New USF1 agreement | FerrariChat

New USF1 agreement

Discussion in 'F1' started by brian.s, Dec 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Very interesting, thanks.

So what happened to all the talk about the strong US carbon fibre and the construction opportunities by outsourcing it to the "high tech" NASCAR folks and to those great pictures of all that machining equipment sitting at BSF1's headquarter? Oh and what about the "chassis" that the Argentinian rookie spotted in the autoclave?

Now we send over the blueprints on a file and a UK shop machines all the parts?

Well, at least this is good news in the sense that maybe now finally some construction will get under way. They might not make it for the first race, but maybe to a later one (Canada perhaps?)?

3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Notice that they said the Tulsa facility will be the source. At least there remains a level of US in this.

Jeff

4. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    It is very puzzling; it shows that something is happening, but why the need to have it done In the uk? Unless they were the lowest bidder....

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I dont think it is cheaper to manufacture this in the UK than the US. But the whole idea of having the logistics here in the US and to fly back and forth after every race is just plain insanity. If they have the cars and parts made in the UK and put their operational base into Spain (Motorland as once announced), then the whole thing starts to look more realistic.

6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    That makes sense; I Also missed the Tulsa comment.
    How many cars do teams make these days? I'm thinking of the mid 90's, early 2000's when teams would make 8-10 cars per season....(I used to know the chassis numbers! Lol)

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm guessing half of that since you no longer have a muletto.

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    When you want the best, you come to the best! :D

Damn!, where did I leave that steel helmet?

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Isn't the USA actually closer than the UK to almost 1/2 of the F1 venues...Canada, Brazil, Australia, Japan, China, Singapore and maybe even Malaysia ?

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I thought Windsor said all the CF came from the states.

He can put this agreement in a glass frame and hang it in the wall next to the Jimmy Clarke poster he got off eBay.

11. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Except all the "free" FOM flights originate in Milan or Heathrow.........

12. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

The release says:

"Ken Anderson, US F1 Team President, CEO and Team Principal, said: "US F1 Team is pleased to announce ACG as a technical partner in the design and construction of our 2010 Formula One car. The team faces a tremendous challenge to design and produce the first American-based Formula One car in more than 40 years, and ACG's composites expertise will be critical for us to meet our goals and expectations in 2010 and beyond."

"The team faces a trememdous challenge to design and produce . . . ."

NO DESIGNS ARE IN PLACE?

Pardon my redneck vernacular, but "There ain't no way this car will be on the track in time."

13. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
  14. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #14 Crawler, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2009
    "The team faces a tremendous challenge to design and produce the first American-based Formula One car in more than 40 years..."

"Tremendous challenge." This almost sounds like the first quasi-admission that things might not be altogether on schedule; a subtle subtext couched in press release language. I'm thinking that the other shoe will likely drop right after the holidays.