A few new pictures of the 365P | FerrariChat

A few new pictures of the 365P

Discussion in '206/246' started by MarkT, Jan 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    #1 MarkT, Jan 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    BJK likes this.
  2. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Thank you for the nice photos of the beautifull 365P. Please post more if you have some. This is for me the big DINO 246 GT with V12 engine. Unfortunatelly, there are only 2 on earth... Really a beautifull car.

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Save for the freaky taillights, that is absolutely a beautiful car. Great color too.

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Is this the one Lou Chinneti owns/owned or the ex-Bud Keeney?

Jeff

5. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    #5 MarkT, Jan 8, 2008
  6. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    I built a 1/24:1 (or 1/12:1 ??) scale model of that car about forty (40 years ago, but I don't recall the glass roof. I can't say I remember it from any of the books I've seen it in either.

Nice pictures though, please post more if you have them.

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Some years back I had a conversation with Lou about this car. He said as he restored it he kept discovering more and more unique detail difference between it and the other 365P.

Jeff

8. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #8 GIOTTO, Jan 8, 2008
  9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I love the three seat design, now where have i seen that before.................Mclaren F1 road car. Seems like they started earlier than we all thought.

I did see this car about 3 years ago thundering along the road in the UK (Essex) sounded awesome.

Tony

10. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Always loved these, I wonder if they get hot inside with the glass roof?

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Is this the one that had the V12 engine?

12. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Notice the transport truck full of Alfa Romeo Duettos in the background of the last photo? I had a '67 Duetto before I bought my Dino. I loved that car! So much fun and so easy on the eyes. Sorry, back to our regularly scheduled program. ;-)

13. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California

Also note they are bodies on the way to assembly w/ running gear.

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Except for the GTC and the GTB/4, all Ferrari 365s had triple taillights.

15. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    That's hott.

16. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    #16 MarkT, Jan 8, 2008
    Here are a few more snaps. It is a beautiful car. It get my juices up to finish mine.

The last picture is my Dino which I have owned since '74. I am slowly restoring it and as you can see my garage is a bit small. lucky I have a friend with a shop that has a great spray booth. I did all of the sheet metal work and the conversion to Euro specs. Clean welding was my biggest challenge. It took me weeks to get the body lines as nice as I wanted- all optical illusion since the left side of the front came from the factory about 3/4 inch higher then the right side. I got way more picky doing the bodywork then I was when I first bought her- I just accepted the body the way it was delivered. Now I have no idea how I want to paint in the black along the bottom in the front and rear so for now I have not painted it. Looks like a few others have not painted the bottom black on their cars.

I work very slowly. My motor is still on my bench in my basement waiting for me to finally complete the mating of my trans to the block. It has been there for over three years as I worked on the body--it took me four years to get the way it is in the picture.

I never thought that I would own a car so long that it would need to be restored. I also never thought that I could run a beautiful car into the ground so it needed to be restored.--- But then again I loved to drive it as often as I could rather then just preserve it for the next owner. When I get it done it goes back on the road.

I have watched with interest the other restorations threads especially Omgjon- great stuff. Inspires me to keep going.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK likes this.
  17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I love that pic with all the Duettos on the carrier........and the Lancia Fulvia in the parking lot. :)

18. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Hey MarkT,
    'always good to see photos of a work in progress. Do you have more of the Dino?
    Thanks,
    Coop

19. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Uh wasn't the Simca Matra Bagheera long before the McLaren F1 ? I remember riding in one of those in the late 70s with the 3 seats.

Now of course the 365P has the central driving position like the McLaren, the Bagheera was LHD.

20. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    Thanks Coop---it has been a long road- much longer then I thought it would be. I am not sure I took any interesting pictures since I just took shots to remind me what a pain a certain area of work was for me to do right- no real beauty shots. I did take a bunch of pictures when I stripped it down so I could remember how it goes together but for the most part I mostly have close ups of welding difficult areas such as the Euro front turn signal pockets as well as specific areas in the body work and blocking process. Most are not as nice as what other threads show. Is there any type of shot you would like to see?

21. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    it has the tipo 245, 4.4 liter v-12 that is also in the 365GT2+2