Can we start a petition to draw and quarter Bob Varsha? | FerrariChat

Can we start a petition to draw and quarter Bob Varsha?

Discussion in 'F1' started by SRT Mike, Apr 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Or at least tar and feather him... or I'll compromise and dip him boiling oil.

The man is a loon.

How many times is he going to explain the fundamentals of F1 to us? How many times do I need to hear about the KERS icon on the screen, Bob?

How many times do you think I need to learn about F1 trivia like how they compare to CART or IRL cars, Bob?

How many times are you going to make stupid comments that are obviously not true, even to the casual observer? For example, when Lewis is trying to get around Kimi, and he goes wide in the corner, why would you exclaim "OH AND LEWIS HAS A PROBLEM!!!!' only to have Hobbs and Matchett say in a tone of obvious embarassment, "errr, I think he's just getting out of the spray, Bob"

He may be the nicest guy in the sports world, but he is a horrendously sucky commentator.

Bob Varsha's only saving grace is that he isn't Rick Da'Fool.

And Rick Da'Fool's only saving grace was that he wasn't Derek Daly.

They have the F1 tech guy - Matchett. He is awesome! They have the former F1 driver/historian/dry wit guy Hobbs, who is also awesome. The two of them gel together perfectly. And Bob Varsha is the ungainly elephant who sat down on the perfectly gelled team and squished it. Can't they get a recent former F1 driver in to commentate? Or at least someone who understands the sport and has a modicum of intelligence and doesn't constantly blurt out completely wrong things?

Or, failing that, can we just get him to shut up 98% more than he does so the guys who know their stuff can do the talking?

<flame suit on>

<hopefuly Bob is reading this. Bob, don't go away... but when you think of something to say, just remember... don't!>

2. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I've haven't seen Bobby commentate much this year as I usually watch the BBC feed but I didn't mind him that much. They seem to make a good team together, don't really care for Peter Windsor that much though.

3. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim

If you know so much about F1 why is no one paying you for your opinion? Maybe you missed your calling in life and you really belong on ESPN or SpeedTV, then you can have all of the SRT Mikes in the world try to cut you off at the knees. Give the guy a break, he really is a friend of the racer , worker and fan.

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Hate to say it but Bob is the "TV" guy. The one that doesnt know squat but is the glue that orchestrates the show. I think he is OK at that.
    And to his credit he does have more than just a passing knowledge of the sport. I think he is trying to add flavor and commentary to fill dead air.

What I dont like is when Hobbs interrupts him constantly. Hobbs; this aint your first Rodeo.

As a team I like the lot.

5. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I get paid more to be a businessman than being an F1 commentator.

And that doesn't mean Varsha doesn't suck, because he does. I don't care if he is the best friend of the racer, worker and fan (what is this guy, Mao Tse Dong?), he sucks as an F1 commentator.

He is constantly trying to explain things to a fan base that doesn't need his explanations.

He is constantly saying things that are wrong.

He is constantly being corrected by Matchett and Hobbs. Maybe he could go commentate go-kart races or something, then in 10 or 15 years, he would be polished enough to commentate F1.

Or he could just shut up 98% more than he does now, which would be a useful compromise.

6. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    You are absolutely right. Varsha is supposed to be the TV guy, but he should know his role and not try to be the knowledgeable F1 guy. It's a role he is ill suited for. He has an obvious agenda that, no matter how noble, is simply irritating to 99% of the fan base.

I wonder how many people are tuning into their first F1 race when they are watching? I'd wager something close to none. Especially at 3am. Why on earth is Varsa explaining for the 87th time what the KERS icon is for?

If it was only the incessant n00b explanations of the basics, it would be one thing... but when he tries to commentate and just gets so much wrong, then it's time for the tar and the feathers! :D

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Agree with Lightguy.

Fact: KERS is a technology only 3 races old (I, for one, don't notice the icon unless he points it out)
    Fact: Speed tries to make the broadcast watchable for a new fan (lets all be honest, F1 is HARD to explain to a passing fan.)
    Fact: There are plenty of feeds online where you can listen to broadcasters on itv, etc if you dont like them.

8. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I am lukewarm on Windsor. I think his grid walk is the dumbest segment ever. He asks tosses a few very slow softball questions to the backmarkers who will give him the time of day, and the rest is fluff. He does occasionally get a good sound byte from Flavio or Bernie or Ron but that's about it.

But he is pretty good in terms of his insight when things are going on at the track - like commenting on how the teams feel about this or that. Plus, he raised his value to me immesely when he decided to be a team owner. Assuming it does happen, I've come to think it's pretty cool that the peer of Flavio or Ron or Dieter or Frank is out there doing grid interviews.

9. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    #9 SRT Mike, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    So after the 6th or 7th explanation, you still didn't understand the KERS icon? Talk about ADD :D

I am not sure it is so much Speed trying to make it interesting to the new fan, as Varsha doing so. But why do it to the detriment of the long-standing fans (who I would posit make up the vast majority of a 3am TV viewing audience). Varshas main problem is not necessarily that he explains too much (even though he does), but rather that he is constantly blurting out things which are quite simply wrong. Every race he does it and must be corrected by the (significantly more knowledgeable) co-hosts.

Watching feeds online is not a solution because Matchett and Hobbs are great.. it is only Varsha who is a cretin.

10. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    &quot;Big D&quot;
    In the last race Varsha made the following two comments:

1. "So many fans love watching these guys race in the rain that we should set up sprinklers on the track to make it wet all the time!"

2. "A bonus for anyone who can tell us where Bahrain is."

I think they speak for themselves . . . .

11. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    lol Remember Murry Walker. That guy drove me crazy with his errors and jingoism.

12. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Whats the real reason you hate Varsha? Did he say something against Hamilton? I bet that is it. :D

13. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    OK; here is what chafes me about Speed's coverage;

When Windsor is making the ponderous walk down the grid the Camera dude is constantly trying to get a grid girl in the pic. The man is an artist. You can see him move the camera the get the perfect angle. Windsor senses this and responds by putting his fat head in the way.
    No; I could care less what pops into Flavio's mind.
    No; I dont have a need to know why Bernie has a stick up his....

I want to see the Camera dude practice his craft.

14. barndoor

barndoor Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    oregon
    Full Name:
    mr smith
    I couldn't agree more,Varsha is a moron.He gets paid to commentate F-1,but doesn't even follow the sport.The BBC coverage is second to none,but we are not allowed to watch that in the USA....

15. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If he did, he sucks...:D

Not had the pleasure of hearing Mr Varsha, by the sound of it he makes Murray Walker (whom I love) sound positively brillant.

16. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    And that is a real shame..your right with no bloody adverts.

17. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    I'd rather have Varsha than Windsor.

And David (LightGuy) is dead on about Windsor sticking his fat head in front of the grid girls. There were some real cute ones this past weekend (loved the red and white outfits) and we didn't get to see any of them. :(

Stupid Windsor.

18. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #18 kraftwerk, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    LOL....:D

It's Hammys fault..;)

19. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    YES PLEASE!!

20. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I think Varsha does a good job and actually like his presentation, the one I can't stand is Windsor. Even his columns in F1 Racing are lame.

21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1

Not a big fan of Varsha, but he is as good/bad as they all are.

I love Hobbs for some of his comments and once in a blue moon Matchett has something new to say. Rare though.

What irritates me more is the three trying to come up with a red herring in every race. Every race they pick on something that might or might not happen and is supposed to create artificial drama. Somebody should tell them, that silence is quite ok once in a while. I'm fine just watching cars go round for a few laps without commentators driveling.

Another thing that bothers me (and maybe it is because English is only my 2nd language): I can barely understand the pit radio answers by the drivers. I would greatly appreciate if the commentators would simply repeat what the driver said.

22. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    SrtMike - you have some serious anger issues. Seriously WTF? That's all you ever contribute here, constant arguing and *****ing
    Go have a pint of Guiness before you post. Varsha is very well respected in an industry full of ex-racers trying to stay involved in a sport that cast them off.
    Kevin

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I disagree. I highly appreciate Mike's comments. I consider them some of the best on this site. He knows what he is talking about and has good arguments. Almost all the time.

He doesn't like Varsha. So what.

24. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +10000000

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for your support.

You don't know Varsha, but he is not half the baffoon Walker was. And everybody loved that guy (which I never understood).