Help! Broken Head Gasket on my 360, cost $12,000.00 to fix. | FerrariChat

Help! Broken Head Gasket on my 360, cost $12,000.00 to fix.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by OceanSide760, Jul 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OceanSide760

OceanSide760 Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    #1 OceanSide760, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
    i have a broken gasket on my 2003 360 coupe' and they charged me $12,000.00 for a fix. Is this normal?

please help!

2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Sounds like my first options trade!

Ba dum bump...

Seriously, what caused your head gasket failure? Water temp overheating is probably the most common reason. Once the coolant overheats, the aluminum heads warp. This breaks the gasket's seal and pours coolant into your oil, and oil into your coolant.

To repair, you've got to replace or machine/repair all of the warped aluminum heads, then apply new gaskets, fluids, et al. Since most people are already in deep at this point, the trivial extra expense to do a full 30k belt service is typically done at this point, as well.

No big deal when you look at it that way. You just paid $12k for what would otherwise have been a $4,500 Service that needs to be performed once every 3 years or so. Basically a $7,500 penalty for overheating the car.

3. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Sorry to hear that you have a problem. I suppose the main thing is what else has the problem caused by way of damage. Head gaskets do not just wear out, usually there is a water problem ie overheating etc. Usually the gasket is replaced after checking the heads are true and that there are no other problems, perhaps your mechanic is doing the major service at the same time ie belts and all necessary hardware. I would suggest that the job would not generally cost this much if the only damage was the gasket needing replacement.
    Some of our more learned colleagues should give a better idea for you.

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    For the sake of accurate discussion, I think you should let us know exactly what "they" did on your car for $12,000. I'm sure it was more than just "R&R Cylinder Head, Replace Gasket".

5. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #5 brian.s, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
    Sounds a little 'closing the doors after the horse has bolted'! It would be nice to be able to check a poster's profile for some insight, please fill in yours.

As mentioned, if you could post all the work on the invoice we may be able to provide some insight and explanation, although the dealer should sit down and itemise along with justification all of the charges.

HTH, B.

I have just finished a Lambo, "oil line blown", bottom line $32K. Obviously much more involved than "oil line blown".

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I would have to agree that more than just the Head gasket was replaced. Scan the Repair Invoice in a PDF form and post it to see what all was replaced and the labor charges.

7. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Need to fix whatever caused your car to overheat and then fix whatever damage was done after it overheated in addition to the heads.

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Nice first post ;)

You need to provide more information.

9. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    What's the serial number of the car?

10. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    +++

BTW, I have never heard it called "broken head gasket" before - always "blown head gasket". Soft seal things, I was taught, "blow out" or "leak" while hard metal or plastic things "break" or "burn out".

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Expensive to drive......expensive to fix....

Welcome to the website though.....

12. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Sounds like a fair price to do the job properly.

13. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    this is not a common occurence on a 360.. it's more in line of a very bad luck situation.. sorry to hear it happened.. just pay attention to all fluid temp levels etc. and at the first sign of a problem.. stop and tow car.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    whenever I read a post like this, I think like this was WebMD and the person wrote: "Help! I went to the hospital, spent two days there, and they charged me $12,000. Is this normal?"

There just isn't enough information here to even guess.

15. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Commission? LOL!

16. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Root cause, versus resulting damage...Do folks miss this concept frequently, or what?

17. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    The consumer is not the only one. I spent an hour on the phone today with a warranty administrator explaining why I need to replace all of these parts on a 1 week old engine that had an oil seal fall out of the engine side cover.

Halitos likes this.
  18. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    how about posting a copy of ther work/repair order for the bill for said 12,000.00 invoice...shold make for interesting reading....

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    One post wonder, I guess. How are we supposed to fix a $12K charge for a broken head gasket?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Reminds me of all the people who bring me their recently acquired used Ferrari and ask what I think of it.

What do you say? Ship already sailed.

21. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Ha ha.! I cringe during the weeks of and after some of the 'faketions' (auctions) when the phone calls start with "I was at Wacksem Barfitt auction and bought a nice........"