400i/412 K-Jetronic Fuel line kit interest? | FerrariChat

400i/412 K-Jetronic Fuel line kit interest?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Verell, May 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Are any of you K-Jetronic injected car owners interested in kits similar to these:

Unobtainium Supplies: K-Jetronic (CIS) Plastic Fuel Line/Hose Restoration Kit
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=186689

If you're interested, please reply & identify your model.

BTW, I don't have plastic fuel line sizes for these cars, or one in the area, so would need someone to eMAIL me the measurements.

2. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Link doesn't work

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hey Verell the lines on our cars are quite different.
    We don't have the plastic/rubber lines, our are all steel.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Thanks Dave,
    It's been 4 years since I've seen a 400i engine compartment & I'd forgotten.
    Just didn't want to overlook someone who might need fuel line.
    Appreciatively,
    Verell

6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Dave
    I'm in Europe but back to my 400 by Sat. I could swear my lines are plastic. I planned to do this replacement this past winter but drew a dead end when I got no replies with hoses. I will check this weekend and let you know.
    Ken

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #7 dstacy, May 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well if thats true then this will be very interesting. Travel safe, when you get home let us know.

Here is a picture of a 400i with all steel lines:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #8 Verell, May 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I see a couple of plastic lines (see yellow arrows).

Are the lines from the distributor to the injectors steel end to end? The 3x8, Boxer, & TRs injector lines have plastic line sections in the middle so they can flex during installation/removal w/o bending.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well crap Verell! I don't know, I THOUGHT I knew, but maybe not.
    I'll check tonight.

10. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Dave they are plastic to steel, and I have had to replace the balence line between warmup regulaters, a real tough job, heating the plastic in water, kinking it, aghhh. I have been reading about this tool and hose the 308 guys are using that Verell has and it looks really nice. I would very much be interasted in a better way to put those lines togeather than what I have been doing.

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well I'll be...Verell I was indeed wrong about this.
    I just looked at mine and it appears that we 400i owners hae the same kind of deal. It is steel out of the dist. and steel out of the injectors, but a short piece of black plastic in between.
    You'd think as many times as I've looked at these cars I would have known that. Whoops!
    At least I'm man enough to admit my mistake.

Looks like you've found another market Verell. How much is it?

12. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Dave
    I made it home safely. You saved me a quick trip to the garage; since I was tried to buy hoses, I knew they had to be plastic.

I'll be ordering hoses and a tool for next winter's R&R.
    Ken

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #13 Verell, May 30, 2008
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
    I need to know the OD & length & number of lines of that length before I can make up & cost out a kit.

Would one of you be able to supply me with the lengths? The length doesn't have to be super precise, just to the nearest 10mm/0.5" & the number of lines that are that length. The kit will consist of a single length of each size of line + at least enough extra line to make the longest single line of that size. That way if you miss-cut a line while learning, you can recover.

In some cases, the a particular size may come in 2 lengths, this is because Cohline sends me some of the sizes in fixed lengths that aren't always a near multiple of the kit size. An example is the 3x8/Mondial kit where the 6mm line comes in in 5 meter lengths, & the kit contains roughly 4 meters. So I cut the 5m lengths into 3m, 2m, & 1 m lengths. The final kits ship with either 2 x 4m lengths or a 3m + 1m length(pita to keep track of!).

The CIS barb insertion tool handles inserting the steel line barbs & banjo fitting barbs into 5mm OD & 6mm OD lines. A std tubing flaring tool works quite well for holding the 8mm line while tapping a banjo barb into it. I'm hoping to keep the tool price at the current $95.00.

14. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Hi Verell

I could bring my 400 up to your place for you to measure up. I'm in Sudbury.

Aidan

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #15 Verell, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
    Aidan,
    It's always great to meet another Ferraristi.

Come on up this weekend, the weather's going to be good for a drive both Saturday & Sunday!
    Cindy's out for the weekend, so I'm very flexable time wise, whenever fits your schedule.

I'd love to see your 400i & measure it's fuel lines!! (Is that the automotive equivalent of looking at etchings???)

First 400 series I saw was 7 or 8 years ago in a small town in the Burgundy region of France. Unfortunately, couldn't stop to look at it at the time. It was a rich metallic copper color that looked great on it! I've always wished I could have taken a better look at it.

Give me a call tomorrow(Friday) & we'll figure out what works for both of us. I'm in the Groton,MA phone book.

16. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    I have recently replaced the plastic fuel lines of my 400i. Except those of the injector lines from the distributor to the injectors. These have an original ID of 2 mm and an OD of 6 mm which firstly I could not find in the market and secondly I found no way to expand a 2 mm ID line to go on the metal pipe.
    In fact, I tried a "double layer" solution with a 4/2 mm line inside a 6/4 mm line to come close to the original (after cutting one apart just to check the original dimension). Eventually I ended up with leaving 11 injection lines as they are and reparing the cut one with a 5/3 mm plastic line. I concluded that the originals are in a condition to survive at least for the coming 10 years without risk of failure.

The dismantling of the old plastic hoses is very simple by heating them with a hot air blower.

Peter

17. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Verell

I had no recollection of my offer to go to your place with my 400 until I read your reply - I must have been inebriated! Anyhow, I'll call you later and hopefully I can go up to Groton tomorrow morning.

Aidan

18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    THANK GOD! I'm not the only one on here that happens to :D

19. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I drink to forget!

Aidan

20. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Aidan,
    Looking fwd to your call & meting you.
    BTW, I just attribute my memory lapses to Early Alzheimers attacks. ;)

We ran into the 6x2 line availibility issue when trying to find replacement lines for 308s.

Awhile back I had learned that the Porsche 911 guys had been using 5 x 3 from McMaster-Carr. However, when I went back this time it turned out that 5x3 had been causing them lean running problems. As the 5x3 line's softer walls was causing the injectors to improperly atomize.

See: 308 F.I. plastic lines to injectors - Weak design?
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13095

As posted to the thread, I contacted CohlineUSA, the US Cohline distributor. They confirmed that 6/2 was no longer available. After some research they came back with Cohline's recommended alternative: a 6mm OD x 3.15mm ID line that had never been imported into the US. It's the closest available to the OEM 6mm OD x 2mm ID line, & materials improvements over the years have given it similar characteristics to the 6 x 2 line. They are custom importing it for me to make up CIS kits.

The barb insertion problem is solved. Based on tips from Cohline, Larry Fletcher (), & others I've designed a barb insertion tool. It makes inserting the barb into 5m & 6mm lines easy. I've verified that the tool works with 5x3, 6x3.15 & some used 6x2 line. It inserts both banjo & straight line barb fittings.

See this thread for info about the CIS Barb Insertion tool:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186689

21. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    There's a sign in one of our local bars: "If you drink to forget, please pay your tab in advance!"

22. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    I've heard of problems with non-correct dimensions of injector lines before. However it is hard to believe that changing from 6/2 mm to 5/3 mm should affect the amount of injected fuel. We are talking of a constant (low) pressure variable flow system with absence of pulsations. If there are cases with negative effect, it must be based on resonance phenomena. These would then be dependent on various parameters like oscillation frequency of the nozzle, elasticity of the injection line and volume of the injection line. These parameters are different from one car model to the other. In my 400i with cyl. No. 12 line replaced by 5/3 mm, there is no noticeable difference. The "face" of the spark plug isn't any different from those of the other "correct" cylinders. The engine runs smooth as ever before. My recommendation would therefore be not to touch the injection lines (the one I had cut was not at all brittle after 25 years nor did it show any surface defects) since they are designed for much higher pressure load. Changing to new 5/3 mm does not give me a better feeling in terms of system reliability/safety. But definitely replace the 8/6 mm lines which are exposed to the highest system pressure (feed line) at lowest spare pressure capacity as well as all the other 6/4 and 5/3 mm lines which are easily available and relatively simple to replace (follow instructions by Verell).

Peter

23. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #23 Verell, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
    aidenparte,
    Thanks for coming over. It was great to meet you, also to inspect & ride in your very nice 400i! Gotta get me one someday.

Thanks for helping measure it's fuel line lengths. I've now got enough info to calculate the lengths for a 400i fuel line kit.

I must quibble about both low pressure & absence of pulsations:
    The injector nozzle creates flow pulsations as it vibrates, and the inlet to the line is restricted by a very narrow slot in the distributor.

I guess what is meant by 'low' pressure is subjective. The BOSCH injectors open at 3.5bar(50 psi) & typically operate at close to 4 bar(58 psi), this is typical for injectors, but high relative to carb system pressures, but low compared to brake line pressures.

I agree about it being a resonance phenomenon, the P* forum described 5x3 line related problems as 'damping the nozel oscillations' due to line wall elasticity.

IMHO, given the same injectors, the longer the plastic line's length and/or it's larger % of total length, the more likely wall elasticity & ID will be to have significant effects.

The 400i injector line plastic sections are 15 & 15.5 mm long, which is about 1/2 the 308/328/Mondial injector line plastic section lengths. I suspect the explanation for the 1 5x3 injector line working ok is that the shorter plastic lengths in 400i injector lines make them less sensitive to differences in the plastic section's wall elasticity than the 308 lines.

I'm still going to include enough 6mm line in the 400i kits for those who want to replace the injector sections, or just want to put it on the shelf as 'cheap insurance' against a damaged line. It only adds a few $ to the kit price.

24. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Verell

It was great to meet you and to see your various projects! It was a pleasure taking you for a spin in the 400.

Aidan

25. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #25 Verell, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
    I just got asked to supply V12 kits. I thought I'd already announced the 512, 400i & 412 kits, but can't find the post so here they are:

512 K-Jetronic (CIS) Fuel Line Restoration Kit $83.17+ $11.90 S&I within the US & APOs. Ask for international shipping quote.
    Sufficient Correct 5mm, 6mm, & 8mm polyamide line to restore the injection system.

400i & 412 K-Jetronic (CIS) Fuel Line Restoration Kit: $77.98+ $11.90 S&I within the US & APOs.
    Sufficient Correct 5mm, 6mm, & 8mm polyamide line to restore the injection system.

I can also supply the various barb fittings, for a partial fitting list & pricing, see post #123 in this thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186689

If you don't see a fitting that you need, please eMAIL me, most likely I can source it in a week or two, but some I may have to special order from Germany which takes 6 to 10 weeks as they come in monthly containers shipped by sea.

To order, please click on my name by this post & select: [Send eMAIL to Verell]
    (Please make sure your profile has your current eMAIL address.)

SORRY, I CAN'T SUPPLY COMPLETE LINES or RESTORATION SERVICE:
    I've also had requests for complete new V12 fuel line kits, and also to provide a fuel line restoration service. I'm sorry, but the amount of work involved in measuring, documenting & creating fixtures to recreate the various metal line lengths and their bends is more than I can sign up for.

Also, I just can't afford the necessary liability insurance. I've come across this 'show stopper' phrase on several web sites selling fuel line components:

[Quote:]
    ... By law the assembly producer will be liable for any injuries or damages...
    [/quote]

My thanks to Aiden & Rizzo who for the help in getting the lengths for these cars.