1975 308 gt4 cylinder head stuck | FerrariChat

1975 308 gt4 cylinder head stuck

Discussion in '308/328' started by italoital, Feb 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italoital

italoital Rookie

Aug 17, 2009
    dear gentlemen,

i want to redo my 308 engine, but the cylinder head is stuck on the studs and not moving one mm.

someone has an idea how to loose them ?

i built a tool to pull it withe the spark plug threads-just destroyed the...

thanks,

mark

2. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I know this will be frowned upon !! I had the same problem . I built a puller that fixed to the inlet and exhaust manifold studs and I managed to damage some of those studs to !!!! My final fix was to modify a holesaw with a long rearshank and drill down next to the 6 center studs . Basically removing the corrosion around the stud . Yes it does increase the stud hole in the head slightly , but it's all vrot ( rotten ) with corrosion there anyway . The heads are located with dowls and not the head studs . You don't have to go all the way down , just enough to give the penetrating oil a nice pudle to sit in ( maybe an 1" and a half ) In a previouse thread of mine there is a pic .

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Do a search, there are a number of threads around that show/discuss different methods for removing these heads. It is a well known problem.

4. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
  5. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    I'll pass along advice I received from Brian Crall and recently used with good success. Remove all the head nuts, suspend the engine by a cylinder head and hang from an engine hoist slightly off the ground using the weight off the engine to assist breaking the head loose. Now comes the freaky part...heat the cylinder head casting with a torch. Make sure to keep the torch moving and get it HOT, as in close to 300 degrees. This expands the head casting and allows it to have clearance around the corroded studs. Once you heat the head, tap the head from whatever you can safely hit from underneath. If it's really stuck, reheat and repeat the procedure.
    My rear head was stuck pretty good and this method worked perfectly...had it off in 20 minutes. I've heard horror stories of guys spending 8 hrs. getting heads off. With your 2 valve motor, you may be able to fashion a puller because you can get a straight shot at the head studs and skip the hang the engine step...and maybe the beat with a hammer step too. That's NOT an option with a QV motor where the studs are hidden.

Heat it and it'll come off. When you have it on the bench, be thankful we have experienced guys like Brian to dish out 30 years of experience and advice for FREE on the net!!!

Spang