2000-2003 BMW M5? | FerrariChat

2000-2003 BMW M5?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by rob lay, Jul 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, my 1993 325is is getting long in the tooth and my next job may require more traveling and hauling people around.

What can you tell me about the 2000-2003 M5?

With the new M5 coming out, will this old M5 drop in price hard the coming years?

Any major problems to look out for, like I've heard about the 7 series?

Here's a review when it first came out in 2000...

BMW has finally done it. After constantly improving the current 5 Series platform until it was one of the best sport sedans on the planet, they've taken the segment to an entirely new level with the radical new M5. If you're already a fan of the 540i, prepare to be mesmerized by Bavaria's latest benchmark sedan.
    Starting with the 4.4-liter block from the 540i, BMW's M Division bumped displacement to 5.0 liters with a bore and stroke job. Compression is set at 11:1 (requiring the use of premium fuel, of course) and the cylinder heads are redesigned to offer greater crossflow cooling. Outfitted with the requisite double-VANOS variable valve-timing system, this engine is good for 400 horsepower and 395 ft-lbs. of torque. Even with the M5's 3,800-pound curb weight, zero-to-60 acceleration happens in a lightning-quick 5 seconds! But don't expect those times to happen with both hands on the wheel; the M5's only transmission is a six-speed manual.

BMW has yet to build a single-purpose production vehicle, and the M5 continues this tradition. Along with Corvette-like acceleration, the sedan features a lower ride height than you'll see on a standard 540i, aluminum suspension pieces, stiffer spring and shock rates, and 18-inch wheels with Z-rated tires. A sport mode switch on the center console will recalibrate the variable-assist power steering for increased road feel and snappier throttle response. When things get too snappy, traction control and electronic stability control are waiting to intervene (unless you've switched them off).

While paying 70 large for a performance toy might not sit well with the other half, don't forget to mention all the amenities that come standard on every M5 Sedan. Dual-zone climate control, heated leather seats with leather inserts and eight-way power adjustments, power headrests, a GPS navigation system, a 10-speaker sound system, one-touch power windows, rain-sensing wipers, etc., etc. Remember, you're not just buying a European hot rod, this car is meant for safe and secure family transportation...right?

You can customize the interior look of your M5 with a slew of no-cost options. Prefer the Nappa Heritage leather to the Nappa Point leather or the Bruyere Wood Trim to the Burl Wood Trim? Just check the option boxes that appeal to you. You can even delete the rear spoiler to further hide your M5's true intentions. Park Distance Control, a rear sunshade and a rear-seat pass-thru are the only extra-cost factory options, though a BMW CD changer is pre-wired and can be dealer installed for a nominal fee.

The M5 represents BMW's most capable performance car yet. It is an uncompromising sport sedan in terms of both ability and amenity. If your demands for horsepower, handling, hedonism and hip-room run to the extreme, the M5 has no peer.

Here are dealer retail prices I got off the internet...

2000 BMW M5 $48,212
    2001 BMW M5 $55,728
    2002 BMW M5 $62,797
    2003 BMW M5 $69,076

Do these prices look correct?

Thanks,
    rob

2. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Im not advertising as there is nothing in it for me, but if you want me to set you up with a GORGEOUS titanium/black 2002 M5, located in NJ, I could do it..I think hes only asking 55K, and I can attest to the fact that it is immaculate with 40K miles. Somebody needs to buy this car, it is sitting, just depreciating (or not any more?) anyhow, ask me about it.

3. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Rob, what's your next job?

WRT the M5, watch out for clutch wear...and replacement history. Also brakes.

IMO, they will drop somewhat when the next M5 is out...but not too far. Many folks find the new 5--including the M5 prototype--to be HIDEOUSLY ugly, inside & out, V10 be damned. And the SMG-only gimmicky 7 speed tranny (who the hell needs 7 speeds, anyway? This screams "wannabe F1 race car driver" all over it for poseurs) also will repel a lot of the enthusiasts. So, there may be a resurgence of appreciation for the M5.

Why not look for a 2003 540 Sport instead? Less money, and the same suspension & brakes.. Great car!

4. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Rob,
    When I was looking for a performance sedan, I had wanted to get a used M5. I have known a few people who owned them and they had similar comments as Dave. Clutch issues and brakes.

I though about a 540i sport, but I was able to pick up the E55 used for a better price and more performance.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, I like the 540 Sport as well.

Dave, hopefully I can announce my plans in the coming week. Nothing nailed down yet.

6. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Hey Rob, Those prices seem at bit high to me. They may in fact be what dealers are asking but I don't think real buyers are writing those kinds of checks. Obviously mileage and condition play a big part in selling price. There's a couple of '03's around with under 3K miles that can be purchased for low 60's.

7. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Rob:

I bought an '00 in Oct 99. Broke it in right, and ran wheels off it. 47k miles, used 1 qt every 5-6k miles...some out there use waaaay more than that. Never put brakes in it, despite tracking it. Never put clutch in it either. H&R front springs, camber plates from kmac, ECU software, K&N's and Pilot sports every 8-10k miles. Obviously ran hard. No problems at all. If you get one, get warranty if you can, as Vanos units will fail ($3-4K+) if oil not changed meticulously...I used the factory 10w-60 fill Castrol, changed q 5-6k miles.

You'll love it. '01's have 16x9 screen (I retroed mine). FSH a must. door seals fail in 5'ers here in TX...I'd get 'em swapped every 3rd oil change...they squeak. All warranty, well known issue. Late '02's and '03's have Bluetooth upgrade capability(10-02 prod??). Best drift car you could want, and you can scare 3 friends.

Get one. I put myself on the E60 M5 list when I picked this one up, and it is not going to be the same. It is not much slower than my Z8, and it is AWESOME on broken pavement @ warp nine, like out here in the hills of TX.

PM/EM me if you need more.

Lee

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    it a great car with good reliablity....i refer the m3 as it revs quicker and is lighter and more nimble...but it only has 2 doors... so if you need 4 doors, go withthe m5... the m3s look more sporty and seem to hold there value better...

9. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    I liked my M5 very much,I sold her to make garage space for my 512TR,I wish I still had her it was one of the best cars Ive ever owned.

I would look for a 02 or 3 with a few years still left on full warranty,I looked them up a month or so ago and they are still holding pretty strong at auction.

10. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Exactly what Lee said! Mine was a lemon, but I still love the car!

--Dan

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    With the way cars are produced today, I find it hard to believe one car could be a lemon. Seems like all would have similar problems. Unless maybe you bought a used one that had been thrashed?

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    One last question. I get bored commuting, so I go through little spells almsot daily where I start practicing driving lines or braking points and etc. The 325is is very good for this. I have adjustable shocks, M3 wheels w/very soft rubber, and it's only about a 3,200 lb car. I know the M5 has gobs of more power, but is it still somewhat tossable and fun in a race track sort of way?

13. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Yes, Rob, it is, bearing in mind it weighs more. The couple little mods on mine made huge difference...springs/camber plates are a must, but it has sharper turn in than I ever thought, considering recirc ball steering(no room for r&p in v8's). Torque is huge, so you really don't need to shift much. I used it as a daily driver, and covered 17 miles of twisties and hiway mixed, was faultless. M5 weighs, what, 36-3700#, but really feels smaller. I do same thing on commute, and it was hoot. Plus, with ASC off, you can drift like a pro. I used to follow my wife home in her M3/4 5-sp, and fill her mirrors sideways...always good for a laugh, until she reciprocated.

Lemons are a relative thing. I have seen other M5's eat clutches, brakes, Vanos, and oil, but I have seen many more that don't. Look at service records, and find friendly dealer who will pull service hx off BMW site 4 you. S62 motor is bulletproof, Vanos rarely breaks unless oil services not done. Both my S62 motors have spent 30-40% of their lives @ 6k rpms++, and they run fine. Rear end, trans are good, AC is amazing...mine was Anthracite/Black, would rarely need MAX mode of AC.

LMK if I can help...I usually can get service hx if you get VIN for me.

Lee

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Rob,

I was pretty active with the M5 scene for a while. My car must've been the one they built night before october fest. You name it, my car had it. VANOS, bad clutch (i was the first of the experimental "uprated" clutch for the m5), electronic issues, blah blah blah blah blah. In 20072 miles covered in 14 months, my car spent 62 days in the shop (excluding time waiting for parts). Not one issue was driver attributed.

But, I still love the cars to death. In my mind, outside of the Z8, this is the best car BMW ever built. E36 m3 is close runner up.

--Dan

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    How does the exhaust sound?

Any recomendations for aftermarket exhaust?

I LOVE the sound of the new 6 series!

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Tubi sounds like ass, Kelleners is LOUD. Dinan was raspy...

--Dan

17. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

The M5 is underwhelming IMHO compared to an E55.

I'd consider both.....but I'd also buy the E55.

18. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Perhaps to you, but I have driven both extensively, hard, and the E55 falls all over itself in corners, auto box does not respond coming off apexes, and it has horrible steering feel. Oh, yeah, the brakes are utterly idiotic in feel.

So, if you sit in traffic and never push, E55 is fine, but if you drive sedans like you drive Ferraris and racecars, get an M5 or CTS V. I cancelled my order for E55 after I drove the car I ordered. If you have to have a MB, get S600 and Renntech it.