Complete interior rebuild. | FerrariChat

Complete interior rebuild.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RussianM3_dude, Jun 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Hey guy, whats your opinion on complete interior rebuilds on "classic ferraris"?
    Case in point, I saw a rosso 348tb on sale at local dealership, it was pretty low mile and outside looked perfect. The creme interior left a lot to be desired, cracked and discoloured in places. The carpeting was shaggy and used. The plastics were dusty.
    Would it be possible/make financial sence to give it a new interior? I mean change everything. Nothing fancy like ostrich skin bucket seats and 2 TVs, just something that will make it look BRAND NEW. Maybe some better seats from the 360 or something. Would the resale value go up or down? What about the truly classic Ferraris, like 512BB or Daytona?
    How much will it cost for the 348?
    Usually this is the only thing that turns me off second hand ferraris, are interiors that look used after 2000 miles.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    it'll cost you a fortune in parts, time, and hassle. unless you're getting the car for a steal, or unless you're a parts dealer or auot-leather guy, i can't begin to imagine that it'd be worth it.

doody.

3. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Still, any idea on the cost?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  5. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    We had the interior on a 1978 Lotus Esprit S1 completely redone over the winter.
    All leather interior (except the dash, done in vinyl), which had previously been cloth. The dash pod had to be taken out. Seats with more padding. Excellent job, all done by hand by a true professional, costing about 10K. including materials. (which is almost what the car is worth!)
    WHY? a dream car, will keep it forever. Certainly not done to "original" specs, but who cares??

6. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Nikolai,
    Where is this 348 tb for sale?

7. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Have you got any before/after pix? I have just purchased a 348 spider that has a fantastic recent respray but the interior could use some love. I'd be interested in seeing what 10 G's will do for an interior.

Cheers
    Kevin

8. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Well, it was on sale in Montreal a few months back, the price was good too, around 70K if I remember and pretty low mileage.
    10K is pretty reasonable, I mean you spend so much time inside the car. A special car should feel special on the inside too.
    I wonder about the resale value though. I mean Enzo said that "I sell you the engine and throw everything else for free" it should not pose a problem. But a lot of people are absolutely anal about those small details.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It depends on the car...(btw, a 348 would not be considered a "classic"..) but figure on a 348, a quick guess would be a $4 to $5k to replace the interior with factory oem new peices..... It might be able to be done for slightly less, as you don't usually need to replace door panels, they can be redyed, but seats usually need to be replaced if wear and cracking is extensive, as redye will typically flake or crack at the stress points.

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    while you're replacing things would be the time to upgrade to CF consoles and panels too.

11. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    #11 spike308, Jun 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are a few pics of the Lotus interior in progress. I guess I never took any digital pics of the old interior. Man, was it bad!
    Ever seen a couch that someone thought they could resurface without any experience??? By the way, the dash was original, something Lotus called "mouse hair", which was more like brown velvet. Ah, the 70's!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    i debated redoing the interior of the 308. In the end the cost was, frankly, ridiculous. Besides, race seats are MORE comfortable and more functional.

Total cost was well under $2k.

13. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    #13 spike308, Jun 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finished job.
    As I hope you can see, this guy did an AMAZING job!
    He exceeded my expectations.
    10K included many hours by another shop to remove the seats, remove the entire dash board and re-install it, paint a black strip on the bottom of the windshield to cover up the glue lines (impossible to remove unless taking off windshield) and some other exterior odds and ends.
    Actually, now that I think about it, it was about 8K for the materials and labor for the interior work, about 2K for the miscellaneous stuff.

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yup, factory new oem seat skins for a 308/328 can easily run 1k or more each.

15. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Hmm, nice job on the Lotus. But do you guys think that it absolutely has to be OEM ot for example you can "put" a 360 interior into a 348?

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You might be able to put in 360 seats, but that would be all. Not recommended, most buyers are turned off by big modifications. If this is your first purchase, and you want to be able to sell it later with your skin intact, then keep it pretty much stock, and buy "resale red". Plus, 360 seats have got to cost WAY more than purchasing new skins for the stock 348 seats.

This is why it is best to buy the best condition car you can find. It pays in the long run, than buying a more "tired" example and fixing it up.

The other side of this, is that it is your car, and you can do whatever you want....but the more you make it "yours", the less appeal it will likely have for a future buyer. But, maybe you plan to keep it for a long time?

17. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I will be doing at least some if not all of the interior on my 308. Just for materials the best I've come up with so far is around 4K. That's for new seat covers, carpet, door panel covers, and console cover. That would still leave the dash, rear deck, pillars and the targa top lining. I'm going to get some quotes from local shops also to see if they can do better. Should be fun!!

18. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    $4k is about right. i did the same thing for months and came up to about the same thing. Add $$$$ for labor and it is a very expensive proposition. Of course there are less expensive, better solutions :)

19. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I re-dyed the entire interior of my 348ts (except the black dash) for $1100.
    The bolsters/edge of the seats were worn - you can't even tell now.

I shipped everything to Aldens Auto Trim in Louisiana and it looks brand new! Turn-around time was under a week. The color is factory correct also.

20. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Exactly right, but I want to keep it as close to stock as possible. I will probably be doing some of the easier stuff (like the seat covers and door panels) myself. I may even try the dash myself. I'm actually looking forward to it as I don't yet trust myself to do any major mechanical jobs, but I really want to work on the car myself.

21. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    I think putting different interiors (360, 355 or race seats) may affect the value a bit. I also feel that it would affect the resale of the car..
    You may enjoy the look, the the next buyer may not..
    But remember, it's your car to do with as you please..
    Do not discard those original seats. Put them back in when it comes time to sell and sell the other seats on E-bay....