing, but wasn't part of the terrorists' plots to break our will and morale? Shoud we stay at home and do nothing each September 11 or show that the damage isn't permanent and that our will and freedon isn't destroyed? The vicitms and their families should be remembered every day - not just that day.

Not sure what being a Marine has to do with it, though I commend you for your commitment to our country. My dad served 28 years - three tours in Vietnam as an officer - lots of his friends and troops died. Each Memorial Day (which IS a national day of mourning) he celebrates our country while thinking of those good men. He doesn't sit at home and curl up and become a victim.

I'd be interested to know what better things you will be doing that day.

4. bartcd

bartcd Rookie

Jun 4, 2004
    Nashville & Malibu
    Full Name:
    Bart Durham
    What a jerk. My son and first cousin are United States Marines. My son was an 03-11 (infantry rifleman) for four years and he has a life.

I say congratulations to FCI.

5. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    What will I do that day? Mostly I will be thinking more of the people that died that I knew and those that I did not have the chance to know. Likely I will spend a few silent moments contemplating the ones I met in Afghan and the friends I have in Iraq as a direct result of 9/11. To them I shall raise my glass and bow my head in silent thanks.

I am sad to see you think so low of me that I take even an extra secound to remember those that died on this day. I spent a "few" months in Afghan because of it with weapon in hand because you two can not, or will not, do it for yourself. I commend your father, but how does that relate to you at all? Do the honors of the father pass on to the son like so much part of an estate? I would ask him what he did the year after he got home. You know, when people he knew were still over there?

That you "wondered" about it is at least something. That another thinks I am a jerk for disagreeing with the date of choice is at best sad. That I am likely sworn to die to defend him is even worse.

I cant believe I am being chided for my opinion on this. I imagine the families of those killed would be relieved that you feel this is a day to celebrate all things foreign.

For me, by myself, I find it.... well.... cold. For me, who fought recently, it is too soon. But having bullets fly over your head in the past two years might give me a different perspective than yours from your comfortable chair in front of the TV.

So enjoy your freedom. Friends of mine, and yours too, died for it. And still are.

6. superX

superX Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Dennis Briddell
    Yes, 9/11 is a day of mourning, it always will be. It will also be a day to celebrate foriegn things, as you say. It will also be a day to go to the park with loved ones, have a cookout, mow the lawn etc.....the point is life does not halt on this day. Nor are certain sacrifices forgotten. We all remember 9/11 in our own fashion, some more deeply than others. To say the least, your public criticism was tacky. To say it another way, grow up.

7. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Tacky? All I said at first was that it was of "bad taste." As in "tacky" right?

Would you rather I had done my criticism privately?

Keep my opinion to my self?

To say the least, how communist of you.

8. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Am I in a wrong thread?.........

By the way, John, Is that your girl on the rear end of your 348 spider? Niceeeeee..

9. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    This maybe should go as a PM, but I want to clear the air.

I think you read into this a little too much - maybe a little defensive - but I understand since you have recently experienced first hand the results of 9/11. No harm was intended and I'm sorry that a few others took the opportunity to flame you. No, I don't think lowly of you - as mentioned, I commend you. Why am I not over there and why do I mention my dad's service? He came back a mess, frankly. He insisted that niether me or my siblings should have to be exposed to what he had experienced. He was adamant about staying out of the service. You can call that a cop out on my part, but I lived through many years of his real depression and was woken up dozens of times in the middle of the night from his nightmares. I honestly hope that you don't bear similar scars from your experience.

I asked how you planned to spend the day with a serious tone (I think you took it as a challenge?). It sounded like there was plan - but I've not heard of how we are supposed spend this day. I mentioned Memorial Day - which used to be a day where we mulled around in a somber mood (growing up on military bases - everyone knew someone who was directly affected) and how it has changed into a three day weekend to spend with family.

I will quit. Sorry to have hit this nerve. And, truly, thank you for continuing to uphold my freedom. You have my respect. Well wishes to your comrades still over there.

10. superX

superX Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Dennis Briddell
    you are correct. My appologies to the Carolinas. My reply should have have been a PM, at most. That 2nd glass of scotch lubricates the keyboard if you know what I mean.