328 Tach Reads Low Sometimes | FerrariChat

328 Tach Reads Low Sometimes

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by italia16, Jun 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italia16

italia16 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2004
    The tachometer on my 328 indicates lower RPM than the engine sounds and the speed indicated on the speedometer in the appropriate gear. For example, at 40 MPH in 3rd gear, it reads about 2000 RPM instead of about 3000. It indicates normal RPM after about 5 minutes of driving but then reads low again at other times during a drive and then returns to normal.

Does anyone have ideas on what to check (fuses, etc) ?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Sometimes erratic gauages are a symptom of a bad electrical ground on the gauge itself.

3. cvanmete

cvanmete Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    McAllen, Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have the exact same problem on my 89 328 but, mine always reads low. The highest it will register is about 4000 rpm when its at 7000. I sent the tach off and had it checked, it came back good. I've also changed my digiplex unit, cleaned the tack sensor, and switched it with the TDC sensor (same sensor), none of this had any effect. I think i've checked the ground, but I can check again. PLEASE LET ME KN0W IF YOU FIND THE ANSWER.

4. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Mine did the exact same thing. It's a common defect. Sent the tach to Palo Alto Speedometer and they fixed it for $159.00 with a 1 day turnaround. They have a website but I don't have the link. Sorry.

5. italia16

italia16 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2004
    Thanks, I found the website at http://www.paspeedo.com

Is the tach easy to take out?

6. wimeldo

wimeldo Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    My car does exactly the same, a technician guaranteed to me that everything is well.

Take out the rev counter is very easy.
    Removes the 4 lamps with care, and inside you see 4 screws, but I recommend to you that before you make a simple test: disassembles the battery and recharge, it reviews the front electrical ground connector, and the tips of connection of the battery, verifies that it is clean and strong.
    Whenever I do this, my rev counter returns to work well.

Attached photo copied of http://parts.ferrari.co.uk

I request excuses by my badly writing English.

Greetings

Alfredo.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This is a very common problem with the 3.2 motor cars. I'm 99 percent sure you need your tach repaired. Follow the removal instructions provided by others, and you should be good to go. I also sent mine to Palo Alto Speedometer. Around $150 and four day turn around...

Dave

8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

You might want to get a second opinion, and have another shop test your tach. Only because this is such a common problem on the 3.2 cars...

9. wimeldo

wimeldo Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Alfredo

Another thing: the mechanism of 328 tach is just as the one that takes the Alfa Romeo 75, such component.

Alfredo

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

11. Skindiver

Skindiver Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    JHB SA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Good point here; do check and clean all the connections, and ensure the grounds are good. I have heard others say (these were 308's I think) that they were able to fix their tachs by cleaning or adding a new ground wire. I checked and cleaned mine, and even tried adding an additional ground, but it was no help. Having it repaired was the only proper fix for me.[/QUOTE]

Are we referring to the battery earth or the earth wire on the tach itself ?

Skin

12. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi.

We have NOS tachos in stock, #125947, retail $322.76. Orders placed thru the Ferrari Owners' Site, www.owners.ferrari.com will receive 50% discount on this unit (not shipping & duty of course) if ordered on the website between now and Monday morning !

Any good ?

13. italia16

italia16 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2004
    Thanks for the information. I cleaned the battery terminals and grounding wire. It made a big difference by reducing the low tach readings significantly. Now, when I waiting for it to warm up, it reads the proper RPM. I only noticed one time that it read low but the needle popped backup in a few seconds. I will watch it and may pull the tach out and clean the grounding wire from that if it continues.

14. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    i have had this same problem since i got my '87 328 gts
    9/2003. tach reads less than or approx = to 1/2 the engine
    speed. sometimes. a few times it has shown 6-7000rpm,
    but mostly 1/2 that amount. WHY? these cars are almost 20 years
    old. does no one know why? there must be a known fix. please share.

bob

15. chuckhojr

chuckhojr Rookie

Apr 3, 2004
    fort myers fl
    Full Name:
    chuck
    Jeff, I just ordered 125947 from ferrari uk, it did not show the discounted price. Will it be billed at the discounted price? Also on the web site it showed a revcounter head part, do I need this to replace the tach?
    Thanks, Chuck

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Bob,
    You must have missed my previous post in this thread. It is a VERY common problem, and easily repaired at Palo Alto Speedometer http://www.paspeedo.com/

They tell me that there is a component on the circuit board that fails. They will replace it, test and warranty for one year for around $150 plus shipping. Mine was fixed a little over one year ago. Continues to work fine.

That or get the brand new one from Ferrari UK. Either way, this will correct the problem. I tried cleaning grounds, and putting contact enhancer on all the connections, and this improved things, but never fixed it. Having the tach repaired, fixed it for good.

Regards,
    Dave

17. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi Chuck.

We will discount the order when we recieve it our end, no worries.

The only part you need is #125947.

Regards.

18. chuckhojr

chuckhojr Rookie

Apr 3, 2004
    fort myers fl
    Full Name:
    chuck
    Thanks Jeff, I ordered that part and a oil rad from the owners site on sat night. I suppose I will get confirmation and delivery info on Monday, is this correct?
    Thanks again
    Chuck

19. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Chuck, the next thing you'll hear will be a total and a request to charge your card.

Best regards.

JH

20. wimeldo

wimeldo Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Jeff,

your great supply has convinced to me,

I also I have ordered one.

Regards.

Alfredo

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I hope that you guys that have ordered new tachs from the fine folks at Ferrari UK will report back on whether this fixes your problem. I am confidently betting that all will be well shortly!

Regards,
    Dave

22. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Count me in, too, on the Tach! I hope 11:48am Monday Morning US Mountain Time still counts as "Monday Morning!"

--Mike

23. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Ordered mine from Ferrari UK this morning as well. I'm hoping that I made the Monday morning cut. It was definitely still morning here.

24. chuckhojr

chuckhojr Rookie

Apr 3, 2004
    fort myers fl
    Full Name:
    chuck
    I was wondering if anyone had received confirmation from ferrari UK yet? I have never ordered from them before and I am not sure of the normal wait time on confirmation emails or delivery dates. Thanks, Chuck

25. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Got my email confirmation from Jeff Howe yesterday. The shipping is always surprisingly rapid as well.