Robs Birthday/Ferrari Museum/Lunch | FerrariChat

Robs Birthday/Ferrari Museum/Lunch

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by robertgarven, May 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    My Birthday is June 29th, but I am going for a drive to Santa Barbara for lunch on the 27th. All of my Ferrari buddies up here are going to be out of town and I wondered if any of you guys who know me (or not) wanted to meet at my house around 12:00 and veiw my small Ferrari Shrine in Ventura and drive to a nice restaurant. This is not part of the FDC scedule of events but I know several FDC guys have been to my house before. There is probably room for about 5-6 cars only, and will probably go to the San Ysidro Ranch, for they have great brunch. This is where John Kennedy took Jackie for there honeymoon. Brunch would be $40 person plus tip plus, I always slip the valet guys $10 so I can park my car!!! I would like only Ferrari's as it is my birthday and things at work have been very stressful, it would be a nice gift to have some f-cars at my house and some good food & friends!!!

I would need to know soon if anyone is interested as I will need to make reservations. FWIW, I was born on the same day Dino Ferrari died. I was born the 29th, 1956 and he passed on the 30th, but if you consider the time difference it will help explain my obsession which started at age 10 and has gotten worse over the past 38 years. I kept waiting for Robert Stack to call for Unsolved Mysteries, but he never did. Enzo did write me personally 3 times and I hugged my half brother once (Piero), so maybe they are on to me :)

2. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I guess I am more unpopular than I thought! I can't believe no one wants to see my new dino sign?

3. JRocks

JRocks Karting

Sep 17, 2003
    California
    Hey Robert, Happy Birthday! Sorry, I'm pretty far south (Orange County) and have plans, but have a great Birthday!

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Well at least you know :D I would like to show up but the drive would be a bit much. Where do you get stuff like the Dino sign? Ebay?

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Sorry Rob, I will be in NY that week. Should be back after July 4th...

Dom

6. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Thanks guys! I still hope some will be able to come. Mark, I got that sign on ebay but have several others, I have been collecting for a while. Hey I was born in SA, 103 adrian drive. Maybe you can go there for my B-day and take a photo, I would be interested in seeing my parents old house, my mom is 81 and it would crack her up, my grandparents lived ib the house next door, some real good memories! :)

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

That's a nice collection of stuff. Hopefully you can round up some peeps to attend. Have a great b'day!

8. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I'd love to come, but I'll be diving that weekend...

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Thanks Guys, The offer is still open if any are interested. I am still hoping a couple of Ferrari can make it. The lunch place is world famous been there since the 20's. JFK took Jackie there on their honeymoon, the story is that he had a another paramour in one of the other cabins. The brunch is fantastic. My shrine I have been collecting Ferrari stuff since I was 11. I have several bits of busted ferrari race cars, and several cards and photos from Enzo on display along with my lighted sign collection. My work has been very depressing, and I was hoping that a bevy of Ferrari's would lift my spirits.

10. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
    Hey Rob,

Happy Birthday.

Sorry but that is the day of the Calabassas to Malibu run of the FOC. I have already paid and will be attending that event that day.

I hope you have fun.

Ron

11. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Will I celebrate my birthday alone????

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

If you come down to Crystal Cove we'll buy you a Starbucks muffin with a candle and let you blow it out. How's that?

13. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Thanks Surf City, but somehow I think I would rather go where John F. Kennedy took Jackie for their honeymoon.....This is a 5 star eatery and a very special and romantic location. Michael Douglas and Katherine Zeta Jones lives next door. I just thought some of you might want to take a drive up and see some of the rare memorabilia I have been collecting for 30 years and have a nice lunch and help me celebrate my birthday. here are some pictures of our last brunch there...

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Happy B-day Rob! Boy that food looks awfully good with a lot calories to Boot!
    Shoot down to CC and I will put the candle on the Muffin that Scott buys you!

15. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I can't believe it 450 hits and not one ferrari guy wants to take a drive up the coast and look at my collection of rare memorabilia and have a great brunch! My wife bet me know one would show, come on some one, prove her wrong. There is some really great shopping in Montecito for the ladies afterwards.....

If anyone decides to come I will let them hold something Enzo Ferrari touched!

16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Take Brigette...

17. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George

You have a really nice collection. Believe me if you lived in my neighbourhood, i would just visit your place i would live in it...lol. :)

18. J_Baller

J_Baller Rookie

May 15, 2004
    Camarillo, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Even if we went, why on earth would we want to hold your peni$ when you have all that great Ferrari stuff to look at!? LOL ;)

19. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Happy Birthday. My son is leaving that day for 2 months. Sorry but have a good time on the drive.

20. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Thanks again for all the well wishes. I need to make reservations by tommorow,
    so far its just me and my wife and dino. So if anyone else decides to go let me know. The weather is getting nicer everyday and the food is some of the best to be found, not to mention "the shrine". I know everyone is busy that day so my feeling aren't hurt as much as you would think. I still would like to see a couple more ferrari in my drive way.......... we could all practice our new west coast ferrai chat gang signs :)

21. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Rob

I thought I'd posted about this but maybe it didn't go or I got sidetracked or something, but the San Ysidro Ranch website has an announcement that their restaurants are closed due to a kitchen remodel. http://www.sanysidroranch.com/dining.html

We drove up to Santa Barbara last weekend by way of Fillmore, Moorpark, Ojai etc (the back way of course) and swung by San Ysidro Ranch to check it out and there was a sign up that the restaurants were closed.

The feed sounds good - not sure if my better half will be up for it or not, but you might want to double check with your venue as it mightn't be available.

El Encanto might be a second choice??? Love those spicy pecans they give you at the bar there.

Cheers
    Kevin

22. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    kevin,

you are right! I had several friends there and just called and there was a fire in the kitchen and they are closed until next year!! However there are many great resturaunrts up there, CAVA, Piata, El Encanto etc. if you decide you want to go we are still on. My evaporating dream was to have a bunch of Ferrari's come to my house to celebrate my stupid b-day. If you come up I would be honored to go have lunch with you, there are several cool shops in montecitom which might intice your better half!

23. bartcd

bartcd Rookie

Jun 4, 2004
    Nashville & Malibu
    Full Name:
    Bart Durham
    Robert -

I'm on the Calabassas - Malibu drive Sunday but would like to do that the following week or whenever. 615-260-5738 or 310-456-8199 (ans machine at home)

Thanks.

-- Bart
    360 Spider red/tan
    Tennessee tags but the car is in Malibu

24. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Wow,
    After seeing those cool pics of the calabasas run, I guess I picked the wrong day for my bday! No one showed up, (except for my wife, she wanted to go to calabasas but i made her come with me :)but the weather was cool and sunny with little traffic. We ate at Cava where FDC has gone before. A 575 and 360 Spyder drove by and I got to race the amphibious vehicle. Next to cars, food is a real drive for me, here is a shot of a mojito (roses) and chiliquiles. I am still hoping some day some of you will stop by. There is an open invitation if I am around.

25. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Sorry none of us "dead beats" could show up. I know if you were closer it would have been a different story. Anyway, it looks like you had a good time with your biggest fan. Have a great b'day and we'll see if we can't do it some other time :)