Yellow Ferrari Brake Calipers | FerrariChat

Yellow Ferrari Brake Calipers

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jdb, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    #1 jdb, Dec 2, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. dalbright

dalbright Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Naples, Italy
    You can go to there website and I believe they'll actually do the brakes in any color you'd like.

http://www.movit.de/htm/fer355.htm

Just email them and you'll probably get an answer.

3. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    I have the yellow calipers on my Bl/Bl 575M...........striking against the black car with shields.

4. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Do you have any good pictures of the wheels / calipers that you can post?

I found a guy out here in LA that paints the calipers. I was thinking of doing yellow and keeping the "Ferrari" text on them in either black or chrome.

Also was thinking of getting some Brembo cross-drilled rotors. I'm going more for the aesthetics on this than anything else...

5. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Well... if you want to just paint your Ferrari brake calipers red or yellow, you can do it at any Ferrari dealership. I had my 360 brake calipers painted red with Ferrari words in black. Cost of labor and everything ran me around $1000. Supposedly they had to sandblast, paint, and bake the calipers numerous times.

6. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    JDB
    Here is a rear 3/4 shot of my 575M.....Notice the giallo calipers and the shields.....I think it works well with the black exterior

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Kuzi: it looks mad hot. I might have to ask for yellow if I do a brake upgrade (thinking about MovIt kit).

--Dan

8. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Yellow calipers became an option in 2003. Any authorized dealer can repaint your existing calipers for about $1,000. That is what I was quoted at Ferrari of Long Island.

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Why not spend some more and get a big brake kit?

--Dan

10. bigmoose

bigmoose Karting

Oct 13, 2003
    London and Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    CT
    hi guys
    am looking for yellow calipers on a 360 myself (yellow black leather with shields)

have been told its not as simple as just repainting them(anyone have any experiences ..pls post)
    hear the paint starts to either peel or chip after a hard track day

the other german company ...i wonder if the do them for 360 s .....have sent them a mail , still waiting on a reply

and the black 575 ............man that looks awesome..........kuzi stand
    up and take a bow
    chetan

11. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Thanks Bigmoose.......I like it.

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    nope, it isn't as simple as painting them. a lot of the ricers paint their calipers with high temp paint, but it isn't consistent, nor does it cover anything else, just what they hit and not what they missed.

the next step up from that is pulling the calipers off yourself, removing everything off of them, taking them to a shop and have them sand blasted (I hear with plastic beads is the best option so it doesn't dimple as easily), prep and powder coat. the shop process should be a out 150-400, and then you'll have to put the calipers back together with new seals. so add in a cost of a caliper rebuild kit.

honestly, $1K might sound like a lot, but if that is the cost of pulling your car into the dealership and picking it up a week later, I'd do it. well worth the time, especially if you are going to get them baked so the paint is on there. most cheap powdercoatings will flake off after a hard track day though. you are basically sealing up the caliper and the heat will just build up and separate the paint from the caliper, resulting in flakes. good jobs shouldn't do this though.

13. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I've used the Movit big brake kits before, and found Guido exceptional to work with.

I'm not sure, but I think his US distributor is in NY/NJ, he was the owner of the Ultimate Garage.

This information is at least 5 years old, so your mileage may vary.

Ed

14. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert

That is correct. I had mine painted at Ferrari of LI for $1000. I think it came out to be like $1050 or something, but less than $1100.

15. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    That looks great! I found a place in LA to do the caliper painting for around $1200. Deciding whether or not to cross-drill my existing rotors or just get new rotors that asre already drilled...

16. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Bobafett,

If I get new rotors and spend $1200 to get my existing calipers painted, is the marginal cost of getting a new brake kit relatively low?

My current brake pad measurements are front 10/32" rear 10/32". Should I be getting new pads regardless of whether I get a whole new brake kit? If so, what pads do you recommend?

17. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    im going to paint my calipers red or yellow when the hre wheels arrive next month but i will use the kit from griots for about $100 and see how it looks/lasts before i allow dealer to take me for a grand. i will post pix and follow up then

18. ultgar

ultgar Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Steve D'Gerolamo
    #18 ultgar, Dec 4, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    out of Germany. Movit also has kits for most Ferrari's in any color you want. They can even do the factory "Ferrari" scripting. Unfortunately, with the Euro at an all time high, prices are up at this time but still cheaper than buying thru FNA.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. 20C4S

20C4S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2003
    jdb,
    please PM or email me at [email protected]

i might have something interesting for u.

20. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    The proper repainting of a brake caliper is much more then just a paint job. As mentioned above, it is sandblasted, baked, etc. I have a feeling the Ferrari dealers are not doing this work but are shipping it out to Race Technologies in CA. They are the authorized Brembo importer and offer repainting on calipers to anything of your choosing. You can have a prancing horse put on them as long as you supply the .jpg file for them to work with. But I am fairly certain you have to go through a commercial setup who has an account with them.

If you are going to spend over $1000 on a repaint, you might as well just get a big brake kit from Brembo. I am not positive on the cost for Fcars (every vehicle cost varies), but usually a four wheel set up will cost you around $6500 or so (at least that it what has been the average for my customers). Braking is improved dramatically and the rotors and calipers fill the open wheel space much more so then athe normal setup. Hope this helps.

21. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy

22. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Where do the 355 discs shown in the first picture of this thread come from ? Are they replacement for OEM without other mods ?