A quick Leather Repair - Solution! | FerrariChat

A quick Leather Repair - Solution!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by richard_wallace, Jul 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Hey guys,

Been reading a few post as of late on some of the different products for fixing wear on our F-Cars seats.

I have a 355 Spider with a few of the usual Bolster wear points (Side and Top left Bolster wear). Mine were not that bad - about 2 inches on each area - worn most of the dye off...

I decided to try Leather Renew... for a couple of reasons. 1.) not that big of area 2.) by far the cheapest solution to try to see if I liked the results 3.) the could custom color match included in the price. The total for the kit was $55 including shipping.

It came with all the stuff - 8oz of the dye - enough to dye everyting in my car about 10 times over - not sure how long it lasts in the bottle - but probably good for a few more touchups.. Sandpaper, spray kit (if needed for a big job) - applicators of various sizes, leather fill, etc.

So I follow the instructions to the "T" - as per some of the other warnings of other F-chat members - on other products. Cleaned and preped the small area - applied the dye with the applicator on the area of the lower bolster (tried this area first to see how it went before doing the upper bolster as well)... When I put it on - the match looked very close but newer... I read the instructions - it said it would take 20 or so minutes for initial drying and color blend...

Came back out in 30 minutes - and low and behold - I have a perfect match... Buffed it, cleaned it, sanded it and reapplied the second coat as per instructions... And it looks perfect...

Not an advert for this product - just a view from someone who tried a very cost effective solution - with great results.

The whole job - mind you we are talking about a few small spots... Took me about 15 minutes total time (not including drying time of about 1 hour total)...

If you are thinking about using this - let me know and I will give you the dye match number - If you have the typical Tan interior that comes with Rossa exterior...

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Hallelujah!!!!!!

Where do you buy it; do they have a web site?

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Richard,

That's good news. I have the same type of wear areas on my seats though mine are black.

4. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    You can go to the following web site for the info...

http://www.leatherrenew.com/

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the process...

Rich

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    you didn't perchance take some before-and-after snaps?

doody.

6. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I didn't... But I can run out there and take an after...

I was thinking as I was preping for the work... I should take pictures of this... But it was pretty minor "surgery" - and easy so I didn't... I will take an after picture - so you can see - that you can't even tell they are not brand new...

7. Red360coupe

Red360coupe Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    I just purchased a 97 F355 GTB, Red/Tan...The bolster top and bottom are worn...

I'm going to try the dye...i'll take a before and after and hopefully i'll get the same results as you..

Wish me luck.....

8. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I have an '84 Mondial, red/tan. Anyone have any idea what color "tan" my car might be on that chart on the leatherrenew.com website? Sounds like a good product and easy to use. I'd like to try it.

Thanks,
    Steve W.

9. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    I went over to Rich's house Sunday to give it the in-person inspection, and I have to agree with his assessment - it looks like new. He kept suggesting that maybe the touch-up spot had a slightly higher gloss than the original, but I honestly could not see it. I thought it looked very good.

Unfortunately for me, my tan is a different shade than Rich's, and I don't see an obvious match on Leather Renew's website, so I guess my best approach will be to extract a small leather sample from the bottom of the seat and send it off for a color match. Another project for another weekend.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Here in Atlanta area I use a guy that works for a company called Dye Werks. He will come out to your office and repair and/or redye any leather problem for very little money and do a factory look and feel job. Most cities of any size will have a similar company. Just look in the yellow pages or call a high end dealer such as BMW, MB or Porsche and ask the used car department who they use for leather repair. The guy I use goes to such dealers every day and repairs the leather on used cars they buy at auction or take on trade before they resell them. I had my entire 330GTC reyed for less than $500 and it looked like new when finished. Well worth it to get a professional job that matches perfectly.

11. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I have had a number of PM's on the number of the Dye for the standard Red/Tan interior. The number dye match number is 3218 - and it is on the website. I had it matched to mine. You will think it looks to "orangeish" when you see it on the site - it is not - it is an exact match...

Any questions - just give me an e-mail or PM..

Thanks,
    Rich