Skip Barber at VIR | FerrariChat

Skip Barber at VIR

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Dopplemax, May 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Hey everybody! I completed my three day Skip Barber Race School yesterday down at Virginia International Raceway. The three days were intense, non-stop classroom and track exercises. The track and facility were first class, as was the instruction. We had four instructors and three mechanics for a class of 16 participants. The lead instructor is a Nextel Busch Series driver that only does their road course events, while the other three were career sports class racers. This was a race preparation course intended to get you to understand and apply how to maximize everything that the car, the driver and the course can give. I highly recommend it to anyone interseted in racing, understanding racing from a spectators position or that wants to get the most out their own cars.

Here are a few pics.

Dmax

2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    that second picture is the stuff that dreams are made of; winding, empty track cutting through the green hills. I've heard that VIR is beautiful, but that is nuts. Looks like an awesome time. On my "must do" list.

can anyone compare/contrast the Skip Barber/VIR weekend w/ the Bill Scott/Summit Point weekend?

3. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Great pics. I'd encourage you to try the Skip Barber race series; I ran at VIR in the series race a month or so ago, lots of fun, easy arrive and drive approach.

Bryan - what Summit weekend are you referring to?

Cheers, Will

4. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Thanks for the suggestion Will. I'm doing the advanced 2 day next at Lime Rock, and will then look into race weekends. All in all the race weekends sound like a good way to go before buying a car of your own. Did anyone exceed their $3900.00 damage waiver when you were there, or was everyone well behaved?

5. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    the last time I checked into racing school a few years ago, I think BSR at Summit offered several levels of driving school - from a half-day defensive driving course to a full weekend race school w/ track time, skid pad time, etc.

6. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Hey Bryan,

I dont know anything about the other course you're talking about, but Skip Barber has the following courses at Summit this year.

Advanced Racing School - November 8-9, $2495.00
    Computer Lapping - November 10,11,12,13, $550.00
    Lapping - November 10, 11, $925.00
    Race Weekend - November 12 (practice), 13-14, $2395.00 / $925.00-practice

The 3 Day Racing School is at VIR the following dates:
    June 4-6
    July 23-25

The 3 Day Racing School is also at Jefferson Circuit in WV:
    July 2-4
    November 5-7.

7. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    looks like you had a blast. I can't wait to do a DE at VIR now that I saw those pics!!!

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    huh; well I just looked up Bill Scott Racing - http://www.bsr-inc.com/ - and it looks like they don't offer the racing courses anymore. They offer defensive driving, police driving, and security driving training at Summit.

9. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hey Matt!

Isn't it more effect if you actually sit in the car to race rather than run along side? :)

10. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Jim, being a caring Ferrari owner i wanted to give everyone else a chance to catch up!

11. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim

That's mighty neighbourly of you!! :) I did 2 day of Skip Barber vehicle control about.. well lets just say a while back! It was a blast! Was this event a annual thing or are they there all through the season?

12. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Look at my answer to BryanP above for their dates at VIR. They have classes much more frequently at Lime Rock and Laguna Seca.

13. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    wow that looks amazing
    Looks like you had a good time

antony

14. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

It was fantastic! I'm going to read your new ride post now.