INSTALLED TESTPIPES A HOW TO WITH PICS | FerrariChat

INSTALLED TESTPIPES A HOW TO WITH PICS

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Buttuz4eva, May 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    #1 Buttuz4eva, May 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    O.K last night a friend and I installed the tubi test pipes. All I can say is holy shhhit it almost feels like there was a leash holding the car back and now that leash is removed and the car response is amazing. The throttle response is better the horsepower is better the car breathes better getting the rpm’s up are smoother and the sound WOW the sound of a 360 with a tubi and test pipes is F1 like for real I don’t know what it sounds like from outside yet but going through a tunnel in 3rd gear sounds like a formula 1 car. IN the past I have heard people say that onCe they took off there stock muffler and replaced it with a tubi it sounds like a F1 car in my opinion that statement is untrue. I found the tubi to be weak until these test pipes were installed along with the exhaust.

So here is a little wright up on the install if any of you want to install them yourself. Also if any of you are from N.Y. and need a Ferrari or Lamborghini personal mechanic I have the guy for you he charges half of what the dealer charges and he is super fast this install took about two hours.

#1 FIRST PUT YOUR CAR ON A LIFT AND REMOVE THE TWO BACK TIRES

#2 THEN REMOVE THE SREWS HOLDING THE GUARD THAT KEEPS DIRT,ROCKS,SAND ECT..IN BACK OF THE WHEEL WELL BY DOING THIS YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PUT THE BACK END OF THE CAR OFF.

#3 REMOVE BOLTS THAT HOLDS YOUR EXHAUST INTO THE BACK OF YOUR CAR.

#4 THEN REMOVE SCREWS AND BOLTS FROM UNDER YOUR CAR TRY THIS WILL ALLOW YOU TO REMOVE THE BACK END OF THE CARS BODY AS WELL.

#5 REMOVE BOLTS OLDING YOUR TAIL PIPES TO THE MUFFLER FOUR BOLTS TO EACH SIDE.

#6 REMOVE BRACKETTHAT HOLDS YOUR EXHAUST IN PLACE.

#7 REMOVE CLAMPS HOLDING YOUR TAIL PIPES TO YOUR MUFFLER. THEN YOU CAN REMOVE THE EXHAUST SYSTEM.

#8 REMOVE THE NUTS FROM YOUR 02 SENSORS ONE INFRONT OF CAT AND ONE IN BACK OF CATS.

#9 YOU WILL THEN NEED TO REMOVE THE NUTS THAT HOLD YOUR 02 SENSOR TO THE AIR FILTER BASE JUST SO YOU HAVE SLACK IN THE 02 WIRE.

#10 NOW YOU ARE READY TO INSTALL THE TEST PIPES THE TEST PIPES HAVE A EXTRA HOLE FOR THE 02 SENSOR BUT YOU DO NOT NEED THIS WHOLE SO YOU WILL HAVE TO PLUG IT UP. SO ATTACH THE 02 SENSORS TO THE PIPES AND PLUG UP THE EXSISTING WHOLE WITH A PLUG OF SOME SORT. DO NOT TIGHTEN UP THE TEST PIPES FULLY YET IN THE BACK BECAUSE YOU WILL NEED TO PLAY AROUND WITH GETTING THE EXHAUST IN THE RIGHT POSITION.

#11 PUT BACK THE MUFFLER BUT BE CAREFULL BECAUSE THE DIAMETER OF THE PIPES AND THE EXHUAST ARE THE SAME SO WE HAD TO REMOVE THE MUFFLER AND BANG THE EXHAUST OPENINGS WIDER WITH A BALLPIN HAMMER. AFTER YOU ACHIEVE THAT SLIP THE EXHAUST INTO THE TEST PIPES THIS IS NOT SO EASY YOU WILL HAVE TO PUT A PIECE OF WOOD BETWEEN THE EXHAUST AND SMACK THE HELL OUT OF THE WOOD TO PUSH IT ALL THE WAY IN MAKE SURE THERE IS NO OPENING BEWEEN THE TWO IT HAS TO BE ALL THE WAY IN SO THERE IS NO CHANCE FOR A EXHAUST LEAK.

#12 TIGHTEN THE CLAMPS THAT ARE AROUND YOUR EXHAUST TO THE TEST PIPES. THEN PUT BACK THE TAIL PIPES AND BRACKET YOU MIGHT HAVE TO USE A PRI BAR TO GET THE EXHAST BACK WHERE IT BELONGS SO ITS STRIAGHT THAT’S WHY YOU DID NOT TIGHTEN THE TESTPIPES ALL THE WAY YET.

#13 SCREW BACK IN ALL SCREWS UNDER THE CAR AND BOLTS UNDER THE CAR AND PUT BACK THE BACK END OF THE CAR ALONG WITH THE WHEEL WELL GAURDS AND THE BACK TIRES.

# 14 MAKE SURE ALL BOLTS,SCREWS,NUT ARE TIGHTEN THE PLUGS IN THE 02’S THE 02 SENSORS THE TAIL PIPES THE TEST PIPES ECT….

#15 LOWER THE CAR AND START IT UP AND WITNESS THE BIGGEST SMILE KNOW TO MAN KIND!!!!!

IF ANY OF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN GETTING STUFF DONE TO YOUR CAR FOR A GREAT PRICE THAT INCLUDES THE SERVICE FOR 15K AND SO ON GET IN TOUCH WITH ME AND I WILL GIVE YOU MY PERSONAL MECHANICS PHONE NUMBER. ALL YOU WILL NEED IS A LIFT THE REST HE WILL BRING RIGHT TO YOUR HOME.

SOME OF THE BENAFITS CATS HOLD ALOT OF HEAT AND WIEGH ABOUT 35 POUNDS. THE CAR IS ALIVE NOW AND I THINK IT IS READY TO REALLY STRETCH IT'S LEGS NOW. THE CAR IS THANKING ME THATS FOR SURE
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    Just out of curiousity, what year is your car, and where is the second O2 sensor located that normally resides after the catalytic converter?

Nice job with the pics!

Best,
    Pino

3. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    picture 18 shows were the 02 is located then there was a extra one that had to be pluged up

2001 blk/blk/blk 360 modena

4. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    From looking at the pics, I only see one O2 sensor per test pipe.
    Am I missing something?
    OBD 2 cars normally have 2 sensors per catalytic converter, so 4 should be on your car.

I do know of one other 360 that inexplicably had only 2 total O2 sensors, one per cat.

Thanks,
    Pino

5. 355BOY

355BOY Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    the North
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's not a replica is it???

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Great write-up and pics. :)

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Bradley -

Gorgeous!!! My little ol' 348 has pipes too, and it's just wonderful. What are the emissions testing requirements in NY? Mine are fairly tough, but there's always "somebody" willing to help a non-OBDII car like mine. With your OBDII, how's that gonna work?

Now.... go find some tunnels !! (and earplugs)

-Daniel

8. vanny

vanny Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    buffalo ny
    Full Name:
    van molenberg
    now the big question-how are you going to handle the engine light coming on? as an fyi i was talking to a person at a ferrari meet last weekend and he thought you could disable that program specific to the cats.and o2 sensors using the ferrari program. don't know if this is true going to check with my dealership.would like to know your thoughths on this. there has been a lot of threads on this subject- how is the noise in the car?

9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Wow, the installation looks really great, and I can see why you say the engine breathing is much improved. You eliminate all of the backpressure from the cats and the twisted muffler system. But? Unless I'm missing something, your car is no longer street-legal without the cats. Are you planning on only running it on the track, or just not worried getting caught? Don't mean to be negative or insulting, but isn't that a concern?

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Nice job. How many hours of labor? Where'd you get your test pipes and if you don't mind what'd they run you?

11. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    There are total of four O2 sensors, two on the 2ndary CATs and two on the pre-CATs (exhaust manifold with three way CATs).

12. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Thanks for the pictures, great detail and fantastic step by step instructions. We haven't heard or read your experience with the sound, and power. Any noticeable power change, would have been good to dyno the car before and after and see what really happens to torque and hp.

13. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    not a replica

14. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    emmisions are tough here but i run a company where we have a dynometer machine here and have to do our own inspections on 120 vehicles so lets just say its taken care of.

15. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    ok first is the check engine light dont bother me it only comes on after 200 miles or so then i turn the battery on and off that will clear the check engine light un less there is a nother problem then the light will stay on then you take it to your dealer to figure why the light is still on.

no big deal really.

the noise in my car is loud much louder then a stradale thats for sure. I had my friend drive my car and i was in a stradale i could not even here the stradale and i was in the car my car just overpowered the sound of the CS 10 times fold.

its a little annoying but i get over it not for everyone but i also ripped all the carpets out of my car also so the sound insullation is now gone and i am sure that plays a big roll in how loud the car is inside

16. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    i really dont care ..... Don't mean to be negative or insulting also.

17. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    2 hours of labor the dealer i am sure will double that if not triple it its not hard to do if you have a lift and with this wright up it is step by step i suggest you try it yourself or with a friend that is familiar with cars.

tubi italy, 650 i think?

18. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    agrre i should have dynoed the car but i am sure i only gained 3-5 hp and you cant notice that driving it but throttle response is better and if you get a ram air challenge intake like i have maybe it put another 2-3 hp hahahahha is int that funny. anyway the car is the loudest 360 of the whole EC crew and louder then a stradale it just awesome. you wont regret it

19. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    I can verify having heard this tubi/de-cat setup on other 360s that it beats ANY setup on pretty much ANY car. It's absolutely amazing - a really shrill scream at high rpm kinda like an Indycar. It is NEVER EVER quiet but it's worth doing if you want the ultimate noise. Much better than the excessively harsh sound of the stock CS.

Just takes a brave man to install it and to ignore the crappy CE light which *may* come on (apparently - only comes on after 3 distinct (distinct = 3 seperate occasions) "out of range" voltage readings from the post cat lamda).

Go Buttuz - I know exactly how amazing it sounds - good job! And great write up!

20. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

OK, thanks. The "questionable" F-repair guy here told me 5.

21. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    well then go for it you got them cheeper then I.

also one other thing at idle the car sounds like a monster you will love it

22. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Nice write up Brad. I think I heard you start it up from my house! Are you going to challenge Gene for loudest exhaust?

23. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    gene will win already had the challenge vettes have a much louder sound but not better

24. phantasms

phantasms Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2003
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Gene

not better in your opinion, or mine. Someones though....someones.

25. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    In current OBD II systems the two O2 sensors look @ the difference between the two ( along with a ton of other info from the ecu such as throttle position, air temp, timing, on and on.) and use it to set a FI mixture level and timing. If these two meters readings are close or the same, you will get this CE signal that you are talking about because the ECU thinks that the cat or sensor has some how failed. Now just because the light goes away, the ECU will store the fault code for reading later via the OBD II port. You may be sending your ECU and FI into a bad place as it is still trying to make sense of the odd info it is now reading form the two O2 sensors. I have seen the end result in many modern cars ending up in the ECU's "Limp Home" mode or greatly lowered levels of performance, or even worse running leaner and leaner to try and get the post cat sensor into a usable range. If you have the means to run the car on the dyno as you said earlier I would test the A/F with a wide band o2 sensor to make sure that you are not headed down a bad road. Information is king when you start down this road. Noise may not = performance in many cases.

All the best

Chris