355 short ram intake installed!! | FerrariChat

355 short ram intake installed!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by UConn Husky, Apr 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #1 UConn Husky, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 355 air boxes are fed air from a tube which starts just above the side radiators. I have no idea what this tube is made out of, some type of rubberized / fabric material which is nice and bendable...but also compresses fairly easy. It you take a look (removing the fender liners) you'll see this tube snakes up over the radiators and is flattened out quite a bit...not great for naturally aspirated V8 breathing! Apparently this was done to keep all models the same on the production line (GTB / GTS / Spider) since the spider is lacking the C-pillar opening.

After talking with some of the pros on Fchat I decided to make my own short ram intake, as is used on the challenge cars as I understand it. I used a smooth silicone elbow for the airbox inlet and a wire reinforced silicone tube for the primary tube. In theory this just looks like a HUGE improvement, much straighter path and no reduction in diameter.

Unfortunately the stock tubes are screwed onto the body in front of the radiators, which means major work to get them out. I took the path of least resistance, leave them in place and out of the way. The passenger side I was able to move over, above the wheel well liner (in picture below). The driver side, not so lucky...too many wires. There I had to squeeze the factory tube down and snake the upgraded inlet over the top. Tough, but do-able. Hoses are held onto the C-pillar inlet vents by hose clamps.

Driving today first impression is the sound...the short path really conducts sound nicely! And we all know that the sound alone is good for 5-10 hp :D A nice side benefit is it solves the 355 idle stumble which can happen when the radiator fans kick on and interfere with air flow. Also this intake air will stay much cooler not being routed on top of the hot radiators.

I was able to wrap the passenger side in insulation. No such luck on the driver side, but it is well blocked from hot air by the in place OEM tube. And one more benefit! leaving the factory tube in place feeds a little extra cool air to the engine bay, pointed right at the air boxes. After a drive today the air boxes were cool to the touch.

The only potential downside I heard is the air flow may get disrupted with the windows down at high speed. When I get some time I'll do a yarn tuft study with windows down and up to get some idea of what's going on.

Happy driving!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    Hmmm I don't think my '95 is set up like that..:confused: I think it's like the challange cars? But what do I know..:)

3. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    sounds like you re-created the 348 intake path :D

4. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    Yep, that is the same set up as the 348, I am sure it will be an improvement.

One thing I am not sure that the 355 has is, just as duct opens up behind window on the 348 there is a fairly large drain hole in the bottom.

I got caught in a rain storm on the weekend and watching in the rear view mirror, there seems to be a heck of a lot of water that goes down there and sure would not like to hydraulic something???

5. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #5 UConn Husky, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
    Take a look, I really couldn't believe mine was routed like that either. Could it have been a 5.2 only change?

potxoli - you got it, us lowly 355 guys have to upgrade to the 348 intake! I saw that today on Saint Bastage's 348 SS at the CT meet...

gidge348 - good point, I thought of that but didn't do anything about it yet. There's a decent amount of room at the bottom of the 355 air boxes, it's hard to imagine enough water getting past the filters and into the engine to cause hydraulic lock. It's easy enough to drill a hole or two in the hose, but I hate to let in hot air too :D

6. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #6 saw1998, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    Great job Jay! I'm glad to see they are making the racing conduit in black now, instead of only in the horrible orange color.

7. carlissimo

carlissimo Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    It may be worth doing this just for the sound. Tell us more Jay...

8. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Another reasons why 95s are superior. :D

Anyway, great write up Uconn. An improvement for sure!

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Great job! ............ that is the way all 355 GTB/GTS air intakes should be routed ............. :) ....................... now to remove that old squashed hose and cap the old entrance ......... ;)

10. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    My 95 is too.

11. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Absolutely Carlo, the sound is fantastic!

355dreamer - valve guides cough cough!!! :D

Goth - it's a major PIA to get the radiators and stuff out...and there is some small benefit to leaving the tube, cools off the engine bay a bit

Next can't wait to see how it sounds without the resonator box on the intake...

12. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice work Jay!! :):)

13. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Now we have Jay and goth who have 348 envy. ;)

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    They are mad if they are not!! :D:D

15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Just started doing this mod on my car but I think I will just shorten and reconnect the stock hose.

The opening behind the window doesn't look very large but I suppose it can't be any worse than the very squished tube that was running over the radiator. :)

16. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #16 eulk328, Jan 22, 2010
    The size of the window scoop concerns me too. It looks to be only about half the size of those by the radiators. I'm sure on the 348 and early 355 the outlet pipe on this window scoop was round instead of a half moon shape. I think they must have squished the round pipe to make room for the new design with the long tube passing by from the radiators.

My plan (one day... if I ever get to it :) is to make kind of a Y-pipe out of plastic or aluminum. Then I will cut the original hose under the quarter window air inlet, shorten it slightly, and insert the pipe shown in the drawing. This will allow air from the original location and from the quarter window scoop without having to add another hose. Might allow for some extra air due to better ram effect, some cooler air and a little bit more induction "noise" for passenger and driver (very important for GTB owners :) Everything visible will still be original too.

17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #17 INTMD8, Jan 22, 2010
    eulk348, we think alike! I did something very similar to what you posted and then came inside to see your post. I cut the stock induction hose to the correct length of going over the window "half moon".

After sliding it on I noticed the hose was much bigger than that part and hung down below it so I squished the front half of the original tube to the same size as what was remaining below the "half moon". I then put 3 holes in it and zip tied them together. Basically the upper window has a straight shot into the induction tube but the lower tube is also still connected.

Pics are, drivers side of car was modified and connected. Passenger side pic shows how the ducting runs under the hole behind the window originally.

18. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Nice work guys, thanks for posting it up!

Here's the logic behind my design choices; the inlet is flat on the bottom...I was tempted to do some metalwork to open it up, but after seeing how FLAT that intake hose was over the radiator I was happy that it's breathing much more freely than before.

Good idea on using the original hose, I wanted to keep mine in tact to return to stock for the next owner if they want that. And the silicone hose I used is much smoother to help air flow a bit (and wrapped with insulation to keep more heat out, but at speed I think that's a small deal anyway with the air moving so fast)

19. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Good idea. Do you also notice some difference in sound (intake)?

20. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    It's great that you noticed this Ferrari compromise way back when (and did something about it!).

21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Not sure on a difference in noise, can't drive the car as the roads are all salty.

One other thing I noticed while working on the car is that it didn't get full opening of the throttle bodies when the gas pedal was floored (needed throttle cable adjustment).

Anyone have pics of that window opening area on a 2.7 car to compare if it's the same or bigger than the 5.2 cars?

22. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I was helping a friend with his race car today and got a chance to take a look at the air intake on an early 2.7 355. The air intake is not blocked (as on the late cars) and has a drain passage at the bottom. I think that if I am going to do this mod I will try to get hold of the original 2.7 air inlet to make sure the flow is correct. Or try to modify the one I have to make room for the drain passage and remove the "half moon".

2.7 part nr is 64458300 and 64458200
    5.2 part nr is 64989100 and 64988800

23. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    First off I hope that no one minds me jumping this old thread back to life.

I was also under the assumption that my 99 355 was getting it's air from the little scoop behind the window. The just the other day I was sticking my fingers in the hole (I'm always putting them in something) and realized it wasn't connected to anything.

Jay, are you still running with the mod?
    I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I've also read that the top of the stock airboxes for the 5.2 are in a bad need of reshaping. Might just be another project for me.

ruey220 likes this.
  24. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM

Hello has anyone did this mod? I have the intake ducts from the 95 and trying to install it on my 98 but the body shop can't figure out how to remove and replace without damaging anything

25. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Fwiw I had to return my 99 to stock configuration. With the intakes connected to the window corners the engine would surge under steady throttle in crosswind conditions. (I think air was flowing in one window and out the other messing up the single maf output).

That happening is what also made me think the stock 2.7 induction with separate air boxes likely work better than an aftermarket common air box.