Fire extinguishers | FerrariChat

Fire extinguishers

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F355_Berlinetta, Aug 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I know in order to drive your car on a track you must have a fire extinguisher, but where should you put it? I know it is an option on most Ferrari's and is put infront of the passanger seat, but I think it looks horrible there. I want to put it somewhere else, but I don't know where. Where do you guys have yours and can you post some pictures? Thanks.

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    H3R 2.5 lbs Halon in front of passenger seat.

3. That does not look that bad. Do your pasangers ever complain?

4. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Never as it does NOT get in the way. In fact the space between the seat and the extinguisher makes for a great soda bottle holder.

So see, an Italian can with 'cup holders' :)

5. The fire extinguisher I am planning on getting will be a little smaller then that one, so I will have more places avalible to put it. Anybody else have any pictures of theirs?

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Before you buy.... consider this: SIZE MATTERS.

2.5 pounds is about the smallest size that gives you a chance to douse a fire. Gasoline, in a confined area (like the engine bay) gets burning at a wildly crazy rate. Since Halon leaves no residue, you can just go nuts and spray everything -- giving yourself a better chance of extinguishing it. Moreover, you probably want a little left in the can just in case it reignites.

When fire erupts you're likely to be extremely nervous and frantic. The more Halon you got, the better.

If I could reasonably (and economically) fit 5 pounds, it'd be my choice. In the meantime, I think 2.5 is the right size.

7. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Eh hem... agreed.

8. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    The tech inspection rules for the FCA event at Laquna Seca say 2.5 lbs min.

9. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i have a friend who has a LOT of race car experience. he's also in the fire equipment business. i asked him about halon versus a powder fire extinguisher. he told me that halon is nice because it does not make a mess. and it is fine for a very small fire. BUT if the fire is substantial you won't have enough halon therefore he uses dry powder fire extinguishers in his cars.

i recently posted a thread asking for pros and cons of halon versus dry powder, but nobody seemed particularly interested...i was hoping i'd hear dozens of real life testimonials about how halon worked great in case after case.

since my friend raised some doubt about halon in larger fires you should pursue this before you conclude halon is the way to go.

just my two cents.

10. Alright, I guess I will be getting a Halon 2.5 lbs fire extnguisher. Thanks for all of your help guys. But where should I put it? Where do you guys put yours?

11. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I think SCCA says 5lbs but thats only that club. What club are you turning laps w/? I mounted one 5lb to the hatch floor in the middle right behind the seats in one RX7 and a 2.5 under the glove compartment in another for street use. In the 240Z its 5lb on the roll bar. California Car Cover has some nice chrome 2.5 ones for about $50. www.calcarcover.com

12. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I also had a friend in the fire biz and he was the exact oposit. He said in a car fire your best bet is Halon. Leaves no residue and therefore reduces the cost of repairs. The dry powder can agrivate hoses and rubbers, making a total engine rebuilt necessary unless you can immediately wash down the engine with water after the fire (most have other things on their mind).
    The advantage of Halon is that you do not have to hit the fire dead on. Halon is a gas that "searches" for the fire and will take her O2 from it. Meaning when/if you are trapped in a burning car you can ignite the bottle somewhat into the direction of the fire and have a chance.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say again, everybody should have one in EVERY car. Also your SUV. You may hopefully never use it for yourself but you may be able to aide a trapped driver and save a life. It should be standard equipment but our safety people think it is more important that our bumpers hold 5mph crashes. Talking about priorities!

13. Well put. I totally agree.

14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    See the pics at www.tradetutor.com/raceprep