Programming Alarm ECUs with New Fobs | FerrariChat

Programming Alarm ECUs with New Fobs

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tazandjan, Dec 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #1 tazandjan, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When my 2004 575M was delivered, it came with only one black remote alarm fob. Boardwalk Ferrari, from whom I purchased the car, through the kind efforts of Ms Jhanifor Griggs, agreed to provide me with a new set of three fobs, one red master, and two black slaves, along with a new PIN matched to the red master fob. With help from the forum's DrDave and hints from Brian Crall (Rifledriver), plus references from Ferrari copyright Alarm System and Workshop Manuals, I was able to reprogram my 575M Alarm ECU to accept the three new remote alarm fobs. I thought I would document the process I used to reprogram my Alarm ECU in case there were other owners who live far from a dealer or experienced shop and might need to perform this procedure themselves. Having done this only once, if any pros can add to or improve this set of procedures or find mistakes in my general comments, please chime in. Some, like Brian, have done this dozens of times, and may know some tricks I missed.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I think the write up is good.

Everyone who has a car equipped with that system should practice entering the pin and starting the car without the remote. They also should keep a copy of the pin with the car. Remotes do quit working, dropping one in a puddle of water will see to that and if you are out of town without a spare it becomes a real PIA.

3. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Thanks for the help on getting this right. When I got my car started on the first try with the PIN only as you suggested, I was dancing around the garage. Being able to start and use the car without an alarm fob really gives you a little peace of mind. Probably not justified, but every little victory counts.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Great info Terry!!!

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    285- Thanks. Hopefully not too many owners will have to do this themselves. I would have much preferred leaving my car with Brian or Dave and coming back the next day to find everything done and have one of them hand me three working fobs. Geography did not cooperate, however, so I had to do it. I will never be qualified to degree cams or do the other really tough jobs, thank goodness, so will leave that to the pros and talented amateurs like PAP and FBB, and I will pay someone to do the really hard work.

Taz
    Terry phillips

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 Thanks for taking the time to document the procedure.

I'd never even *thought* about the possibility - I'll definitely "practice" sometime soon.

Terry's write up also noted that Ferrari recommends the battery be replaced every 6 months (!) - Mine's an '02 and all of my fobs are still on their original batteries - Including the red master which lives in "semi-secure" storage at home. My question then becomes, does the red fob store all it's data in "non-volatile" storage such that the battery can be replaced without "drama" - I haven't even tried to use it in probably 3 years, so suspect it may be as dead as the proverbial doo-doo....... Given the obviously critical importance of this thing, I'm a little concerned!

Cheers,
    Ian

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #7 tazandjan, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
    Ian- The data is stored in non-volatile memory, so the battery going dead will not affect anything. Otherwise you would not be able to change the battery. Good idea to change them, though, so there is no chance of a leak. If you look at your fob, the battery is stored in the rounded bulge below the keychain half-loop and looks like a shortened AAA battery.

My single black key fob that came with the car would not even unlock the doors, the battery was so weak. It would disarm the immobilizer when pushed while hanging from the ignition. Changing the battery fixed her right up.

http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/page/bb/CTGY/A23

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    That's what I was hoping you'd say!...... My concern was that it's not been used for so long that it may have forgotten what it was. Good to know it should still be OK. I do think I'll replace all the battteries soon though.

Cheers,
    Ian

9. kmoran8@tx.rr.com

Oct 19, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Ken Moran
    Just purchased a 2000 360 Modena which came w/3 fobs, 2 keys. Problem was that the red fob and a black one d/n work. One fob did work. Car also came w/2 alarm PINs (from Ferrari in the little tear-open envelopes). Downloaded Taz's Word doc and followed the steps precisely. Determined which PIN started the car w/o the fob and then put her in learning mode as instructed. After the eleventh cycle of on/off with the key, the led started flashing exactly as instructed. Pressed the red fob until the flashing accelerated then followed with the new and existing black fobs. I now have 3 working fobs! Must admit that it took a couple of tries but for you out there having difficulties, try again and follow the instructions precisely. I found that it was advantageous to memorize the steps before starting. Many thanks!

10. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Go to FLife and THANK T&J.

He was a GREAT ASSET HERE ........................ :(

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Congratulations but that was very dangerous. You don't know for sure if the PIN matched the red fob or not so you could have put your system into an unrecoverable state. Have you tested the PIN again?

Glad it worked out

12. kmoran8@tx.rr.com

Oct 19, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Ken Moran
    Have not yet tested new PIN but now have a sinking feeling....have been relying on dealer's insistence that I had all the PINs necessary. Guess I'll find out soon enough...shame on me if I've been duped. Thanks all for the feedback.