Cross-country tool kit? | FerrariChat

Cross-country tool kit?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Aug 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I tried to search for this but nothing came up...

I'm trying to get an idea of what a decent toolkit for driving my new 328 across country in two weeks (assuming it passes PPI) might consist of. The car has the oem "toolkit" but I don't know what that consists of. I have an e-copy of the owners manual but I didn't see anything in there about the toolkit so I don't know what's in and therefore, what should supplement it. I was thinking that a set of 3/8 drive metric sockets/ratchets, open/box metric wrenches, phillips and flat blade screwdrivers, vise grips, elec tape, WD 40. But I'd like the views of those here re this. If there is a thread on this somewhere, just point me to it. Thanks

2. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Remember, you don't have a whole lot of room in a 328 for storage. What you've listed is good, along with the usual general tools. Assuming that you've had a PPI and the belts are in good condition, the most likely candidate for a failure is going to be a radiator hose or a fuel line. Be sure to check all the hoses, especially the ones up front and down low on the radiator. Wouldn't hurt to carry some spare hoses and clamps, just in case something decides to let go. And if the coolant hasn't been changed in a while, consider having the system flushed, fresh fluid put in (50/50 mix) plus a bottle or two of Red Line Water Wetter.

Then go out and drive it like you stole it. Enjoy the new car!!

3. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    p.s. Consider taking along a lightweight aluminum racing jack (Harbor Freight has one on sale for $79 right now). The scissor jack in the tool kit is worthless, and if you break down and need to change a tire, you'll appreciate having a real jack in the car. Maybe a breaker bar and socket for the wheel bolts also.

Speaking of which, be sure to check the DOT code on the tires. If the tires are more than 7 or 8 years old, I would not want to be driving cross country on them, even if they look like they have good tread.

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I'd add: extra fuses, mechanics gloves, some rags, several quarts of 20W50, gal of 50-50 antifreeze, the phone numbers of ferrari parts suppliers, the phone numbers & addresses of any ferrari service shops along the way, your AAA Plus membership card, a cell phone & charger, a cheap car cover for those nights in not-so-nice motels, a small halon fire extinguisher, make sure the spare is inflated properly.

Oh, and a spring in your step and tune to whistle for when everything is going well.

5. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm looking at putting together the same kind of kit for some of my regional road trips. So far I have about what you have already listed as well as: About 12" of radiator hose and a razor blade to cut it to length. A length of heater hose. Several different sizes of hose clamps. A detailed printout of the electrical system showing what fuse or relay drives what accessories as well as spare fuses. A 6" piece of #12 wire with a spade connector crimped to both ends for jumping acorss relay swiches. Spare water pump belt. A very low profile hyd jack. And most important, A cell phone and a list of phone numbers to Fchatters on your route! lol Everytime I do something new to the car I think of throwing a spare part in my bag. Good luck. Joe

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I just had to post a response I got via email that I thought was (I hope) pretty humorous:

"Tools: credit card, multimeter, credit card, metric wrenches, credit card, 12v tire compressor, credit card, screwdrivers, credit card, spare belts for alternator, credit card, fuses, electrical bits and pieces like butt connectors, some spare wire, credit card, tire pressure gauge, credit card."

Not sure if he means I need 8 credit cards or he just wanted to be sure I had one with a high balance available. :)

7. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Relays or did the 328 use them?? A blown fuel pump relay or cooling fan one can leave you stranded. They're cheep and don't take up much space. A coil may come in handy too.

8. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Laughed my *ss off that one but that seems about right to me! Great post! "Now where is that new credit card application I just got in the mail?" :) Joe

9. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    And don't forget a cell phone, either.

10. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Roll back tow truck chase vehicle to follow you. Better yet, enclosed trailer so you can lock it up at night. Don't forget, good insurance and upgraded membership to AAA.

11. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I was just going to say AMEX CC (unlimited) and AAA card and last a Cell phone and charger.

PS you may want to keep a container of your favorite beverage handy.

12. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I asked my mechanic once about what I should take with me on a drive from San Diego to Monterey. His answer, without hesitation was: A tow truck.

13. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #13 D.Mauro, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    I would add to the already extensive lists above:
    Set of coveralls,
    Roll of towells and plastic bag for trash
    Pair of mechanics gloves,
    flashlight/LED worklight.
    Small first aid kit, (you WILL give blood).
    Flask of Single Malt, (in case things don't go well).

A few more things i would be looking for in the PPI:
    Sufficient brake pad thickness, coollant in good condition, Pressure check coolant system when car is hot, make sure coolant pipes are not almost rubbed through, like at the oil filter mount or by the pulleys, No SOFT?WEEPY Fuel hoses, no leaky cv boots, top up or change gear oil/engine oil, no significant leaks, (check when hot). no loose wheel bearings, make sure all lights are working properly. If tires have any unusual wear patterns, i would have the alignment checked and the suspension gone over for any loose bolts /tie rod ends/ bushings.

hth,
    chris

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks guys - lots of good suggestions. Wonder if it will all fit in the car along with my clothes bag and my cased violin!

I have driven back and forth across the country many times in my life, several times in highly modified and tempermental US muscle cars, and have never been a member of AAA or saw any reason to be one. Of course, I never did this in a Ferrari! Is it the towing thing that is the attraction for the membership?

The car has new tires (being installed now) and I'm told by the owner of the shop performing the work that the A/C is blowing "frigid" air after the A/C service - new orings, new drier, recharge. The belts/tensioners/bearings have all been replaced as of yesterday. Of course, the PPI (different shop) will be taking a close look at all of this and more. People who I trust who have visited the car in the shop and have driven in it say "the car is a 97.5 out of 100." I have been relying on others so far but, of course, when I actually see it/PPI it on Aug 18, that will be the deciding factor.

16. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    laptop so you can access F-chat for help/suggestions and order parts from Ricambi. Just kidding....sort of.

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    My camera backpack goes with me EVERYWHERE - It used to be full of camera gear but nowadays the camera "gear" consists only of a Nikon D80 with an 18-200 VR zoom. The rest is all electronics - including a Laptop, Ipod, cellphone and the associated connectors/chargers. So I'll be able go to a Starbucks and order Ferrari parts anywhere in the US with the laptop! Wonder if Ricambi will deliver to a Starbucks? :)

18. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The towing thing is more of an issue with the Ferrari vs American muscle cars. Just about any mechanic over 40 can work on a 69 Camaro but you're going to have a pretty decent tow to someone to work on the Ferrari. In a pinch I'd shoot for someone that works on Audi's or Porche since they used similar fuel injection and share a lot of parts. The tow slings are an excellent idea and I've been meaning to pick up a set to keep with me in my 328 just in case I need a tow. I don't want some redneck tow truck driver putting a metal hook around my suspension to strap onto a flatbed.

19. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Tires today are pretty bulletproof, flats are so rare most cars no longer have a spare. If the car had good rubber starting out, flats would be farthest thing from my mind as far as trouble. Thats what the AAA and credit card is good for, the "just in case". I also doubt there is very much your likely to be able to fix out on the road except an accessory belt or some minor electrical problem. Looking back over the years ive watched and read these forums, and from personal experience, only a couple things really stop these cars dead on a regular basis. The dinoplex system is the #1 trouble spot IMHO followed by the electrical system. The CIS fuel injection is almost bulletproof, as is the engine itself if its had any reasonable care, but do a search and see how many cars suddenly lost a bank of cylinders, set the cats on fire, backfired, blew flames out the muffler, etc.. Sometimes all those things in unison. Sometimes far worse.

If the electrical system is functioning well and in good physical condition you should be able to run quite a while without any trouble. But in long running situations electrical circuits can overheat fuses and relays and begin to burn contacts, where just running around on short trips you would never see a problem. Once the contacts begin to fail, they can overheat so bad as to do damage such as melting the fuse box itself or burning wiring. It wouldnt be a bad idea to clean all the fuse contacts and replace ALL the fuses just to be safe, and make use of some stabilant 22 as well as have a few spare relays along with. Make sure the ignition is in top shape by having all the plug wires and extenders carefully inspected, check the caps, look the coil leads over, new plugs, etc.. and hit the road. But I would definately know of sources to find readily available dinoplex components if needed. Having seen several 308s that have overheated the ignition switch contacts, that is another area I would check. There is considerable power going through there in the run position.

Sorting the car out before the trip will pay off in spades later down the road.

20. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    I suggest a reasonable quality digital multi meter.
    A good DMM will have a cover and can go in anywhere. Mine has a temp probe too.
    Has saved the drive for me on several occasions with older cars.

21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Mondial travel items in addition to regular stuff:
    TWO of each type of fuse, one of each type of relay, tool to remove fuses and relays, Radio Shack electrical contact cleaner spray, trickle charger

22. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I've found that the original tool kit with all tools is in the car, as is the light. The toolkit still has the original set of spare fuses, bulbs, belts and spark plugs. The oem spare tire/jack is there as well as is a towing eye. So now I just have to pare down the other stuff so I won't need to tow a trailer to accommodate it all. As I said, I still have clothes, a violin, and a backpack! The trip might have gotten longer...I may need to head down to San Antonio and then up to MD...

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    If you're in San Antonio - let us know!

24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I'll do it - my parents live in Terrell Hills and I/we are down there a couple times a year - though not normally by car. They are getting up in years, my dad just quit golfing last year at age 90 (had a hole in one at 89!), and they want me to come down and go over some financial stuff. This might be a good opportunity to do it and it doesn't really add that much mileage to the trip, a total of 2950 as opposed to 2560. So maybe...

25. Spyker 007

Spyker 007 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    #25 Spyker 007, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
    Tools to bring along: NONE!!!!

I just did 3000+ miles in two weeks. Amsterdam - Italy - Monaco - Spain - Amsterdam in my 328GTS.
    Highway trips at a constant 5000rpm/110MPH.
    Day one: 950miles in one go.
    Last day: 950 miles in one go.
    A lot of high rev italian country roads in between. :)

Make sure she is 100%. Replace the parts you doubt before you go, leave all your tools at home.

You only need to bring a huge smile on your face. :D

Enjoy!!

Jeffrey