Found on-line source for Sachs gas struts for Ferraris (engine lid, trunk, etc.) | FerrariChat

Found on-line source for Sachs gas struts for Ferraris (engine lid, trunk, etc.)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by f355spider, Jul 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Not sure if this has been posted previously, but www.rockauto.com lists the Sachs gas struts for at least the 328 (front trunk $32.99 and engine lid $14.44). Not a stock item, so they say to add two business days for them to get them. I'm certain they would not have the Ferrari horsey on them, but they seem like decent prices. Appears they even can get the glove box struts too for the 348, etc.

Also, they carry most all the oem Bosch FI parts as well. Some seem priced well, others not so well.

Regards,
    Dave

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    cool when i have time ill see what the part number is on my 308 and see if its the same as a 328, mine is on its last legs.

3. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Looks like a great price, I just chaged both engine lid struts because they wouldn't hold open when the engine was cold, typical failure mode I believe. I paid about $32 each from Ferrari UK and I thought that was a reasonable price !!

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I couldn't resist the struts at that price, just placed an order.

Have my original struts (now weak) stashed away hoping to figure a way to copy the artwork & make a silk screen someday.

My current struts are plenty powerful, but are about 3/4" short. Wouldn't think it would make much difference, but it does, can't reach the front bank plugs with them lifting the boot lid.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The struts arrived mid-day, & I just installed them.

Nice to have full length struts again! Spring rate is just right. Enough to pop the boot lid up an inch or so & balance when the boot latch is released. Then minimal force is needed to raise the boot full up.

Other than the Sachs logo instead of the F*logo they appear to be identical to the OEM ones.

Tnx for the post!

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Verell,
    Anytime my friend....:)

7. f360racer

f360racer Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    Renton, WA
    Full Name:
    PJ Z
    I was just about to ask the question when I searched first. Did anyone come up with stickers to replicate the factory ones yet? Thanks to you guys I'll be able to use both hands in the engine cmpt.

8. f360racer

f360racer Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    Renton, WA
    Full Name:
    PJ Z
    I went to the link posted by Davehanda and couldn't find the struts. I called and they couldn't help without an actual part number. Mine are aftermarket( no stickers ) and they have no numbers stamped on them.

Philip

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    308/328 Bonnet strut is SACHS #: SG237001

10. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I checked the site and the price is now $40.79??? I followed the Ferrari->1980->308->GTS->body/exterior->supports path and found it that way with that price.

11. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    I ordered one 348 glove box strut from Rockauto and they sent me two only charging me for one. Neither one worked or would hold the glove box up!

12. FNU_LNU

FNU_LNU Karting

May 22, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    AM
    Same here - the 348 glove box strut would not hold it up :(

13. LarryS

LarryS Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2003
    Fremont, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry S
    I ordered a pair about 4-5 months ago, 14.44ea, I noticed the price went way up right after that.

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Got mine at the $14 price. Guess they figured out what FNA wants for them(sigh).

15. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Just to let you guys know, I ordered the 308 rear-bonnet struts from RockAuto ~3 weeks ago and was quoted 4-6 weeks because they were on backorder.

You may want to call them and confirm approximate delivery dates.