Checking oil on 360 | FerrariChat

Checking oil on 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Fmax, Jul 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    In the manual it says check the engine oil whilst the car is idling. So I checked with and without idling. There are 2 holes in the bottom of the dip stick and a bit higher. I guess it is meant to be in the middle?

With the engine idling it goes beyond the first hole but it is a bit frothy. With the engine off it does not even register on the first hole. Can someone clarify if having oil froth a little way between the two holes is OK?

2. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Hi Max. Yes you do check the oil with the engine running and it should be between the two markings (holes). A few bubbles really is not a problem as the air mixes with the oil. Excessive, i.e. more froth than oil, is a little more questionable. If this is the case, change the oil and monitor the levels of froth. My independent used Agip 5W/40 at the last service and no bubbles are apparent.

3. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    Thanks Del. Say Hi to rodders for me next time you see him ;) BTW I have ditched the dealer and going for an independent as everyone *****es about the one and only here in Prague.

4. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    what does froth mean?

5. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Foamy/mixed with air/like soap suds..........

6. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max

Haha, was that sarcastic? I meant in terms of a possible calamity regarding my engine.

7. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    That could mean coolant getting into the engine oil.... leaking head gasket for one.

8. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    #8 Derek Trotter, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No it wasn't scarcastic! ;)

Coolant getting into the oil normally is creamy, mayonnaise type texture. For Max, this is what mayonnaise looks like:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    Go for the light version myself ;) So let me get this right, I should add the mayonnaise to my engine right?

10. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Sure adding mayo is fine! Can't you see the above mayo jar mentions oil!

11. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    I would like to thank you Del for your in-depth knowledge on these technical matters. You have saved me a fortune as before I was buying expensive synthetic oil, little did I realise a trip to the lcoal supermarket could have saved me a packet.

12. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Accurately checking the level of Shell oil is impossible, since it foams and the oil bubbles rise higher on the dip stick than the actual oil level. It's like checking the coffee level in a cup of foamy cappuccino. People resort to various types of witchcraft to check the oil level but none of them is reliable. I switched to Mobile oil and the foaming problem disappeared. Now checking the oil is easy.

13. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    #13 Fmax, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
    One more oil question. I see service intervals for oil are at 10,000kms and 30,00kms but the stealer said get it done every 10,000km. 20,000km does seem a long time between oil changes. What you guys do for people who actually drive their cars ;)?

BTW check this out. He checks with the engine idling and screws the cap all the way down on the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwMu7BHZg5Q

14. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Max,

It is recommended to change the oil at least once a year or every 4k-5k miles, coming from FOW and Competizione. I change mine more frequently, but I also track my car. Under normal conditions I would change it once a year.

Robert

15. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    Just to play devils advocate why would the manual suggest much larger intervals?

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You aren't supposed to screw the cap on. It is supposed to be sitting on top of the reservoir when you check the oil. If you are near full it probably doesn't make too much difference though.

Extensive testing has been done on synthetic oils. 10k miles is very reasonable for most synthetics since they really don't break down as quickly. Of course that assumes that you drive the car that much, otherwise you are on the 1 per year program.

17. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

I don't know, but they aren't factoring in cars that are never driven sitting around collecting condensation in oil lines, brake lines, ect... I sure am not going to skimp, these are performance engines, the break down from the heat is another consideration.
    Many cars sit for months over the winter collecting moisture in every line and on and on.

Robert