348 Window Motor | FerrariChat

348 Window Motor

Discussion in '348/355' started by sparta49, Jul 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    It looks like my pass. side window motor died on me today in the down position :( . I removed the motor and it looks like a standard Bosch part, anyway I found one on the net that looks like it might work for $70.00 the link is below: Incidently I went to Autozone to get a relay for the window and the guy behind the counter insisted on looking it up in his computer, well I told him it wasn't in there but if he must know it was out of a Ferrari, his response " who makes Ferrari , Ford? "

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=mt4510-00-001

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

If you purchase that motor, could you kindly keep us up-to-date with the fitment and operation? I'd love to spend <$200 for new windows!

-Daniel

3. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    daniel, I'm going to call them Monday and check the Bosch number on it, it looks identical to the one I took out of the car

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    sparta49,

Good find! how did you locate that? Anyway that company is in the city I work in. Maybe they have tips on how to cure the Ferrari slow motor problems with a slick rewire scheme. ASk them and post the results here.

5. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I don't think there is a rewire trick for the 308 series but this does look like the 348 motor which the 348 motors are lightening fast compared to the 308s

6. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    daniel, I just checked with the company and the Bosch part numbers are identical I ordered one for each side as my drivers side is showing the same symptoms the pass. side did before dying completely. Total cost shipped over night for both motors was $185.46

7. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I thought I was going to either have to replace my motor or wiring harness on my car, it ended up being the connector to the top of the motor. All I had to do was crimp it a little tighter and that solved the problem. The test would be to see how much resistance there is when unplugging the connector to the motor. If it virtually just pulls off with no effort at all, this may help.

Let me know if this works for any of you. It seems a little suspicious that mine was also the passenger side window that was giving me problems.

Mike

8. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Besides the normal cleaning and lubing of the tracks and associated hardware,
    two methods of curing slow windows, that I have seen are, to clean the old grease out of the motor gearbox and replace with new (maybe synthetic) and mount relays in the doors with a heavy 12 volt feed directly to them, using the switches for control purposes only.

The relay system will not only supply better power to the motor, it also extends the life of the switches by only running low power/current through them.

Regards,
    Bill

9. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    as Hawkeye said on MASH , " I studied dead and this motor is dead" I hooked it directly to a battery and it doesn't move at all either way. The plug was on fairly tight as well. It started needing a little assistance at first and then Sat. refused to move at all.

10. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I must have missed the fact that you had hooked a battery up to it in your first post. I work in IT so I tend not to assume ANYTHING! :)

I was just hoping that if others who haven't yet tried bypassing everything by hooking a battery up to the motor to test, wouldn't bypass an easy free fix before going out and buying new motors etc.

Mike

11. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The motors arrived today they look identical however I will install them tonight and let everyone know how they work, both arrived shipped overnight for $184.90 from A1 Electric in Torrance CA

12. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    that was for the pair including shipping

13. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The motors are a perfect fit , only now I have another problem, the motor will only roll down for some reason they won't reverse but the original one is doing the same thing, they are getting power to the wires on the motor but it will only spin one way I have 13. 4 volts at each wire (going to the motor) when the switch is pressed. Also when power is run directly to this style motor they won't turn either way does it ground through the switch ?

14. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    If I am not mistaken, I think it grounds through the motor itself. I am curious, you said the original motor was dead completely. How is it that it is doing the same as the new one? The reason I ask is I wonder if the motor is the problem at all. I am sure you have heard by now that the 348 door pin connectors are usually the problem with the windows in these cars. I had the same problem and just eliminated the connector. Now my windows are perfect.

15. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In an earlier post:

16. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Ok so it's not "dead" It was merely sleeping :) No when I hooked it up to a battery I was expecting it to run but of course it did not. Soooooo , i thought it dead and buried it :) . Anyway I think it may be traced back to the drivers door pins, but the pass side did start moving up with the new motor about 6 inches and stopped but went back down, I thought the glass was misaligned and removed it but it did the same thing without the glass, now it has died completely again :( I'm considering selling it for a Corvette with crank windows and radio and a/c delete ) :) :) :)

17. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sparta, definately don't give up yet. I was getting really super frustrated with my passenger side window. I'd take off all the interior door panels, all of a sudden, it would start working again, I'd put it all together again, and I'd cycle it several times. Still works. I'd be so proud of my accomplishment, I'd go for a drive, the minute the car moved (just enough vibration, in my case, for the connector to work its self loose again) and whammo, the window was either stuck again with in the down position, or the up position. When I finally worked out what the problem was, it was a huge relief!!!

Good luck, keep working at it, you'll get it, I'm sure of it!

Mike

18. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    You could do what I did and just rewire the whole thing and eliminate the door connectors. They are usually the problem. My doors are hard wired now and they work fine. All you have to do is take it all apart, remove the connectors, pull the pins, drill out the holes, and run new wire from door to door. It only took me a day to redue the whole thing.

19. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Charles -

Do you have a pin/wiring diagram for the door connector? I'm wondering if there's an easy way to indentify which pins control which items (windows, speaker, marker light, etc)

I've got the wiring diagram that's in the WSM, but I'm no rocket scientist.

-Daniel

20. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    I have the same diagram. It's not difficult to trace out though. All you have to do is pull back the rubber boot on the connector itself and you can see where each wire goes. They are all color coded and the pins are numbered so you can see which male pin goes to which connector on the female side.