Raise Your Hand if You Want 3 Pedals! | FerrariChat

Raise Your Hand if You Want 3 Pedals!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Fastpants, Jul 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fastpants

Fastpants Karting

Jan 24, 2006
    South Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    It has been mentioned before that Ferrari themselves may or may not visit and read F-chat from time to time. I have no personal indication as to whether this is fact or not, but seeing as how just yesterday they finally revealed preliminary details on what is going to be a high-volume (for Ferrari) unit, it would not be foolish to think that Ferrari would be examining the web closely to gauge the reaction of the public. It would also probably be a safe bet that this site would be pretty damn high on their list.

Also, I have not yet seen or heard any solid indication that a standard, "row your own" 3-pedal manual transmission would be available on the 458. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, Ferrari, if you're listening and the jury is still out on this matter, please take this as one vote in favor of offering a standard manual on this new model. I understand about all of the tweaking done to the 7-speed paddle-shift gearbox and all the work that has gone into refining the 7 ratios. Great! That being the case, give us the first 7-speed fully manual gearbox! Just dogleg first gear to the left and down on the shift pattern (IMHO).

Fellow F-chatters, please use this thread to express your thoughts on the matter. I know if I was Ferrari, I'd have my ears open! Lot of customers on here!

2. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #2 JDZNate, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. alecela

alecela Formula Junior

May 12, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Jester
  4. aschultz19

aschultz19 Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    Plain"Jane"Field, IL
    Full Name:
    Tony..........
    I think the pic above says it all...... :)

On a serious note, I have found the pleasure of the gated shifter and am still contemplating a 360 with a manual However don't you gated shifter fans ever get tired in the city where there is much more stop and go...?

My rule of thumb, 360 or earlier = gated, 430 and up = F1

Tony.........................

5. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Depending if for you driving such a car is for pleasure, or just going to point A to point B.

sometimes my jaw get tired shewing a good steack, that doesn't mean i would put it on a blender to eat it.

6. Fastpants

Fastpants Karting

Jan 24, 2006
    South Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Stand up and be counted!

If you are an actual order holder, please include that as part of your reply, you lucky bastards.

Also, if you feel that manual trannies have had their time and should go the way of the dodo, please state your opinion!

If Ferrari is listening or not, I'm simply curious as to where people stand on this issue.

Love and too much coffee,

Nick

7. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    As an owner of a 360 6 speed, I can't imagine a beast like the 458 only made with F-1 transmission. I feel so much more in control with a manual tranny, and it's a hell of a lot more rewarding and fun. Let the e-diff and traction control be the computer nanny in the rear but I want to drive up front. Please, please Ferrari make a manual version as well. I believe Mr. Enzo Ferrari would cry foul if this integral part of driving were left to someone else. And was it not Luca that said as long as he was there a stick would always be offered? I hope someone is watching or my 360 may become an antique in my lifetime.

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I too would prefer to have a 6 sp. manual . Personal preference i guess .

9. Grant

Grant Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    Denver, CO USA
    I would definitely opt for a manual 7-speed!

10. Parker

Parker Karting

Mar 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    This reminds me of all the people that cried out when BMW wasn't going to offer the new M5 with a manual transmission. There was a whole grass roots campaign here in the US and finally BMW of North America got with the head office and they decided to offer the M5 with the manual transmission. All the manual freaks praised it, all the dealers brought in lots of manual M5s..........then nobody bought them. All that crying out by a small group consumers didn't result in higher sales for BMW. Now, I also do not want to see the manual die as I know there are people out there that truly do enjoy it, but from a business perspective it just isn't that profitable to make manual anymore when you have things like the F1 and double-clutch systems. Consumers (I am sure all the manual freaks will call the poseurs) don't seem to want a manual anymore. Technology has surpassed the shifting abilities of us mere mortals. It will be sad to see it go, but it will not be long before a true manual transmission is a thing of the past in exotic cars.

11. RBG

RBG Karting

Jan 18, 2009
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RBG
  12. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Not only is the manual gone in exotics the manual is gone in all cars. According to MSN only 3% of ALL new cars sold in the US were manuals. It's hard to find a manual in a Kia let alone a Ferrari.

13. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Raise your hand if you want a manual choke!

14. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Count me in for a manual 7 speed, also power steering delete youlose so much road and driving sensation with power steering.

Ferrari should make a manly driver version of the 458 at least as an option, have the automatics and power steering for the frail old men that need it for being in traffic or driving through parking lots since its so tiring physically and requires coordination to shift and turn with a manual and non power steering.:)

15. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Yeah, IN the US
    because USA is were almost all ferraris are sold, and it that country people don't use manual.

Take europe and you have your numbers reversed ;)

16. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Count me in for a manual 7 speed, also power steering delete youlose so much road and driving sensation with power steering.

Ferrari should make a manly driver version of the 458 at least as an option, have the automatics and power steering for the frail old men that need it for being in traffic or driving through parking lots since its so tiring physically and requires coordination to shift and turn with a manual and non power steering.:)

17. Parker

Parker Karting

Mar 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    I used to think the same way......when I was 16. If you really want to make it "manly" then get rid of all those girly things like abs, traction control, e-diff, air conditioning, etc. Hell, to truly be a man's car it should have a hand crank to start it as well. Then we could paint it camo, grab a six-pack of Pabst blue ribbon, and go fishin down at the crick. :)

18. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I feel the exact same way. I was not impressed with the F1 gearbox on the 360 but on the cars after that, its spectacular!

I'll take the modern technology please. There are plenty of Ferraris out there with the old technology for those who want to live in the past. :)

19. RacerXF599

RacerXF599 Karting

Jan 1, 2008
    USA/ UK
    Full Name:
    James
    Hello All,

Given a choice I would always choose gated shifter. And yes even in traffic. I think the Ferrari gated shifter is a thing of beauty. It connects the driver to the car it is what Ferrari ownership was about. I respect the F1 and understand why people choose it and maybe in the California I would too, but in the 458 I want gated. Just my two cents.

cheers

20. Grant

Grant Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    Denver, CO USA
    I'll gladly take it, if that's the price for a gated 7 speed shifter :)

21. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #21 climb, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
    A Ferrari road car without a gate shifter is not a Ferrari.

Why take away an icon of the marque?

The first thing i look for when walking up to a Ferrari i like is the gate shifter and if it isn't there a feeling of dissapointment comes over me.

22. KenneBraun

KenneBraun Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    Renton, WA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Braun
    What he said =)

Not that Ferrari would ever do this, but I am also a fan of the manual steering option. As someone who likes to race, I have found that my cars with manual steering feed me more response on track/road quality than the power steering ones do. The quality of pavement changes dramatically from corner to corner and even from side to side of the track/lane due to oil spills, debris, marbles, cracks, etc.

23. Caholo1

Caholo1 Rookie

Jan 5, 2006
    Alamo, California
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I'll take a manual transmission, 6 or 7 speed.

24. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    My very girly and liberal girlfriend said not having a manual on a Ferrari is "gay".

25. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Well said. I can only support this statement 100%.