Ready to install Tubi | FerrariChat

Ready to install Tubi

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Merdav, Aug 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Now I just have to hope it comes by Friday or I'm f***** for the weekend.

2. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    wow that looks like alot of work just to install a tubi... I think I only removed
    a total of 6 bolts on the 348... You'll love it though! :)

dave
    indy

3. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    My 348 was the same. i took it out the top and put new one in the same way... but...i think i did the cats from lying on the ground :)

4. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    I actually did my cats last month from the top didnt have to remove the muffler, just loosened it. The Tubi would have gone in without removeing the bumber but the factory one can't come out like that.

5. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I helped a friend install his Tubi into the rear of his 355 Spyder -we had to tear the rear of the car apart like this.....a bit of work, but not beyond the realm of a complete novice. I think it took us about six/seven hours total, and there were many hidden bolts to find and remove from the rear bodywork....

6. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    I must be doing pretty good so far than, other than jacking the car up and removing the wheels, to the point to where you see it in my photo now only took an hour, I'm figuring on Friday when I install the Tubi another hour.

7. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Well, the tough part will be re-aligning the stock Catalytic/bypass fittings to the Tubi Muffler. They will not perfectly align, so you may have to loosen the whole exhaust linkage and play with it until things do line up. We also stopped to weigh the stock exhaust against the Tubi to see what the weight difference is. Disassembly is always the easy part....good luck, though!

8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Michael -

Didn't know you were the budding engineer. Betcha can't wait. Look forward to hearing the high-pitch scream!

9. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Yes Vik I bud in a number of specialties :). Well the Tubi is in took about 1.5 hours for the install and it went witout incident. I don't need to carry on about how it sounds, most of you know from you own cars already. But I am pumped mine sounds like that too now! Hyper-flows+Tubi ahhhhhhhhhh. I figured it needed a little while to break it in, so I gave it about 9 minutes before I got on RT135 and 8500RPM's, yeah it's broken in....
    Dave thank you again for your help, and you had me a little worried about revving over my redline I checked the specs, we were fine, 8499 RPM IS below limit. :)

10. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    congrats - nice job!

11. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Nice!! Now its going to sound as good as it looks!

12. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Thanks Ed, so pissed it's been raining most of the day, although it hasn't stopped me from cruising around, I'm just doing too much sliding out!

13. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    It was a whole weekend of upgrades, here's how the coversations went with the wife.
    Wife-(about challenge grill) it's makes the engine run cooler, was it overheating?
    Me-no
    Wife-(about Tubi)so there was nothing wrong with the other muffler?
    Me-no...
    Wife-(about slick shifter) so the other thingy for the shifter was fine?
    Me-yes...
    Wife-(about dead pedal)isn't that just where you foot sits when you drive?
    Me-yes...
    Wife-(about skid plates)aren't they just going to get all scraped up too?
    Me-yes...
    Wife-you should put really nice curtins in the car next.
    Me-why
    Wife-because if you spend another penny on it you going to be living in it...

They just don't understand

14. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    michael, your car looks hot!
    love the new gater shifter/pedals!
    cant wait to see it at brads!

15. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Thanks Jon, I know you mean Saturday, but I was just a Brad's about an hour ago showing him.

16. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Michael, that's got to be the funniest exchange I've heard in a while. Touche.

Hey, did you install the skid plates and the slick shifter yourself. Are these pretty much DIY projects? Do elaborate on time and effort required. Thanks.

17. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Hi Vik, well which should I start with?
    The hardest job was defiantly the Tubi, I would say a good two hours, you need a good set of tools I have a air rachet which is a HUGE help.
    Difficulty 8 out of 10 (10 being hardest)
    The challenge grill took about an hour, a few metric hand tools, a few tricky angels to get nuts off, 5 out of 10 (and a bandaid or two)
    Skid plates, have to jack up the front of the car remove both wheels, and remove the dirt shields. Drill 9mm holes, than just a allen key and wrench to tighten, 5 out of 10 (only becase you need a floor jack and drill)
    Gate slick shifter, unscrew the shift know and 4 screws it lifts right out, new one sane in reverse, total time 3minutes 1 out of 10, putting gas in the car is harder.
    Deal pedal, remove the factory one 1st which is just glued on, peel right off, inderneath is a metal plate 2 screws comes right off. Dead pedal in place (the old holes didn't line up for me) so just use my cordless screw gun and drove 2 new screws in, 10 minutes job 2 out of 10.
    Vik you want to install anything give me a call you can do a ROTMH I'd be happy to give you a hand.