my '89 testarossa is ill | FerrariChat

my '89 testarossa is ill

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by walkaway, Jun 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. walkaway

walkaway Rookie

Nov 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    walkaway
    hi folks, i've recently just got my testa back on the road following a long time absence due to the exploding diff syndrome. A complete service was carried out at the same time and the car was running fine. It hadn't travelled far since and I sent it to get a few light paintwork issues sorted. Now... its not well.

From cold it struggles to start. It kind of tries to fire up but cuts out as soon as it does. I've removed plugs, checked for spark and cleaned and there's plenty of fuel coming to the filters. Also getting a steady "drip" of fuel at the injector pipes. There was new pipes, injectors and seals also fitted (k-jet). Have cleaned inside the distributor. After loads of attempts at trying to start it eventually got running but very badly. Left bank appears to be worse than right. When trying to rev the car it makes it worse and will sometimes make the engine cut out by doing so. Also will get backfiring noise at the inlet.

Am starting to think this could be a timing issue but before i start ripping bits off it... i'm hoping someone could pass up a few other less major suggestions.

thanx.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
    You said "k-jet" in your post (implying that you have an F113A euro engine), but can you confirm your TR engine family number -- F113A, F113A040, F113B, something else? (it's marked on top of the engine block at cylinder #6).

3. walkaway

walkaway Rookie

Nov 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    walkaway
    hey, its definately the bosch k-jet system with the two fuel metering heads. i am in the UK and it is a right hand drive spec so am assuming it is euro spec. The car is still sitting at the body shop and haven't got round to bringing her home yet. probably not get time to look at it again until this tuesday so can't confirm the exact engine number as you're requesting just yet.

4. walkaway

walkaway Rookie

Nov 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    walkaway
  5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Since your TR is a 1989, I thought that it might be the later euro F113B (KE-Jet without Lambda) where a simple electrical problem could be causing your symptom. Your F113A is a K-Jet without Lambda that really doesn't have any electrics at all associated with the injection system (other than for running the fuel pumps). To start troubleshooting an F113A, you (or your mechanic) really need to measure the control & supply pressures both cold and warm as the first step -- good luck getting her running well again.

6. walkaway

walkaway Rookie

Nov 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    walkaway
    hmm... when i disconnected the pipes to the filters and switched the ignition on i got a good amount of fuel pumped out. i think i compression test is called for.

7. walkaway

walkaway Rookie

Nov 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    walkaway
    I was out with it today and its actually an F113B 069. When i rang the body shop to get the code previously he said he would get it and came back telling me it was an A... obviously didn't bother his arse. I'm getting good fuel pressure at the inlet pipe to the fuel metering heads but getting nothing coming out at the delivery unions. From feeling alone i think the plungers on the air intake flaps are working ok, though the left one feels a bit less restrictive than the right. I don't suspect them to be the main fault though as i don't believe they would both fail at the same time. Would you have any information on the wiring to the metering heads or would you be able to elaborate any on the electrical fault you were thinking of? Also would you be able to tell me how the metering heads adjust fuel quantity in relation to temperature?

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #8 Steve Magnusson, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The "electrical fault" that is most common on the KE-Jet (if your symptom is "was running well, then a step change to bad running where you have to "goose"/open the throttle to keep it going, and difficult cold starting") is losing the +12V power to run the injection ECUs (which in turn run the EHAs -- i.e., if no +12V power then EHA current = 0 mA = lean and no enrichment at cold starting). The F document that describes the electrical tests for the F113B is Diagnosis Sheet N. 5, and these two (from the similar Diagnosis Sheet N. 6) would be the initial ones that I'd check (if your symptom is as previously described) -- good hunting!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. walkaway

walkaway Rookie

Nov 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    walkaway
    sorted, open circuit on the brown coolant temp sensor. car up and running again. thanx

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #10 Steve Magnusson, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
    Glad it's working for you, but have to say that I'm unsure how the brown thermo-time switch could have been related to your warm runability problem (unless getting in and rooting around healed a bad connection). The 2-ch coolant temp sensor is the black one in front of the brown one, but, as long as it's running well, I wouldn't complain ;)