Ferrari fire extinguisher! | FerrariChat

Ferrari fire extinguisher!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SrfCity, Jul 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

After hearing of a fellow F-chatter losing his 355 to a fire I thought it a good idea to get a Halon fire extinguisher. I spoke to Chris at H3R and he was very helpful and mentioned he had already heard of this incident and had had some calls. Anyway he said that he'd give 10% off to all F-chatters.

The site is:

http://www.h3r.com/products/home_vehicle.htm

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Ciao

2. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    what are the advantages of halon versus dry powder? i ordered the fire extinguisher option with my car, and it is dry powder.

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    The 2.5 lbs unit in the 308 here is by them. Good stuff :) ...but hope i never need to use it.

4. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Halon is an oxygen replacing gas of some sort, that robs the fire of the O2 required to burn, but doesn't get powder all over everything. I have been doing a bit of research since the 355 fire, and apparently that dry powder is really caustic and a bear to clean up. Halon doesn't do that.

Cheers
    Kevin

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

OUTSTANDING!!! I was just about to pull the trigger on another bottle tonight! How do we claim the discount? Call Chris directly?

-Daniel

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Here's his e-mail........

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your purchase, and for offering to spread the word about H3R!

From now until August 31, anyone who remembers "1211" (as in Halon 1211), can receive 10% off on any H3R fire extinguishers for home and vehicle use.
    Go to http://www.h3r.com/products/home_vehicle.htm and follow these steps:

Select the product(s) you want to buy
    Click on the "checkout" button
    Click on the "Redeem Coupon" link
    Type "1211" in the "Offer number" field
    Click the "Redeem Coupon" button.

I have attached the pdf that didn't make it to you Monday.

Regards,

Chris

P.S. Let me know how it goes with the mounting of your new extinguisher.

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I just bought mine a couple months ago. NOW they offer a discount!! That's alright the peace of mind was worth it!!

8. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Scott -

Help! Do you have an email addy for Chris at H3R? I just placed my order and there was absolutely no chance for a discount code or anything at all.

-Daniel

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Try these guys:
    http://www.westernfireandsafety.com/news.htm

I bought a 5lb Halon unit from them a year or two ago for $89 on sale. They run specials all the time. Call and see what the price is for 2.5lb and 5lb units.

Regards,
    Dave

11. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Ask for a old Halon unit which is better than Halotron

They can't recertify and fill oil Halon units for use in commercial bldgs but the extinguishers are fine and you can get them cheap, I got a 3.5 lb for $35 from a local company.

12. tao

tao Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    The H3R site worked fine for me. Just bought a Ferrari-red 2.5lber. Model C352TS. Thank you.

13. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    Powder extinguishers are caustic to the metal components in your car. The cars we see that have been exposed to powder extinguishers show significant corrosion to the zinc cad pieces as well as on aluminum (engine blocks, heads, etc). What it does to the wiring and electrical components isn't so great either.
    Moral of the story is to be safe and buy Halon even if it costs more money. Lastly, it's easy to say that you will clean the powder off the car but believe me, that stuff gets in places you didn't know you had places.

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

And trust me, ANY piece of electronics dry chemical gets to will be destroyed.

15. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Don't forget you need a good mount. The dimensions will likely have to be slightly changed for a 355 or 360, but the basic pattern will still work.

www.tradetutor.com/raceprep/

16. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i asked a friend of mine who has experience with different fire extinguishers about powder versus halon. if i understood him correctly it seems that halon is good if the fire is small because the size of the extinguisher that you would typically carry in your car doesn't have enough capacity to put off a signifcant size fire. the powder extinguisher of the same size apparently can put out a larger fire. my friend has a new stradale, and he concluded that in spite of the "pitfalls" of powder he is going to install a powder extinguisher.

17. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

OK here's the deal with H3R. After sarcasticly posting the above, I received an e-mail from Laura at H3R telling me she was sorry I didn't get a 10% discount when I ordered, to call her when I was ready to order again and she would make sure I got the discount. She didn't want me to feel cheated.

How great is that!!!?? As I told her, that's the kind of attention to customer service that will keep me going back to them. In these days of automated phone lines and impersonal (or non-existent) customer service it's nice to know there are still a few companies who care about how thier customers feel, not just how much they spend.

Just to give them another plug, here is where to buy your extinguisher!!!

http://www.h3r.com/products/home_vehicle.htm

18. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I'll give them a plug too. When I missed the "coupon" button during checkout, I called H3R the next morning. They were absolutely over-the-top helpful, and immediately credited my charge card with the 10% discount. All merchants should be that easy to work with !

Thanks H3R! I'm eagerly awaiting my Halon.

-Daniel

19. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JUST ORDERED MY CHROMED ONE WITH THE 10% DISCOUNT........NO PROBLEM......................

20. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Good deal guys!

FYI, here's my install on my 360. Behind the passenger seat there's a panel for the puter etc. I removed the cover and drilled a couple of holes using the below fasteners I found. The extinguisher is out of the way and easy to grab if need be. I was looking for a low key fix on my Tit/blk ;)

21. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Btw, the extinguisher is a 1 1/2lb and it comes with a black bracket. I went small as this is enough to extinguish a typical fire on this year of vehicle.

22. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

One last shot.........

23. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    LOOKS BEAUTIFUL SURF..........BUT I DONT WANT TO DRILL HOLES IN MY TR

ILL PROBABLY MOUNT IT ON THE SIDE OR UNDER IN FRONT OF PASSENGER SEAT USING WIRETIRES

BRUCE

24. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I bought a mount several years ago from a company that no longer is around (unfortunately, as they had all sorts of cool f-stuff) and modified it by making it smaller and less weight. It mounts on the front rails of the seat and in the second picture the seat is all the way back. When you move the seat up there is no problem. I is an optical illusion too as with the seat all the way back it sits neatly under your legs, I even have a leather cover to match it. It would be very simple to make one of these and I think there is a diagram to a similar one in a past post.

25. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Robert,

I like your idea of spraying the walls flat black in your garage. It hides a lot and looks pretty cool especially with the logos, flags or whatever :)