Starter Problem | FerrariChat

Starter Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Philjay50, Aug 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    While on holiday in my Mondial, the starter did not always engage when turning the key. It sounds like the solenoid clattering while trying to engage. some times something (and I don't know what) just hummed. Eventually the starter would engage and start the car. After a week of this it almost sounded like the battery was going flat as the process of clattering slowed down. At one point, just about to get on the ferry, it refused to do anything. One hour later, it started no problem. I got the car home and it has started after a few attempts, with the same systoms. I have a new battery on the car and have a relay on the starter switch/solenoid. Any ideas ! By the way this problem seemed to start after a heavy rain storm.

2. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    If it were me, I would check and clean all of the connections relating to the starter throughout the system. The fact that it periodically will start the car may indicate that a electrical connection somewhere in the system may not be clean or tight. Older Ferrari around here are prone to "grow" corrosion on the electrical connectors with the rapidity of mushrooms on a fresh cow turd.

I live in a very high humidity, hot-as-hell place in the summer months, and it is not at all uncommon for the starting system on any type automobile to exhibit the type problem that you describe.

Sometimes it is the starter or silenoid, but more common is the connection with the battery, battery ground cable, or corrosion or loosening of the connections at the silenoid itself. About a month ago, my brother and I just finished cleaning the connections on a truck I own which would make a noise not unlike grinding rocks in a food processer on one try and then starting the truck without problems on the next. The problem on the truck was the positive connector on the silenoid. The fixed stud onto which the electrical cable attaches is steel, the electrical cable connector is copper and the fixing washer and nut are steel. Differences in the rates of expansion seem to be the culprit here where the winter temperature can dip to 0 degrees F and the summer temperature can reach 105 degrees F combined with vehicle age, humdity and the vibration experienced with running and driving the vehicle. It does not take a great deal of corrosion to interrupt the connection with the starter system as this particular system requires the largest draw of amps and if the system doesn't get the amps cleanly, it may not work properly or consistently.

The change in the amount of moisture (your rainstorm) could have been enough to induce the changes in your starter system if one or more of the connectors were marginal at that time ...

Keep us posted

Best wishes

3. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    I trust you weren't over here phil ?.....as you didn't call in.
    see you soon......d

4. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Would I have dared not calling !! No I was in France for the Classic LeMans.
    HONEST !!

5. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    I trust your starter problem did not sour the trip too much.....i would be pleased to share your classic le mans experiences over a beer or two (bushy's finest), as a few of us are considering the trip next year (north west driveout 417)
    cheers for now phil.......d

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Did the problem occur every time you went to start the car? Ort only after a spirited run with the engine hot?

Any other details as to the conditions surrounding the problem?

I'm having the same trouble with my 246GT, but only whe the engine is good and hot.

Mechanic and I have been trouble shooting it, but so far, no luck. Re-shim, change solenoid, check battery, etc.

7. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Interesting question, I bought the car 3+ years ago and I think it have been standing for some time, I was told it did have a new battery fitted and generally it did start OK, bear in mind that the car, for various reasons did not get much use at this time either. Every now and then the battery would go flat and needed recharging and the car started fine, however, occasionally when running around, it would not start due to the problems mentioned before, persiverance or jump leads always seemed to work.
    I was advised to put a relay on to the soleniod as the voltage can drop and they are sensitive. I did this and the problem seems to have been solved.
    Before going to France, I put a new battery on the car and all seemed fine,
    the day before I was due to leave, the problem happened again, but I put this down to the fact that I had been messing with the lights etc and the battery was down, 30 mins on the charger and it was fine. And it was fine until the rain. Now to answer your question, sorry to have drawled on but at least you will have all the facts.
    There was no real logic that I could see, one day it started first time every time except for the first start of the day and that was a fingers crossed job.
    I suspect that when it was hot there may have been a problem, most of the time the car was started, run for an hour or so then left standing for a couple of hours, sometimes OK sometimes a problem, but always started. But on one occassion (at the ferry)I tried to restart almost immediately after a couple of hours driving and NOOOOOOOOOO chance, had to be pushed, again left it for <> hour, started straight away, got on boat, left it for a couple of hours or so, started straight away again.
    Hope all this makes some sense.

8. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Not really, I have faith, it always started, well almost, and the trip was great fun, a little slower that the "24" in every sense but loads of beautiful motors about. Love to talk on the topic, I have booked a trip to the fabled isle but cannot remember the dates. I will look up and call.
    Phil

9. maserati424

maserati424 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    frank gablenz
    If it happen again put 4th or 5th gear in and move the car alittle way forward or backwards.
    When the car starts immediatly, then i think the startermotor its self is the problem.
    The pinion of the starter got sharp ends to slide in the starterring and after a thousend starts it isn`t
    I hope it will help.

10. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #10 theunissenguido, Aug 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Archive

Troubles Starting? Maybe it isn't the starter!

Are you having troubles with the starter motor?

Don't fret too much. I had it, at first I thought it was the starter so I made rebuilt one for about 150 Euros because it is a Nipon Denso like Japaneses car so it was possible to find parts.

But finaly it was not it, it start one time and the next time it didn't work but made a "clac"(sound heard).

To repair it you must know that there is a red wiring harness (one end male other female) that does not appear in the manuals. To find the connector look under clutchpump (engine-leftside)

Be sure to check it to see that the connector is clean. Sometime it is not correctly connected as was the case with mine.

So the ground was bad.

Clean it very well and re-connect it. I used two addtional clamps to hold it better as you can see in the photo.

After this no more problems and only 150 euros lost (which you can save)! So try this fix before you rebuild your starter.

Happy Wrenching,
    Guido

About | Contact

Hosted by Interland: First Month Of Hosting FREE Copyright © 2002-2003 Kurvenlage, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #11 theunissenguido, Aug 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Funny you should mention this, it did cross my mind and while at the port I sort of half heardedly gave the car a push in gear but no go. I don't think I moved the motor so I will try it again.

13. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    Is there a connector like this also on the 348?
    I might have the same problem, but I cannot find the connector you are reffering to...

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The car picture IS a 348 model....

Perhaps this link will help:
    http://www.ferrariforum.net/tech/view.php?id=22

15. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    Thanks!
    Connector checked. There is none :)
    They must have changed this during the years (I have a -93 348 Euro)

16. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    here's something to read that may help in sorting out your problem ...

http://home.att.net/~ferrari/running1.htm

It is important to ensure that the connectors are clean and tight.

Having the vehicle start when cold, run well until the engine is hot and then fail to start the car: then sit for several hours then start the car ... bad connector, bad wire. Things expand when hot.

Me, I'm an accountant: My Father, brother, two cousins and a nephew all Electrical Engineers ... starter could be bad, but unlikely; solenoid could be the cause but the fact that it works when the vehicle is cold and not when hot would seem to indicate that rule-out the electrical system as the cause before performing mechanical repair. The fact that there was an event prior to the problem developing may further indicate that the problem is within the electrical system.

Keep us posted

Best wishes

17. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    I can go one better than that - I'm the DENSO starter / alternator sales engineering manager in the UK!

From these symptoms, it is really hard to pinpoint the problem (also not sure what kind of starter was fitted to the Mondial). As already posted, I can't emphasise enough the need for good, solid, clean connections in the system. Not only in the electrical connections themselves, but the mounting of the starter to the transmission / engine (earth path). In this case, I would tend to think that the problem is due to the solenoid line - it's chattering because there isn't enough power getting to the 'holding' coil to keep the starer engaged.

Anyway, definitely suggest cleaning all connections first before looking at the starter in more detail

Good luck!

18. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    And DEM raises with one starter / alternator sales engineering manager ... hmm, I think I have been trumped!

Glad you are involved!

Best wishes

19. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    At last - I win something! Might be worth doing the lottery this weekend................................ ;-)

Seriously, if anyone does have any starter / alternator problems, I'll do my best to help out with any advice!

Cheers,

Dem.

20. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    I had a similar problem with my 512TR and think I solved it today.

Two weeks ago I was on a 260 mile trip home in extreme heat (a bank sign in Quanah, Texas showed 110 degrees) and I stopped for a few minutes to get a bite of lunch. When I tried to re-start, nothing happened. The radiator fans were running so I couldn't hear if there was a click or anything baut I know the starter never engaged. After about five tries with the starter switch it took off.

Yesterday I was driving in slightly cooler temps (only 102) and after a five minute stop, it wouldn't start. The fans weren't running this time so I listened and watched carefully what was happening. There was no click from the solenoid but I noticed the warning lights in the dash dimmed slightly when the starter switch was turned indicating that the solenoid was pulling some current. After 4 or 5 tries it engaged and started.

I assumed something very complicated with the ECU or a sensor of some sort was involved and would take a dealer technician to solve. As a first step I thought I'd remove the starter and see if there was a glaring problem. There sure was; the Bendix drive splines were gummed up where I could barely turn the gear to the point of engagement by hand. After washing with solvent it freed up where one finger could move it. I thoroughly cleaned everything at the drive end of the starter and lubricated the Bendix and planetary gear drive. I did not pull the plate at the brush end of the starter for fear of opening a can of worms with no parts available. Ferrari only lists the complete starter in the parts book with no separate parts, not even the solenoid.

I re-installed it and the engine started quickly and I feel the problem is solved, but the real test will come Saturday when I make a longer drive. I don't know how hard the starter is to get to on a Mondial, but on the 512TR it is on top and very easy to remove. Just be certain to turn off the battery switch or remove one battery terminal before touching the terminals with a wrench.

Does anyone know if the starter is Bosch? The solenoid was made in Germany but I find no other markings. The starter did have a decal on it from a starter shop in Ft. Lauderdale, so I assume parts are available.

Hope this helps.

Ron

21. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have come to the conclusion that I will need to remove the starter and clean it jusrt for peace of mind, then I can also make sure that all the connections are good, includedong I think the often overlooked earth !
    The mondial starter is very cunningly hidden away at the front off the engine, next to the bulk head at the bottom behind the exhaust and a under a heat shield. But hey what the hell I haven't scrapped my knuckes for a week of two.

22. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    An interesting turn of events, got the car in the air and I notice that the generator is also in the way. However feeling a little dispodant, I checked the heavy duty cable first and gave that a good clean, and for some reason thought I would take a look at the relay I put in to make sure that the solinoid got good voltage, it worked but badly, changed it and all seems to be ok !

23. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    On the 512 starter topic, i would surmise that the unit must be a Bosch. As I have an 82 Mondy in right now to undo some sodium valve destruction, one of the things we wanted to do was to go thru the starter. Sourceing a solenoid found the Ferrari replacement was well, priced like a Ferrari part. So I looked into it, and a solenoid from a mid 70's VW Buss, Bug, etc, will drop in. Priced like Bug parts, at around $20.00, the only differance is an extra terminal, no doubt from past years when points required ballest resistors.
    HTH..
    Kermit

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    all Ferrari startes are bosch. You can get them through any Bosch parts dealer at more then half the price the Ferrari dealer will sell them. I was quoted 2200 for a TR starter. I went next door to the Bosch dealer..650