Let's talk keys | FerrariChat

Let's talk keys

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by LetsJet, Jun 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I've been reading a lot of discussion regarding the keys of Ferraris. I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread since I couldn't find the answer searching.

I have two sets of keys with remotes for my '98 355 with alarm. One remote is the red and one remote is the black. I have read that the remotes are expensive to replace. Is that both of them or just the red one? Can you replace the battery in these and it will hold the codes? What is the difference between the red and black?

Anyone want to post informative key info?

2. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    the red key is supposed to be the universal key. dont lose that one. it can be used to reprogram other remotes i think just in case u lose the black ones.
    the black remotes are just regular valet keys.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Can I get some more info on this? My black remote died and there is no info in my manual. Does anyone know if / what battery to replace it with and will it need to be reprogramed? I've got a 355 F1 Spider .....

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Replacing the battery does not require recoding the remote. I don't recall what battery it requires but it is relatively standard, any drug store, camera shop or Radio Shack should have it. Just carefully open it up and take the battery with you. Take note of how battery was installed (which side was up) and reverse the procedure. It should work just fine if in fact the battery was dead (more than likely).

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Thanks

I opened it up

One screw, very easy

Located an Energizer No. A23 12.0 Volt Battery

Cross Ref: Duracell MN21