Would you sell your Ferrari for the NEW Porsche Carrera (997)? | FerrariChat

Would you sell your Ferrari for the NEW Porsche Carrera (997)?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by gary308gtb, May 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gary308gtb

gary308gtb Rookie

Oct 9, 2003
    Being a Ferrari owner, most of us owners have dated models aside from the 550, 360, 575, Enzo, and 612 owners.

Would you sell your 90's, 2000 and up Ferrari for a late 2004 or Early 2005 Porsche 911 ? A friend of mine is selling his 355 F1 to get the 997 late this year.

Do you think the technology will be very different ? Of course, 911 Carreras are not as high performance as the newer Ferraris only much cheaper and affordable. What do you think ?

2. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I sold my last Porsche to get my first Ferrari and there is no way I would think of going back,imho it is a step downwards.To me it does not really matter about the new technology or anything else the pure and simple fact is I have always wanted a Ferrari.

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    This is a question of personal taste and / or circumstance. Who else can say what goes into a decision like this?

I say, try everything once and THEN comment based on personal experience (not out of magazine reviews or the experience of others). I sold a 993 cab and regret it but by the same token, I'd sell my Maranello if (one day) I felt like trying something I thought was better or different.

DL

4. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I'm a life long Porsche fan and owner, but I wouldn't trade an old pair of shoes for the 997. From the pics I've seen it doesn't appeal to me. The interior looks very "sedan" in my mind.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Not me (if I had one to trade).

6. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    I had a Modena as well as a 2001 GT3. Though the GT3 is a fantastic car, it never give me the kind of thrill that the Modena does. Being in a Ferrari is just so different. I've sold the Modena and bought my Stradale and the difference is even more glaring.

The trouble with Porsche, they have a facelift every year and before you realise it, your car has changed its looks. I just hate that. So I'll never buy another Porsche.

7. banduga

banduga Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    Hong Kong
    The newer Porsches (996 on) seem so tame. I know they're great cars (I used to have a '94 3.6 Turbo), but they're also putting on weight! I don't even look at 911s anymore, apart from the Turbo or the GTs. I read somewhere (here?) that people are so used to the shape now, and are thus a bit "numb" towards the 911.

Having said that, if I had the cash, there would also be a 911 Turbo sitting in my garage...

8. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    No, keep the F and buy a used C4S. Summer and winter fun.

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You could commute to work in a Porsche, 365 days a year.
    you would love to commute to work in a Ferrari 365 days a year.
    Most likely you would survive an accident in a Porsche.
    Most likely you would be injured in an accident in a Ferrari.
    Most Likely your first oil change will be at 15,000 miles in a Porsche
    Most Likely your Ferrari will have a service appointment b4 your first oil change.
    Most Likely you will be less stressed driving your Porsche.
    Most Likely you will not park your Ferrari alone for more than 20 minutes without worrying.
    Most Likely You will wash your Porsche every weekend.
    Most likely you will clean your ferrari after every Drive.
    Most likely you will lead a normal Life driving your Porsche.
    Most likely you Will Die with a smile on your face driving a Ferrari.

10. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I own a 996 and a 360 and the cars are not comparable at all. Porsche is a great car and remains a great car but because they are stuck in a 40 year old shape it is hard to improve the areo-packge for high-speed stability. The number one fault (while there are others) of a Porsche is its high-speed stability. Mine is rated at 177MPH and I once took it up to 147 or so and a cross-wind in an open/smooth freeway got the car all out of shape. Since then I don't have the balls to take it above 120 mark any more. But I have to hand it to the engineers, they have really improved the traction through the bends. I don't have PSM on mine and hardly ever need it, the car behaves fantastic through track if you don't lift off or brake during the turn.

11. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Like others I believe it is a step down. However, if he insists on going to Porsche, he would be well advised to buy a used 996. The 997 base model performance is just a tick better and yet costing more.If you want better performance, one needs to buy the S model which will cost $10,000 more than the base model.

Also, new Porsche these days are notorious for the steep depreciation. US owners take a considerable haircut buying a new Porsche. By buying used, the steep depreciation is factored in.

12. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Nope.

I don't consider cars like the GT2 or GT3 a step down, though - the GT3 has got to be one of the best track day/street cars out there. I don't like Porsche's family resemblance styling; I wouldn't want the Enzo, Maranello and Modena to look alike.

13. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    No way. I drove the 996 cabrio turbo before I bought my 355 spyder. What a boring speed appliance. Very fast but boring.

14. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    True, it's like dating a drug addicted, shopaholic, nyphomaniac, bisexual supermodel. Beautiful torture.

15. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i agree alan, the 996 turbo i have driven are fast and confortalble and as easy to drive as a hinda civic...and boring!!!! quiet and smooth.. a very fast buick!!!! the 993s sounded better and were more fun to drive..in fact, iwould get a z06 over a new 996 turbo and save 65k!!!!!heck then you could try to find an olderf355 for a few k extra and have 2 cars!!!!

16. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    no, not even it's quad-turbo. :D

17. squidracing

squidracing Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Question......how do you tell the difference between a new Porsche, and a 10 year old model??

You can't!! They have not changed the car for decades. Talk about a tired model.

I'm not debating the merits of the machine...the design is just boring as all get out.

18. Jet911M3

Jet911M3 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Don
    The last normal Porsche to be fun and thrilling to drive was the 993 Turbo. The 996 variants are like driving a normal, but awfully quick, sedan.

19. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    The key to keeping the shell pretty much the same makes it a recognizable brand. And, others complain that the company changes the look too often. Yes, may be a flare here and a light there but overall it is the same car, and, to my understanding the problem. Look at other Porsches that have come and gone! 911 family otherwise has survived, probably mainly due to its looks. Sienfield probably as a Porsche fanatic cares if they ever changed the look of 911!

20. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Seems like someone is speaking from experience ;)

21. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve

wrong he wants a 993 as porsche have not solved the water problems yet in the 996 over here in the uk they are swopping loads of engines under warrenty and are doing a good job of keeping it quiet from the motoring press best porsche is the 1984 1989 3.2 carrera model even the 1990 onwards leek oil after 70000 miles

22. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I would pass on the deal. But to keep both, that is another dilema.

23. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I have loved Ferrari's since I was 10 years old and got my first one when I was 20 years old back in '92 a 328gts, before that I had already owned a 944 turbo, '83 928s and '94 Carrera 3.2, also I had a NSX for 2 years and in '99 i bought a Testarossa '88 year model. I just sold the Testarossa and bought a 996 turbo, the turbo its got more performance than a 360 or a 550 Maranello, it will destroy a 355. People look at my car and give thumbs up admiring the lines and respecting the superior performance. The porsche doesnt have anything to envy about the contemporary Ferrari's, it is a superior car, I do know the looks of the TR were way better but thats all.

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Ma**.

I thought that was you. Good to see you on line after last weekend. Send me a Private email, I like to hook up next time, soon in Half Moon Bay.

Mitchell.

25. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    i would never sell my italian car for any german car.

too long an expalnation for most to understand