want to lower the front of my 1984 308 | FerrariChat

want to lower the front of my 1984 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by bocaspyder360, Jan 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaspyder360

bocaspyder360 Karting

Jan 18, 2008
    How do you lower the front of the 308.. can it be done with the factory springs? I feel the front end is maybe a 1/2" high.. please advise if it can be done and if so HOW...

thanks in advance

2. Ferrari328GT

Ferrari328GT Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Here's one possibility for you. I read this in a book and decided to try it on my BMW. It works. What you are going to do is to coil bind the springs and heat them.

Remove the springs from the car. Fabricate two 1/2" steel plates with a one inch hole in the center. Bolt something to each plate that will keep the spring from sliding sideways. Put a long 1" threaded rod through one plate, the spring, and the other plate. Compress the spring with nuts until the spring is completely collapsed. Add a second nut to each end for safety. Now heat the assembly in an oven for 30 minutes at 400 degrees. The temperature will shorten the spring without it losing its temper. Let it cool completely, and take it apart. The spring will be shorter by about 1/2" to one inch. Problem is, I don't know by how much. If you can get your hands on a spare set, try those first. The advantage to shortening the spring this way is that you don't change the spring rate, like it does when you cut it. It might take some experimenting, but it will work. How brave are you? Let us know if you do it! -Steve

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    There are four practical options that I'm aware of:

1. Use a different (deeper) fixed lower spring perch and the stock spring (a couple hundred $ for a pair)

2. Have Koni-NA modify/rebuild your stock front shocks with an adjustable (threaded) lower spring perch, and they can supply slightly shorter/stiffer front springs too (roughly $700~$1000 for a pair plus the downtime) -- see this thread: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138838.

3. Buy a set of shorter/stiffer springs that fit the stock shock from QV London (maybe $500? -- but might be more with the bad $ and the shipping if you are in the US).

4. Go to an aftermarket shock/spring that has an adjustable (threaded) lower spring perch (maybe $1500?)

Try searches using "lower spring perch", "QV London springs", and "Varishocks" -- should get you a lot of threads that cover these four methods.

4. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    #4 WaltP, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I lowered mine using QA-1 shocks and Eibach springs for around $400 in material and did the labor myself. I still have to do the rear.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    whatever you do, do NOT cut the factory springs...

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The ONLY good options involve buying new springs. The reason is that when you lower the car, you reduce the suspension travel and therefore the spring travel. What that means is the spring not be applying the force it once was so not only is the car closer to the ground, it take less of a bump to bottom the suspension make you much more prone to bottoming and scraping and such.

for example if you have currently have 6" of travel and a 180lb/in sping (I think those numbers are close) you get 6*180=1080 lb of force from the spring before it bottoms. If you reduce the travel to 5" you only get 900. To lower the car 1" and keep the same spring force you need to increase the spring rate to 6/5*180= 216. Most people who lower a 308 run 300lb/in front and 250 lb/in rear some go as low as 250F/200R and others (me) as high as 450F/400R

The stock springs are good for an original, stock car. If you start messing with the ride height or want it to handle properly the stock springs (and shocks) belong in a dumpster.

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How much (inches) did you lower you car?

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #8 Mike C, Jan 28, 2008
  9. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    When I first set the car down with the new shock/spring combination it must have been at least 2 inches lower. I had to raise it some, I couldn't get out of my driveway but it's still pretty low in the front.

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice thanks, I personally like to lower my two inches, seems to looks just right for me.

11. Ferrari328GT

Ferrari328GT Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Aw, gee, mk e, you're no fun. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, and if you're willing to give up a half inch of travel. Sure, all new stuff is better, but where's your sense of adventure. :) The worst you could do is ruin the stock springs, then go spend $400 to $1500. In any case, you'd learn something. -Steve

12. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    #12 NYJETSFAN, Jan 30, 2008
  13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

I thought you did not lose suspension travel when using lowered spring perches or threaded body shocks. Only when using shortened springs. Assuming the drop is no more than say 3/4".

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
  15. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    That would be incorrect. When you lower the car, the car is closer to the ground and all the suspension parts are closer to their travel limits regardless of how you do the job. gs.

The question then is will it be a problem? The answer is that it depends on how and where you drive.

Cutting the spings and getting the increase in spring rate would be the best of the cheap options if it weren't for the fact that you'd be buggering the end up which often leads to broken springs.

Lowering perches, adjustable collars or bulldozing the spring (the vise, copmressor, hammer, oven method) won't break anything unless you actually needed the travel you had and didn't realize that.

QA1 shocks that are so popular here only cost about $500, it would only take 1 damaged tires, fender lip or front air dam to pay for them. Plus the stock springs and shock absolutely S*CK by modern standards, new shocks and springs will make the car handle night and day better and let you safely lower the car a bit (I went 1" and that is as far as I feel safe going becasue I find I use most of the travel even with the 450/400 springs.....ok I drive a tad on the aggressive side at times, but still). Better shock work better yet, I love the $500 a piece Ohlins shock I have and still think its money well spent because the car drives great with no harshness of any kind even with the high spring rate I have.

16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    +1

17. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name: