Clear film protector. Fade with time? | FerrariChat

Clear film protector. Fade with time?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SorpassoRosso, Jan 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SorpassoRosso

SorpassoRosso Karting

Jun 5, 2008
    I am considering installing a clear film protector (3M or similar) on a yellow F car.
    So while still doing some research on which brand to use, I ask the following question:
    The film is more noticeable on light colored vehicles. Mainly at the edges.
    With this in mind, does the product fades with time, sun, and weather elements to a point where it becomes opaque?
    Never done this kind of application before, and several people have warned me about this.

2. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I had faded & checkered clear bra material on my M3 that had to be removed.

3. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    well it depends on who you ask. I'm currently in the same boat.
    the installers all say that the film was improved but stop short of saying "never".
    I think one maker (venture shield?) offers a "lifetime" wrrty.
    Frankly, for me, if the CB can last say 4-5yrs, its done its job. good luck

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'll defer to the clear film experts on the site, but the sun is going to destroy anything over time. I would worry more about it becoming discolored than opaque.

The important question is whether old film can be removed without requiring a respray to remedy fading of the paint or damage to the paint upon removal of the film. If no problems there, then I think Kosmo is right -- you got your money's worth out of the film and should just reapply it.

5. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    I was just told by an installer that after 5 years there could be a problem when removing it. Mine has been on for just under 3 years (3m) works great looks great...but I'm thinking of a redoing it.
    Just what I was told.
    good luck,
    Bill

6. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Venture shield as stated above has lifetime warranty. Currently have it on both the 360 and my daily driver a MBand am pleased. The MB is for the most part exposed to lot of sunlight , extremely hot summers and cold winters. It has been on the silver car now 3 yrs and looks as good as day one. Incidently Venture shield per my installer is now owned by 3M. You can add a sunblock if your concerned when you wax the rest of your car. I use speed shine,but not sure if it has any block.
    Docf

7. ferrari_jjc

ferrari_jjc Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2004
    Had it on my black 360 for 4 years before selling it. And on the F430, 2 years before it getting totaled. Both no problems. Check with Premier (www.premiermobilegroup.com) to see what they say. Go to the pros for questions.

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I've seen it yellow on white cars. No probs here though. Car sees very little sunlight.

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    #9 DrStranglove, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  10. rp456

rp456 Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    I use a product called Clear Dose that conditions the material. After applying it, it feels like a newly waxed car. It prevents stains and keeps it from yellowing.

11. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    #11 kosmo, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
    yellowing on your yellow car should not be a problem! Just kidding.
    I recently found out the ventureshield offers a film called ULTRA, which has a lifetime wrrty + less orange peel than 3m.

I had my Mom's done w/ 3m and there A LOT of orange peel. to bad I didnt know about Ultra beforehand.

12. ShytheClearbraGuy

BANNED

May 20, 2010
    DC.VA.MD
    Full Name:
    Shy To
    #12 ShytheClearbraGuy, May 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
    I've removed Paint protection off cars that had it for 7 years with out any issues. Its all about how you go about doing it.

Most of my client's come back 3-5 years to get it redone because of all the damage its taken but not because it changed colors or had any defects, you can only do so much with waxing it to keep it looking great but at the end its going to do its job and thats to take the brunt of road damage.

-Shy

13. db6

db6 Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2010
    I bought the material from xpel and put it the front bumper of my '01 Mercedes. Did this in early '01.

The film hasn't discolored at all, but I have noticed recently that if you look at it very closely, when the light hits it in just the right way, it has kind of a "crazed" look to it. Like very fine spiderweb cracking. After 9+ years on a daily driver, I'm pretty impressed.

14. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    I have had the 3M Clear Bra product on my daily driver for almost 9 years, almost 100k miles,
    driven in all kinds of weather, temperature, debris etc. and have to say bar none, the best car accessory ever invented. The 10" deep piece on the leading edge of the hood is at the "crazing stage" and I am thinking of having it redone. I have absolutely no regrets and I feel I got waaaaaaaay more than my money's worth from the product!

15. tiresmokindad

tiresmokindad Rookie

Oct 18, 2009
    It depend of how you choose it. I think all things are fading with the time. I suggest you should not use the clear film protector.

16. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I don't know about "fading", but most of the film products will discolor over time and with exposure to UV. I'm in the process of removing all the "yellow" (formerly clear) film on one of my cars. BTW, it is a very tedious, PITA job!

17. hachemfh

hachemfh Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    Hi everybody,
    anyone knows what's the best way to clean the ventureshield withoud damaging it?

18. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I use speed shine @ ea. wash. when drying. I also use Giots waterless to clean at times. Has been on the MB for 4 plus yrs and looks great as a daily driver( 400 miles/week). On the Ferrari for 1 yr with no problems. Great product!

Docf

19. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR

Does it worlk for bad bug stains or rubber from following hot slicks on a track? I find it very hard to clean smudges without making them worse.

20. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    With the MB for 4 yrs have been through rain, snow, slush, tumble weeds. sand etc and it still looks great. I do admit I wash the bugs off Summer and Fall daily as grasshopper on the Plains are large and plentiful. Bug juice left on for a prolonged time esp in hot sun can stain anything. I have no stains on either the Ferrari or the MB. It is possible to scuff with abuse, but most buff out easily. Ventureshield is guaranteed for as long as you own the car I was told. I believe it can be owned in two different plys now. The intakes on the Ferrari are so much better than the stock material and if applied properly will have hard time seeing it. I have no financial ties to this great product.

I've owned cars in Co. prior to product and literally had minimal paint left on the front bumper @ 3 yrs as winds plus the elements took there toll.

We just moved to Fl. so will see if Moisture and Heat affect it!

Docf