Anyone's 355 Spider wreck yesterday on Topanga? | FerrariChat

Anyone's 355 Spider wreck yesterday on Topanga?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by maranelloman, Jul 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Saw this elsewhere: "went to Gladstone's for some grub and on the way back on Topanga Cyn, there were fire trucks trying to turn around with cops stopping traffic to make that possible. The delay was about 5 mins and we were thinking maybe some ******* dropped a cigarrete, but what we actually saw was red 355 Spider right side up past the barrier under some trees with its engine compartment burned beyond recognition. Only just barely saw it because it caught the corner of my eye as traffic started to move but I can't imagine how it got past the barrier. "

Hope it is not a FChatter, and that the occupant(s) are OK...

2. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I think Ferrari needs to rethink the wisdom of locating fuel tanks in the engine bay.

Way too many 355s and 360s are involved in fiery crashes.

3. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Sounds more like a driver problem to me. 328's never had this problem, IIRC, with their "measley" 260 HP, and their tanks are very similarly located to the 355/360, aren't they?

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I am concerned about this also. My gas cap gets so hot I will burn my hand on it if I don't use the rubber hand grip. I have to be so careful if I fill up while the car is hot. I don't know how this is safe.

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

This was an F-chatter. He was unharmed. I'll let him tell the story though......

6. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    it was not a crash. it was a member of the ferrari driving club (and an fchatter...i don't know his fchat name). i spoke to him today, and he said he'd post pictures (and i assume the full story). he was returning home after the st. regis hotel breakfast and drive on saturday. he told me he smelled gas and then heard some muffled noises and saw flames. he pulled over and set his parking brake and got out of the car. he did not have a fire extinguisher. the car was on fire and the parking brake failed and the car rolled into the brush...apparently igniting a small brush fire. nobody was hurt, but apparently the car is a total loss :(

7. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Thanks, Rick. I am SO glad no one was hurt!!

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    fwiw, my 355 NEVER did anything like this. the gas cap was always manageable. never "hot". maybe "a tad warm" now and then, but nothing like what i think you're describing.

doody.

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.

Thanks for the info................ now I'm more concerned.

10. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    My gas cap gets very hot also. I sometimes use a rag to remove it.

11. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Wow, I glad he's alright. I wonder what caused the fire?

12. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    This is Mike Sage right?? Damn Im glad he is ok!!

13. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    yes. he said he'd post the pics so i'm sure we'll learn all the details soon.

14. msage430

msage430 Formula Junior
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2004
    calabasas
    Full Name:
    mike sage
    Thanks 720,
    you gave a very accurate account of what happened.

I was on Topanga cny on my way home from PCH North bound,
    About a mile in I smelled fuel, wile trying to decide were and how to pull out of traffic
    I slowed almost to a stop and pow!! a muffled bang !!

I know what just happened, I pulled the emergency brake and opened the back and fount hood and got out,

First I looked in the engine compartment and saw flames from near the fire wall
    Then grabbed my stuff out of the bonnet (FDC CD and car cover duffel bag) walked away as the car burned and I was on hold with 911.

Moments later about 3 to 4 minutes, several pops and a whistle sound from the tires. The car started to roll backwards
    Toward the hill and them in to the ditch were it stopped.

The burning car started a small brush fire as the fire tucks arrived.

The fire was put out quickly.

Here are the photos from my cell.
    Every thing happened so fast that at first I forgot I had a camera.

15. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Man, I feel bad for you Mike. Glad your alright. I hope everything gets worked out in the end.

16. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    My condolences, Mike... From one guy that has lost a f-car to another... I can only say, look on the brighter side... I'll tell once again what I told you yesterday...It could have been far worse - I am just happy you escaped unharmed... (and not to mention, saved the DVD!!) I have to commend you for your positive attitude, though... more people would be cursing at the world - you are all class, man.

I couldn't believe it when you told me and I'm still in shock now - it's really a shame you didn't have an extinguisher with you at the time...but do you think it would have helped in this case?

In any case, let's all band together and keep a lookout for a clean, well-driven, well-maintained red/tan F355 spider for our friend Mike. He will need another car to go out on the runs again soon!!

Mike - let me know if you need anything at all.

B.

17. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I agree with Byron -- for someone who just escaped from a burning 355, you were remarkably calm and collected ont he phone! I'm just glad you are okay.

What happened to the windshield?

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Mike - The mind reels at the prospect of being in your shoes at this time, but you are irreplaceable - a car... any car, is not. Glad you had the wits to pay the one thing that is free - attention.

19. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    My guess is that when the fire trucks sprayed the car with water/foam, the hot glass just shattered with the cool liquids... it's remarkable how the tires didn't burn!

B.

20. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Reminds me of Homer and Bart chasing behind the pig on a spit saying: "Its still good, its still good.." Finally coming to the realization: "Its gone!"

Sorry Mike. Its only a car. No worry. It is replacable and as long as no life was hurt or lost, there is no harm done.

Fuel lines can be a bi*ch. You clamp them too tight they break, you leave them too lose and they fall off.

A friend of mine had a similar thing happen with his Diablo Race car when an oil line started dripping onto the exhaust manifold. Ignited and started burning.

All this should be a reminder again that we all should carry a fire extringuisher in our cars. Mike may have been able to control this fire and put it out himself and/or someone else with one may have been able to stop and come to his aide. A $40 investment that can potentially save someone's life.

Mike check the website for my inventory. Maybe I have the right replacement for you.

Martin

21. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Mike,

I'm VERY HAPPY to hear you are OK!

DL

22. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Mike, I don't know you...but nevertheless am glad that you escaped intact. I am really sorry for your loss.

The photo of your poor car, on a flat bed, in front of the Lotto sign, was especially ironic.

Best wishes,

Dave

23. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hey Mike

Jeez that's a crap way to end your Saturday but certainly glad you're ok.

Cheers
    Kevin

24. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    IMHO. Every sportscar should have an on board fire system. 4 Liter SPA. Current and armed.

25. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Mike, sorry for your loss.

Dom