BMC filters on 550 | FerrariChat

BMC filters on 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by stephens, Jun 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
  2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    that dip still looks weird to me. it's so pronounced. it looks like a tiny turbocharger kicks in :)

doody

3. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    There is an adjuster on the actuator which I will have a fiddle with next week. The third airchamber seems to be opening up about 1000rpm later than would be ideal.

4. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I've seen that kink in F355 and 360M dynographs. I think it is the delay at which the variable intake or exhaust change profile. It would have been good to see the RPM and see the duration. I compared my 360 with 355 and the kink is much shorter.

Going back to the HP result, what was the net gain between std/BMC filter at RW?

Thanks,
    MAtt

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    For some reason the links won't load. did you move the images?

--Dan

6. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    No, they're up. I re-printed the second one in imperial, will try and remember to scan and post it tonight.

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Thanks. They're up. I will have to see who the local BMC supplier is. Keep us posted as you continue!

--Dan

8. bjc138

bjc138 Karting

Sep 2, 2002
    DC
    Full Name:
    brian
    There seems to be 2 schools of thought on the air filter issue. One says go for it , the 'extra' dirt that it may bring is not a big deal with regular oil changes and correct filter cleaning. The other is not to bother given that Ferrari strive to get more power why would the factory choose not to use a simple air filter upgrade for the 20kw?

In the event of an engine problem involving oil quality (internal wear etc.) then Ferrari may not honour the warranty claim (my '01 550 still has the power warranty) if the car is fitted with non-OEM air filters. Speak to your dealer/mechanic for clarification and for your own peace of mind.

I will be following the 550 modifications thread(s) from Stephen and Phil and once the warranty is up on my car...

-- Brian

9. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Dan,

I got mine from Northstart motorsports website, they cost a bit below $190 for mine including shipping/tax.

Matt

10. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Matt - thanks for the tip. I will give them a ring. Less than the cost of engnie oil! (12.5 quarts in this thing!!!)

--Dan