Renault 5 Turbos | FerrariChat

Renault 5 Turbos

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by f_the_ASR, Feb 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f_the_ASR

f_the_ASR Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Now Mid-West
    Full Name:
    Joe Polinchano
    Anyone here an owner? Looking for ownership info for either a Turbo 1 or Turbo 2.

Always loved the little things and I am close to getting in position to choose a new toy.

Thanks for the info.
    JoeP

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ive never owned one and havent even though about them until I saw your post.

Im just posting to say I LOVED them when I was a kid and hope you get one and have a hell of a time !

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I really wanted one of those, way back when. I bought a model, I bought the book (in French), I bought all kinds of magazines. But never got serious about putting my money down. It's probably a car that now-a-days has great potential for having been abused and neglected. I'd be really careful about checking for damage, don't buy one sight unseen.

4. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Are we talking the wide bodied mid engined RWD versions, or the slim FWD versions that were prone to catching fire??

5. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren

A friend here has a Turbo 2. What do you want to know?

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

we are talkin wide bodied and mid engined!!! real homologation specials!

7. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Love those cars. There was one awhile back in Florida for sale. Not sure if it had road papers, or was track only.

Darrell.

8. f_the_ASR

f_the_ASR Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Now Mid-West
    Full Name:
    Joe Polinchano
    That's right man. No Le Car config here.

General ownership thoughts to start. It's obviously a successful platform, but is it currently sustainable in the US? Those kind of things, you know? If this "friend" is in the VA area I would cover entry for one of FoW's events to get close, to ask questions, and to see it run.

Yeah. Believe me, I'd never buy ANYTHING sight unseen. I can't believe some of the stuff that I've seen people go through.

9. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    There's a yellow, white and black one (full Renault colors) running around Glendale (CA) that I see once in a blue moon. Real stunner. Gotti wheels and a real screamer. :) You've just gotta love that car.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Since it is a true racing car the motor is very stout. The trick is to turn up the boost and go for a safe 350bhp.

11. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    I'm not so sure the street cars got any kind of special block. It's a little 1.4L pushrod thing.

My friend had one with a bunch of work done to it. Claimed power was 230. He had to run 1/2 race gas in it. He sold it years ago but this was his car: http://kwyjibo.com/r5/

I drove it for about an hour once. Didn't stop laughing all that time. Tallish 1st gear, no off-boost power. Put foot down and wait, wait, wait, wait....WHEEEEEEEEEE. Repeat.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    220 was stock BHP. There is a boxer and countach owner on this site who has a boosted r5 perhaps he can weigh in. In any event the R5 turbo is awesome, a true race provenance thouroghbred that is still not stratospheric in price. A great car and a great buy.

13. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren
    Brenton, the owner loves it. It's in a garage with a few Ferraris and a Lamborghini Urraco so probably doesn't get used as much as it should, but I've seen it driven in anger on the track and it went very well. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.

Sorry but Adelaide (Australia) is probably a bit far from VA to justify the entry to an FoW event. :D

14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My brother has owned a couple of them. I believe he still has one in his collection, although I'm not sure.

It's a fun little car, although I prefer the Peugot 205 Turbo 16 if you're looking for that sort of thing.

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i owned one. the engine options were many...168 hp (turbo 1), turbo 2 options were 185hp, (stock) 225 hp, 260, and 360hp(tour de course option).

mine was silver w/ black, gotti wheels, devil exhaust, and 260 hp option. what a fun machine it was. i bought it under my 1 time exception and it came in from jensen beach, fla. those were the days!!!

16. Olczyk

Olczyk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Olczyk
    #16 Olczyk, Mar 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008