Fchat please price this 360 | FerrariChat

Fchat please price this 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by azcarguy, Feb 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Ok, I want to ask all the member/owners to look at my ad and price my car according to what you all think it's worth based on the 360 market as it is today. I have not pursued selling the car very aggressively as I do not "have" to sell and I do enjoy driving it. My motivation for selling is to move up the Ferrari food chain and due to my toy collection I am somewhat limited on space.

I want to preface this post by saying that I am uninterested in the "I'll take it for free/a dollar" etc responses. I would like those that are interested in responding to closely read the ad and make an intelligent determination where this car falls in todays market.

Here is the ad http://www.ferrarichat.com/ferrariads/showproduct.php?product=539

I thank you all in advance and there are no wrong answers or any answers that would offend me. I know my car is well taken care of and is driven as Enzo intended it to be!

2. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris

Gosh this is a tuff call! But based on the Datbase numbers we track at our dealership a MY99 US car with 45k miles would in the $97k range..since it is a euro car with attached stigma I guess it is in the $85k-90k range...I know Know I am going to get the guys that feel $65-$75k, I am just going off of out i see in our database..

It looks like it would make a good driver...

3. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I am close to Chris's lower $80k's number as a fair market value but my guess is the high miles will eliminate a lot of potential prospects. This will likely leave you with the "price motivated buyers" in the $60k's and $70's as Chris said......

4. ErikV10

ErikV10 Formula 3

Oct 30, 2006
    I was also thinking $85k-$90k considering the miles, manual transmission, and its Euro-spec.

Good luck with the sell!

Best,
    Erik G.

5. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    I think you are in the 75-80k range

GL with the sale

6. dreamcarswest

dreamcarswest Karting

Apr 4, 2007
    I think the price will also be affected by:

-tires
    -brakes
    -time and mileage since last 30K service
    -clutch wear

What's the status of these items?

I was offered two cars similar to this recently in the low 70K range.

7. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I believe an Fchatter had a similar car (softwaredrone?) with similar miles and condition (Red/Black, 45k miles, euro) and put it up for sale around a year ago or so for $89k and either it couldnt sell or he took a larger hit and didnt tell us if it sold.

I'm not a 360 owner, so my opinion may not count as much, but I'd say in the mid 70s, because of the euro car and miles.

Just my 2 cents,

James in Denver

8. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    I think any talk of $70k's is silly. For one, that's what a 355 can typically go for, and two, 2 or 3 months ago I was in the market and had peeked at a couple euros. None were even close to this. Have the prices utterly tanked in a few months? I doubt it.

9. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Thanks for the opinion and I am in agreement that the number would be in the 85-90 range (although I may list a bit lower in order to sell it) but am also in agreement that everyone wants something for nothing (although you said it with a bit more tact!)

10. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    My tires have less than 2500 miles on them

I have a set of Girodisc rotors and pagid pads on a shelf in my garage that would go with the car or I may put them on.

the mileage since the last 30k is less than 6k and the time is about 1 year

Clutch wear is unknown and its a manual so I can't say that I've seen a protocol for checking it. If my opinion counts the clutch is great with no slippage and solid engagement etc.

I have yet to see a 360 with all records, manuals, books in red with a six speed sell for anywhere near 70K. And just as a thought, I had multiple people offer me 88-89k when I listed the car last and the funny thing was not one of them produced the cash :) So my question to you is did you by either of the cars you were offered?

11. stitcher

stitcher Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    So Cal
    I think I agree with Jason and the others. A clean 99 low mileage (under 15K) US F1 is about 100K. Subtract ~15K-20K for miles, ~10K for manual; and 10% for Euro. Now it's about 65-70K. The floor is being held up by the value of 355's, which I suspect is around this price range, so maybe you can get 75K. I think your best bet is ebay more so than Ferrariads, because an unsophisticated buyer may find a 360 in this price range very appealing. Recently a US 99 F1 black 360, 30K miles went for 80K on ebay. Some questions I would have are: is this car ready to go (no service needed, including tires, brakes and clutch); and have all the campaignes been completed - suspect because as a Euro car, the owner would have had to pay out of pocket for updating the car (please correct me if I'm wrong).
    If you can convince the buyer this car does not have major issues, it might make for a great daily driver. Charles

12. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    While not familiar with Softwaredrone I did purchase this car from an F-chatter (and as stated in the ad all 3 previous owners are F-chatters).

Thanks for the input.

13. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I have to agree with you as far 70K being a pretty unrealistic number and as previously stated I have yet to see a car change hands for that figure or one close to it. I do hear a great deal from the "experts" as to the low value of the Euro cars but I'll be damned if I can find one that sold for under the mid eighties! I have seen 355's sell for 60-78K (actually sold my spider for 75K).

14. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I don't know where you're getting your information but you don't deduct for a manual you add, 3 pedal cars are desirable and that is no theory it's substantiated on this very forum by owners as well as those looking so I do have to disagree a bit on that point. And this car is red albeit with a combo interior and we all know resale red is usually first on the list.

I must also beg to differ on the "less sophisticated buyer" response as I would prefer my car go to someone that is thorough in their search and their research and is looking for a no-stories car with COMPLETE documentation (and that includes the DOT conversion docs) and has access to all previous owners which are community members and enthusiasts like myself. If you read some of threads in this forum you will find reviews and PPI's conducted on many eBay cars that came back with less than stellar reports. So I am not looking for the "sucker born every minute" type and I have refused to sell previous cars to folks that know little to anything about the marque and are "image buyers". I simply don't have the time or desire to deal with these types.

And as stated in my ad all services have been completed on time and the variator was taken care of long ago by the first owner under warranty. And the car is a fantastic driver and is really a lot of fun to own. I would say that 360 ownership is much more "pain free" than 355 ownership due to advancements in technology and the ease of maintenance. I do think that the 355 b is a more pleasing to the eye but don't miss the engine out services and odds and ends. And I don't want have to convince the buyer of anything I believe the buyer should do his/her diligence and purchase the best car for the money that meets their respective needs.

Thanks for the response.

15. stitcher

stitcher Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    So Cal
    This is what sold on ebay:

99 us silver 45K miles modena F1: $84.5K
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-FERRARI-360-MODENA-F1-SHIELDS-RED-CALIPERS_W0QQitemZ190199264116QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190199264116

Sold: 2000 black/blackF1 27K miles $92K: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-Ferrari-360-Modena-F1-CD-No-Reserve-Auction_W0QQitemZ270210240961QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270210240961

High bid (7): 82K - Did not sell Buy It Now: 2000 US red 6sp 24K miles: $89K http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/360-MODENA-6SPD-CD-CHANGER-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-CALL-NOW_W0QQitemZ370023469453QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370023469453

Since I'm a buyer and you are a seller, we are both doing what we are supposed to do, so I hope you don't take anything personal. Who knows, maybe I'll end up buying your car. So let's look at the facts:

Manual vs. F1: for an enthusiast, yes manual maybe, but for 90%+ of the rest of us, we prefer F1 - just check the ratio of F1 to manuals that F produces, plus it's a $8K option - I would personally pay more for an F1 and in fact a manual is a deal breaker for me.

US vs Euro: judging by the above (ebay), a US car, F1 with 25-40Kmiles would go for high 80's -90's. So a Euro manual in my mind goes for high 70's - 80's. With very good pedigree, which may be hard to substantiate with a Euro, maybe that's worth an extra 10K - just my humble opinion. If I were to get this car, I would think about a) are there any issues (sounds like not). b) resale - kind of a problem. So I, as a buyer, would be tempted at around $75K-$80K. I know you will hate me, but you implied in the original post you could take it - personally, I would probably just keep the car than give it away in this price range.

16. jsanocki

jsanocki Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2006
    NJ
    I don't see the euro being the problem.... the only drawback I see is your dash is reading in KM not miles. Not that I'm one for appearances, but personally I would want that changed. 45k is alot of miles, having it look like 73k? Thats another story! Not really a fan of the red carpet, I think that may hurt you some.... Red interiors don't seem to be that popular. 6-speed is a plus, for the right buyer. And for the right buyer, they are willing to pay more for a stick. Personally I am looking for a gallardo 6-speed, and would pay more for it, even though MSRP is 10k less....

But back to this car. Looking at what Ebay auctions closed at is a good idea, but don't judge it all based on that. Cars may look cleaner in the picture then in reality. But given the high miles and year as negatives, and the 355 holding its value, I think a realistic price, holding out for the right buyer, is at 80k. And given that the same miles DID NOT SELL (correction for above, the silver did not close at 84.5k) on ebay at
    82k (99 silver F1 45k US ver) you need to be priced against that. Nobody is going to look at the Euro as a negative, they are either going to love the car or hate it. You can't be too picky though at 80k! Your options are limited.

17. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

+1 Reasonable reply. Keep in mind, a fella Fchatter just purchased a 01 euro red/tan 360 spider w/ less than 10k miles for $91k off Ebay (PPI passed w/ flying color). I'd also agree w/ the poster that at this low price, you'd be better off to keep and enjoy it.

18. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    +2

Not an attack just our thoughts...which is what you asked for. If I were you I would stop gathering data and list your car at whatever you really want to get for it and see what happens...heck I hope it sell for 120k....you don't want potential buyers out there looking at these low numbers. List it an be firm...no sale in a month?? then adjust accordingly.

Best

19. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Jason and Tom, I think whats frastrating is that a couple of fire sale cars on ebay, do not set the market...on ebay that is what we are seeing, a true look at "asking prices" is Dupont registry...

Asking needs to be higher, if he starts low, he have to go lower...

20. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    stitcher - no offense taken, like you I am merely stating my position based on my research on this board as well as many other resources (FML, Ferrari NA, eBay etc) and have different takes on certain opinions made. I am looking for all input and yours is appreciated.

Spectrader - also agree that there are exceptional deals on occasion but would state that these are not the norm but rather the exception.

jsanocki - agree with you re Euro. After warranty is up this is a non-issue in my opinion. And can't really change the odo readout but have thought about doing a carpet swap but really don't want to alter the originality of the car, for better or worse!

jbdmd - I will sell the car for what the market will bear. I know the condition of my car and the buyer will come to realize it as well if he/she does their diligence and is screening properly.

Again all great opinions and it gives me an idea as to where the market is and where some peoples thoughts are so thank you all.

21. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

agree wholeheartedly. also, as part of the price discovery process, one should keep in mind that there is a immense value in a vehicle that has been owned by fella fchatter members, well cared, well documented and well sorted out.

g/l with your sale.

22. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Marc, Good luck with the sale!

23. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    regardless of what you price it for, pick an asking price and get it in the ad. I would also try eBay. I think a fair sales price (not asking price) is 80K +/-. What ever price it will bring today will be more than six months from now. Good luck
    Al

24. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    That's the way I looked at it, and that means there's at least two of us!

25. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Thanks Drew