#3387 GTO in DC? | FerrariChat

#3387 GTO in DC?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 4REphotographer, Nov 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    97/sep - Bernard Carl, Washington DC, USA

Barchetta states that 3387 is in DC, does anyone have any information about this car, afaik no one has seen or heard about it in the DC area. Thanks ahead of time.

2. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    It was/is stored in the UK but is owned by Bernie Carl

3. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    Would it sound crazy if I said I spotted this car last spring in Georgetown? Given the rarity of the car, I assumed it was a fake. Also, I remember the wheels were really shiny, but looking at the pictures on Barchetta, it could the real thing. Has anybody else seen it around DC?

Peter

4. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    #4 azfast1, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    I and my Ferraris live in Georgetown, have never seen a real or a fake GTO in this villiage

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi
    Mr AZFAST1
    Nice car
    If you would like to store it in the UK, i have quite a large garage and the climate over here is much better the AZ.
    Storage would be free as long as you wouldn't mind me taking it for a spin every now and then!
    what do you think?
    Grant

7. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    heard it's stored at the dupont(grand touring) warehouse. wouldn't be crazy to see it in georgetown. the guy lives off mass ave not far from there. still owned by carl. he lives in england and D.C..

8. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    Wow that's very cool. A couple weeks (months?) ago I spotted the Horseless Carriage trailer leaving Georgetown via the Key bridge. Did you get a new toy?

Wetpet:
    That would be amazing, although I'm curious now. Azfast posted a picture of a blue GTO, but Barchetta pictures a red car. The one I spotted on M street was red - maybe Carl's?
    Man, this may change my opinion in the "replica debate." I immediately discounted the car as a fake, because I didn't think it was possible to se one on the road.

Happy Thanksgiving to all - I am especially thankful for Bernie for actually driving one of the most beautiful cars ever, and the knowledge on this board.

Peter

9. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    Ok, just looked through some threads and it looks like 3387 is blue, so it was not the car that I saw. Maybe it was the fabled rebody of a 250 PF coupe that has been seen around here?
    Also, does anybody have any connection to Mr. Carl? Maybe we could try to set up an event if there is enough interest? It would be great to see such a legendary car in the metal.

Peter

10. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Owners of GTOs use them more than many realise.

Nick Mason is quoted as using his in cold/snowy weather for the school run when nothing else would start.
    I saw Irvine Laidlaw driving his recently restored GTO on the roads in England back in June
    Fabrizio Viollati uses his often, an issue of Forza covered this and called it his "daily driver"
    Fritz Kroymans regularly exercises his.
    Looks like Bernie Carl does too.

I cant think of many/any GTOs that are treated like "garage queens". They are actually driven. Its only the rarity factor that makes us believe we will never see one on the road.
    They are out there and spread fairly evenly over the continents

11. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    That is exactly right, and I think a product of the cars being in enthusiasts hands rather than mere collectors. I still am appreciative that they decide to use their cars, even though I know many do even without anybody's thanks. How about R.Lauren? Does he ever drive that car, or did he neuter history (my opinion) so he could have a lawn ornament?

Peter

12. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Thanks for the info. I remember Fabrizio Viollati and the article. Great read. Is his not the red one he drives all over? I think he's owned it since new or at least for a very long time??? The Forza pics are of him driving it with his dog in the passenger seat correct? Priceless either way! :)

13. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    Bernie Carl also has (or had up until recently) a residence on Long Island in Southhold. The car spent some time in a shop on Long Island. Huntington I think. I don't remember if he said it was restored there or not.

14. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    In Huntington? Would that be Perrone's place, I think Berlinetta Motorsports?

-dsd

15. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  16. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    probably the red replica. i think he is a lawyer that lives in d.c. too.

17. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    just finished reading the evo article about 3527gt when it was restored in england and the owner jumped in it and drove it down to the south of france.

18. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Wetpet:
    Replica = Fake

19. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I prefer the term "fakey pooh" and personally wish I could just once have the experience. OK Maybe more than once.

20. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    sorry michael, you know what a diplomat i am.:)