fire extinguisher | FerrariChat

fire extinguisher

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by adesalos, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. adesalos

adesalos Karting

Mar 19, 2003
    Texas
    Search threads but couldn't find what I wanted. Thus, here is my question:
    I want to purchase a fire extinguisher (halon or halotron?) to place in my car (79 308). Any recommendations regarding the type, the size, and the vendor?
    I also want to attach it on the ground under the passager side, or behind the seat. Any recommendations regarding the location, and a bracket system to put it in?

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    A nice way to secure your Halon extinguisher on the passenger side is with the "Charness Harness." I've done it this way (Thank you, again, Michael).

See his website at:

http://www.tradetutor.com/raceprep/

Barry

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    There just isn't any room to mount it on the ground under the passenger side. The floor pan is level with the bottom of the rocker panel.

Ditto for behind the passenger seat, unless you only have short-legged passengers.
    The commonly used locations are in front of the passenger's seat, vertically between a GTB's seats, or under the A/C duct over the front of the console. A few have routed it alongside the consold on the passenger's side, but that really crowds the leg room.

Keep in mind that if you need it, most likely you'll want to grab it as you are bailing out to deal with an engine compartment fire. You won't have a lot of time to go digging it out from somewhere.

Something I've considered is a cable activated extinguisher with plumbing to spray the entire engine compartment. The cable would be cockpit accessable, with a possible 2nd cable under the rear bumper.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    See http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/6532/276396.html for a thread on the Charness Harness and some final pics. There's also a link in that thread to another discussion about what extinguisher to use.

5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    here is my set up.

6. adesalos

adesalos Karting

Mar 19, 2003
    Texas
    Tillman, the link to the conversation about which extinguisher to use is cut.
    Any recommendation as far as the size, brand, type of extinguisher to buy?

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift