328 black/black purchase - Coming to Indy (hopefully)! | FerrariChat

328 black/black purchase - Coming to Indy (hopefully)!

Discussion in '308/328' started by billhindy, Dec 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billhindy

billhindy Rookie

Sep 26, 2009
    #1 billhindy, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been looking for a 328 for years now and have finally found a really nice 1989 328 black/black, 24k miles at Bentley of Long Island. The PPI is being done by Luigi Scala at Universal (also Fchat tech) today and if all things are in order I should have it shipped to Indianapolis shortly.

The dealer described the car as 1 of 25 black/black 328's. I assume that is of 1989. Is there any place that would prove that? (nothing more than interested - still would love the car even if there were 1000 of them)

Does anyone know this car? 81485

Bill
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That would be for 1989 only, I am almost certain.

I read that there were a total of 43 black metallic 328s imported into the U.S., and black was far more popular.

Either way, it's still the best color for a 328, IMHO.

Just keep it out of that blizzard heading your way.

3. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    Nice.... Love those black Ferraris

Rick

(OK, all my street cars, trucks, bikes are black...)

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Looks nice!

Congrats!

You can talk to the Factory via website once you enter the VIN......they can confirm the color and maybe offer more info....

I think dealers grab numbers like that from ??? when they need to sell a car, but Bullfighter has kept good records on it, he would know...(from ownership of his black metallic one)

5. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    I have seen that car in the showroom, 1st hand. The paint looks decent and the mileage was low. I did not look into the engine compartment any further. Since you're getting a PPI, I would let them do all the work.

Of the cars that I have seen there, their prices are not the best. But what a showroom! I go there just to see the inventory...

Ace

6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Welcome to the 1989 black/black 328 GTS club. Membership is limited to about 25, but always debatable. Someone told me just 10 once, but with Euro versions, US versions, etc, who knows? Depends on who's asking and who's telling.

It is unique, but don't fret over how many exist - You wont see another one around for sure; I have only seen three for sale over the last few years, and there may have been a repeat in that.

Get it!

7. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Congrats in advance Bill. It looks beautiful. May you have many years of enjoyment out of driving and owning it. :)

8. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    All of my tires have been black - every last one of them!

Seriously, great looking car and I hope the PPI has no nasty surprises.

9. billhindy

billhindy Rookie

Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks to all! I really do like the black/black - it looks amazing for sure and my favorite color on the 328 (IMHO).

Bullfighter - thanks for the info. I was guessing that those #'s were for the 89 cars & yes, the snow is here, unfortunately - less than inch, but surely enough to garage the 328, if I had it!

Rick - almost all the cars I've owned are black too (I do have to admit to a Yellow H1 Hummer that I had for about 5 years)

Big Tex - thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely do that when I get it

Ace - Thanks for the 1st hand account. I'm eager to see that PPI and get a handle on the condition.

One additional question:
    They advertised it as having a "Major within the last year" - and OF COURSE it turned out to be 2004 when I looked at the records (which go back to 99, but the only major that is shown is in 04). So they have agreed to do the all the belts (~$2800) + whatever the PPI turned up as part of the price.

I've gone through what I think is EVERY post about 328's that Fchat has, and I see the word "major" connotated to mean anything from a belt service to full engine out(at least, that I can tell). Is it an engine out service that needs to be done every 5 years or just the belts/valve adj/water pump replacement all done with the engine still in the car that needs to be done? Should I have the whole engine out service done at this time?

Again, thanks for your help! Hopefully this car is a keeper, but not 100% now.

Bill H.

10. tim@timmikel.com

Mar 21, 2009
    Ventura, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim Mikel
    Hi Bill,

There are many people on this site that are far more knowledgeable than me, but as far as I know, (unlike some other newer midengine Ferraris) the engine need not come out unless it requires rebuilding, etc.

Congratulations on your beautiful car. I have an 89 as well, but it is red/cream.

Tim

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #11 Mule, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    If they do a major service per the Ferrari definition, and you can negotiate the price a little, seems like a fair deal. Best of luck; hope you get it. Honestly, you wont see another for a while. It is a bit newer than mine (79190), so it may even be the last black/black built.

The bottom line is the price equal to what you are getting - your point of reference; no one else's? If you want a 89 black/black GTS, everything works, with a recent major service, sure could be.

12. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    My neighbor next door has a very nice original black/black '88 328. Very nice looking car! My '82 308 is also original black/black. Whoda thunk two black/black 3X8s would be living right next door to eachother by random chance.....weird!

Love those black 328s!

13. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Beautiful! Welcome to the '89 club!!!!

14. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Looks nice man! Congrats and welcome to the club!!!

MB

15. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT
    #15 MJT328GTS, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    Might as well as myself to the list of 328 black/black owners. Bought mine in NC four years ago. I absolutely LOVE the color combination and wouldn't give this car up EVER!!

Someone told me on this forum that I have the first black 328 produced for the 1988 year. BTW, I have #74333.

16. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Cool! I bought my black/black 1989 328GTS from Ferrari/Maserati of Long Island.

17. Bevo

Bevo Karting

Feb 2, 2005
    columbus ohio
    Full Name:
    jack babbitt
    timing belts only done with engine in $1200-$1500 labor and parts..all 308/328 service done engine in unless gearbox work needed...engine "out" is for 348,355,TRs

18. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I have 79863. Is there an internet site to look up the serial numbers on these to find details of production? I know what the other VINs mean.

19. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #19 SMS, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
    Greetings from a fellow Hoosier black/black 3XX!

20. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    molto bella
    nero con nero

21. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    very beautiful
    black with black

i had one and i so regret selling it.
    number plate was NERO

22. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    very beautiful
    black with black

i had one and i so regret selling it.
    number plate was NERO

23. billhindy

billhindy Rookie

Sep 26, 2009
    #23 billhindy, Dec 18, 2009
    Thanks to all for the positive comments and genuine help. The car was in perfect shape, except it was just ready for scheduled service; which it is getting right now. Luigi Scala at Universal (Fchat tech also!) is doing the major + every single small issue that wasn't perfect (very few things) - see attached pics. Really looking forward to getting the car around Christmas (sadly so I can gaze at it in the garage for a couple of months before taking it out - unless mother nature grants us a couple of nice days with no residual sand/salt on the road).

Coincidentally, a fchat member - "Gary Res" was the previous owner. I emailed him via fchat & very graciously called to tell me about the car. Turns out to be the perfect car and he was just making space, but really loved the car. A really nice person who helped give me the 'warm & fuzzies' that I was wanting about the car. He also dropped off the car cover to the dealership so I could have it. VERY NICE! Thanks!!

Looking forward to getting it and taking out for spin with some of the local fchat guys - I'll email those of you that responded in the spring!

I've had every car that I've ever wanted except my Ferrari. Always got too impatient to find a well sorted, well kept 328 and ended up with a couple of 991 cabs, nsx, H1's, etc.... FINALLY joined the club. Pretty sure this will not be the last one!

Cheers & Happy Holidays!

Bill H.

24. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #24 venusone, Dec 19, 2009
  25. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT
    #25 MJT328GTS, Dec 19, 2009
    Nothing beats Black/Black in a 328. Here is mine after a detail job a few years ago. Looks even BETTER today!!

God I love my car!!!!