PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ALL THAT DON'T OWN A FERRARI! | FerrariChat

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ALL THAT DON'T OWN A FERRARI!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RAMMER, May 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    #1 RAMMER, May 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    YOU NEED A FERRARI 308 IN YOUR LIFE.....

I know some of you are on the fence about buying your first Ferrari and I am telling you that you wont regret it. I just went for a drive this evening. Its my ritual....I go down to the local Barnes and Noble to get my car magazines. The weather here in Miami was perfect. It was not a spirited drive but rather a relaxed one. I had the IPOD on and I listened to Neil Diamond, Pearl Jam, Green Day and Sinatra. I bought the new issue of Octane with the Ferrari Daytona on the cover. On the way out a young man had the guts to ask me for a ride around the parking lot and ofcourse I took him for a spin (beyond the parking lot). He said "I have never been in a Ferrari: you made my day". Prior to getting home I pulled into an empty Publix parking lot and got off to admire the old car. You can't beat a 308 GTB for sheer beauty. It might arguably be the best looking car ever. It was a beautiful night that centered around a very special car.

I am far from being rich and you dont need to be rich to own a 308. Its a reliable second car for special outings like tonight. All you need is about $30k + $350 for a pre purchase inspection and you can have a car that you will be proud to own. Stop wasting time and take the plunge....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lotto likes this.
  2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hopefully not in that order. ;)

But I agree with the rest of the post.

3. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

Did it not occur to you that he may have been saving the best for last??

4. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Cool post! I understand (guess we all do) what you are talking about .... I enjoy washing my cars during the day & going for a nice ride, stopping by shop for some coffee, checking out the car from different angles, etc. Its what we all love.

5. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    That is a cool picture too.
    Don't forget to buy a bunch of 308 Hot Wheels cars to keep in your car to pass out to the little kids with the people who grove on your car.

6. ForzaMaranello

ForzaMaranello Karting

Jul 15, 2006
    Louisville CO.
    Full Name:
    Robert T
    I could not agree more! I sold my 308 GTS/i almost a year ago and bought my 360. I love my 360!!! But not one day goes by that I don't think of the 308. (I owned the 308 for 16 years).....

7. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Great post. I couldn't agree more.

8. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    #8 Hans, May 2, 2008
    Rammer,

You are sooooo right!

I haven't been able to drive mine for a whole week now and I have serious withdrawal symptoms. Controlling that roar behind your back by simply curling your big toe, sprinting from corner to corner, working hard to go fast and getting rewarded for it in sound, smell and information about every grain of sand on the road, is just too good!

Life is all about priorities and choices. For all that are on the fence or kicking tires: make owning one of these silly cars a priority. You won't regret it!

Hans
    (totally addicted)

9. Kevinwi

Kevinwi Karting

Nov 21, 2006
    I was so glad to read your original post for this thread, Rammer. It seems kinda weird that I too enjoy taking photos of, and looking at, my 308. But I view my car as a rolling piece of artwork. What a cool feeling to be able to drive my "Mona Lisa" and watch others enjoy it as well.

It was great that you gave the guy a ride. On the Ferrari Club of America site is an FAQ on how Ferrari owners should act. And being willing to share the experience with others is one of the points. It's interesting to hear how such a ride or interaction can affect someone over the years. I've talked to a number of owners that said their enthusiasm began with such an experience when they were younger.

I also like the idea of keeping matchbox cars for kids. Anyone know where to buy them?

Thanks, Rammer, for this thread.

Kevinwi

Lotto likes this.
  10. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    My neighborhood is whiter than a John davidson family picnic so i hadn't got any response from blacks 'till yesterday.

A big Escalade pulls up honking the horn and about three brothers get out sayin' how nice my car was then said we will leave you to your whip now and thanks for letting us look.

Heard in the distance as i pull into publix "whoa a FERRARI!" from the guy collecting stray shopping carts.

Got the duece chucked at me from a guy in an EVO a few minutes later.

People love these cars and it feels good to hear their praise.

11. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Kevin,
    Just Google Matchbox or Hotwheels 308 and you'll find many for sale on ebay and other collector sites. Run from 2 buck to 8 usually.
    Once saw a batch for 99 cents ea but was too late on those.

12. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Great post. Should be send to the automotive editor for your local newspaper. These earlier cars are affordable, and everyone who ever said he wanted one, could have one, if he knew. Don't talk about what it costs to keep it running though.

Art

13. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #13 350HPMondial, May 2, 2008
  14. 89vr

89vr Rookie

Apr 30, 2007
    Midlothian TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Marotti
    Priceless. Every time I stop for gas somebody always walks up to the car, half the time they think its a lambo. Always show them around, pop the engine lid, let them take cell phone pics. I even let the UPS driver sit in it and start it up. Havn't given anyone a ride yet, nobody's asked. I remember my first drive, its was when I bought it from Chris K. in philly, drove it back to Vermont on back roads nonstop, put about 1000 miles on it that first day. then 3000 miles the first month of ownership, and as usual its now leaking oil everywhere, but hey thats life w/ a ferrari.

I'll still get the ferrari ear to ear grin, everytime I look at it, gets bigger once im behind the wheel.

15. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    SHHHH!!!! -- you're driving the prices up for those of us who already know this ;)

16. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    After reading your post, I had to go for a ride. Have to get that Ferrari fix.

17. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Gawkers are always hovering around --- sometimes it's pleasant, sometimes not --- depends on the situation.

It is, however, pretty special to own a car that is capable of bringing true joy to some kids, though. :) Case in point:

Years ago I participated in a charity fundraiser for the "Make a Wish Foundation". Some of the organizers belonged to various car clubs, so one of the events they put together involved asking participants / owners of various sports cars (there were Ferraris, Porsches, Jags, Corvettes, etc.) to give some of the terminally ill kids rides in their cars. I was fortunate enough to have the privilege of taking a wonderful young lad for about a 45-minute cruise in my 308. I've never seen anyone smile and laugh so much in my life! And, as much I have enjoyed my cars, that may well have been the most rewarding time I've ever spent in one!

18. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    +1.

19. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    HANS ---

I must confess, I've never much cared for the 308GT4 body style... But, your photo is starting to change my mind! The stance and proportions of the car in that perspective look tremendous. You should send that photo into Forza Magazine for their archives and when they run their next article on that model. :) :)

20. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    #20 RAMMER, May 2, 2008
    Thank you for the kind words. I know its sappy but I needed to share my feelings about the 308 and the impact it has had on my life. I was very candid......its not easy to admit that I listen to Neil Diamond at age 35. I also wanted to motivate folks who are on the fence about buying a 308 as I was a few years ago. You really dont need a six figure income to run a 308....only a passion. I am trying to instill that passion in my 3 year old son who already loves Ferrari. Talk about something special to share with my boy....

Lotto likes this.
  21. Ferrari328GT

Ferrari328GT Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I love to point out to drooling people that my car is worth less than a new Chevy Suburban. That drives them crazy...

Lotto likes this.
  22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #22 308 GTB, May 2, 2008
    "The best is yet to come...."

23. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I especially can relate to the comments about sheer beauty. Just last night I was doing a couple of things outside. The garage door was open and I was walking toward the garage, not looking at any one thing in particular but knowing I was headed to the workbench. For some reason my eyes fell on the sail panels as I was walking toward the rear of the car. My eyes moved down to the top of the rear fender; and soon they were fixed on the tail lights and that beautiful arch above them. It was, as you say, sheer beauty.

After having owned my '77 for 22 years, moments like this still happen. There are few cars that can be enjoyed this way. Thanks Rammer, for the best post I've seen in a long while.

24. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I agree.....Hans has a sweet GT4!

25. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    #25 rfking, May 3, 2008