Goodwood Festival of Speed | FerrariChat

Goodwood Festival of Speed

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by rfking, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    I'm a Goodwood member who attends the Revival, but has never made it to the Festival of Speed.

I need some recommendations for how to make the most of a trip should I decide to make the trip this July. Specifically, any recomendations for accomodations that may still be available? Any other advice for a first timer?

Thanks,

Roy

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Fantastic event. The web site is a good starting point. I hope to be there with something interesting.

3. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    i went for the first time this past june, on the last day, was pouring down rain, it was cold and i felt terrible, however it was the greatest day of my life ever, you simply must go

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Can I just stay on your sofa, tonyh????

How far is this, from London??

COLD???? In JUNE???

That's right though, Jim did make the run in the rain......

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    of course, tex :)

goodwood's an hour from me -i live about 9 miles from london . on revival/fos days allow at least double that

7. buster bram

buster bram Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2005
    mussolini's Garage
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Booked in Thursday till Sunday (Bring it on)

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Awesome event - try 'search' on 'Goodwood advice' - should yield about a dozen useful threads

9. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Hope to see you there Jim :)

10. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    FOS is a fantastic event but it clashes with the Classic Le Mans this year. Going to give that a go for a change.

11. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Tried that as soon as I had the idea but everything is booked.

My sister lives in Fulham, but the drive is too much on a daily basis. I've stayed at a couple of places - like the Hilton in Portsmouth - it was pretty awful.

Thanks - Roy

12. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Thanks

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    you may be better off trying a B&B in one of the nearby villages -maybe in Midhurst-or staying a bit further out in Chicister , either way you'll have no choice but to join the single track A roads to get to near Goodwood . Here's this year's theme

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3700.asp?id=13637

14. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    After doing a bit more searching of threads, I sent a few emails off to some very nice looking B&Bs around Midhurst - we'll see what I get in the way of responses other than "you must be joking!"

Thanks for the article - it looks like it will be a great year to attend.

15. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    :) let us know how you get on

rgds
    tony

16. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #16 JazzyO, Jan 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was there last year - 3 days after buying my first Ferrari. What an awesome event! But bring a rain coat...

For the Goodwood Revival I stayed in Portsmouth. The hotel at the old pier I stayed in (the Royal) was faded glory but the town is quite a good base. It takes about 40 minutes to get to Goodwood in the morning. The new waterfront is great, some nice pubs and restaurants there.

Onno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

Brilliant event, I love the Festival of Speed and have been 5 times... Sadly I'm not going this year, as we'd decided to try the Le Mans Classic, which is the same weekend.

It depends on your budget, but accomodation in the immediate Goodwood area will already be tight. If you are happy to get a bit further out and travel say 40/50mins into the event you'll have no trouble.

I tend to stay in Crawley (London Gatwick airport) which is big enough for food and pubs at night and the presence of the airport means loads of bed & breakfast accomodation. Then each day I cruise down through leafy Sussex on the A29/A27 or A285. In fact there are loads of nice little lanes and that is part of the event for me.

You could try:

Little Foxes bed and breakfast, Ifield, Crawley, East Sussex 0044 1293 529 206 (nice location)
    Hills Barn bed and breakfast, Ifield, Crawley, East Sussex 0044 1293 871 274 (also nice location)

I think these were about £40-£50/night, clean, respectable if not luxurious.

also
    Armarni Manor 0044 1293 511 938 (I didn't like this one so much, clean but a bit odd and the location was dull).

If you do the show over a couple of days, I'd resist the temptation to get there too early in the day. The number of tickets is restricted but the queues to get into the car parks can be serious. I came around to arriving later and staying into the early evening. About 4pm all the local "day trip" families have to go home and feed the children. The place suddenly empties, but the event continues until all the timed runs or practise sessions are complete, often to about 7pm! Great.

However you do it, I hope you enjoy the event... actually I'm sure you will.

David

308 GTS carb

18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You'll porbably not find a bed closer !

The drive isn't that bad maybe 2 1/2 hours for the 75 miles that weekend

19. f430gilroy

f430gilroy Karting

Jul 25, 2007
    Full Name:
    Gilroy
    My brother lives so close to Goodwood, if i stand on his balcony, I can hear the F1 cars (and watch all the air dispaly) perfectly:D, btw its one of the best motoring events ever, never miss it, despite the weather:D

20. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Thanks for the ideas - I will get emails or phone calls off to these places.

21. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    how about camping? renting a rv seems an alternative to a b&b. is there a car park for rvs?

22. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    no ! the roads in the uk are generally far too small :)

23. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

As long as you are prepared to travel a few miles, there is plenty of accomodation scattered through Sussex, some very pretty.

Personally I'd stay away from Southampton and Portsmouth; a bit urban for my taste. Chichester and Arundel are nice towns, but perhaps too close to Goodwood and I reckon you're already too late to get a room there. You might still get something in Pulborough or Billingshurst, although a bit further out is more likely.

Paste / click / follow this link to get a map centred on Goodwood, then zoom out to pick likely towns/villages on a 20-40mile radius.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=487500&Y=110000&width=700&height=400&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=&zm=0&scale=50000&multimap.x=485&multimap.y=317

Then good web sites to use as a starting point.

YELLOW PAGES (UK telephone listing book)

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?ssm=0&scrambleSeed=56932241&keywords=bed+and+breakfast&companyName=&location=sussex&M=0&x=0&y=0

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?startAt=10&keywords=bed+and+breakfast&location=sussex&scrambleSeed=56932241&M=0&searchType=advance&ssm=0&startOoaAt=0&ppcStartAt=0&potential=439

and SMOOTH HOUND.co.uk - listing of accomodation (plenty other sites exist, but they seem to have a fairly good coverage).

http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/42.html

http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/31.html

Finally Goodwood does allow camping, I've seen tents and RV (motorhomes) in a areas immediately around the site. I'd contact Goodwood themselves to get those details though. I'd love to take a big motorhome and be parked right on their doorstep, maybe the 308 on the trailier, a few beers, some craich and the bar-b-que burning... would be nice. I haven't done that yet and don't know how you arrange that.

I hope this is helpful.

Yours,

David

308 GTS carb

24. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Thanks for the suggestions on how to go about it. I got no positive responses from the 5 or so emails I sent out this weekend, so I will go further afield as you suggested.

I'll let you know how I come out.

Roy

25. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    I have found two double rooms at a very nice B & B, 7 miles from Goodwood, July 10-13th, 400 quid each for the three nights.

What do you think?