308 Engine Rebuild & CIS to TWM Throttle Bodies Conversion Thread! | FerrariChat

308 Engine Rebuild & CIS to TWM Throttle Bodies Conversion Thread!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Pizzaman Chris, Sep 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #1 Pizzaman Chris, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
    Hi everybody,

Well, looks like i will be pulling my engine out, with the help from some great friends, to tackle my shifting problems that i have had since i have owned the 308.
    Little history.

When i bought the 308, about 14 years ago, she always had a problem with downshifting into 1st. The guy I bought it from told me "that's how these cars are with syncros. You have to do a complete stop to get them into 1st gear" What did i know about Ferrari's. I knew i wanted one and there was no one to ask or anywhere to go (internet) to find out. So i lived with it.

But now i'm having problems with 2nd. Getting her into 2nd, even warm, is almost impossible. From 1st to 2nd you have to keep the RPMs to under 2k and then it might go into 2nd. And then after i shift to 3rd, then forget about downshifting to 2nd if you have to slow down cause of traffic or yield. I have to pull over and do a complete stop to get her into 1st and then i can proceed. What a pain.

I had the "Great One", Verell, come over to check it out for me. He thought it might just needed a Shift linkage adjustment. But after he did a few test and called another Pro for his thoughts, the conclusion was "the dreaded syncros" were the culprits.

Verell also showed me how to double-clutch. He did it pretty easy, but to me it's like chewing gum and walking.......... at the same time!

I'm starting this Thread a little early cause i'm in Florida and i have plenty of time to write this nice and long. Hey, I got plenty of time while i'm hanging out by the pool.

As soon as i get back we will do a leakdown and then i'll start draining all fluids, start taking apart as much as i can and if all goes well, we will pull the motor out on Oct 14.

Verell has the whole month of Sept taken with his son getting married and entertaining guest.

2. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    this is a job i will need to do in the near future ..... will be watching with interest........... GOOD LUCK pizzaman......

3. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Chris,

I really wish I could be there to help too, or at least maybe just watch!

Keep us posted on the progress, and please take a lot of pictures!

On a side note: I learned something after-the-fact about disassembling mine. Someone in the group may already know this, so it may be redundant. But I didn’t. And it would have saved me a lot of headache if I’d known how to do this before I started.

BTW: It’s not in the manual either. :p

When you’re ready to remove the ring-nuts, you will have undoubtedly also removed the small bearings that lock the shift-shafts. Under normal conditions, the little bearings keep you from being able to accidentally put the transmission into two gears (i.e., 3rd and reverse) at the same :eek: time. And this is a good :D thing. Except :rolleyes: when you want to remove the ring-nuts, and have no other way to keep all the parts from turning while you’re trying to unscrew those darned things!

So put your gearbox in two gears at once and you’ll have the leverage you need to unscrew the nuts. Hope this helps!

Good luck!

D.

4. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Good luck. Please keep us posted on parts prices too.

Thanks,

Aaron

ferrari#7 likes this.
  5. tvine

tvine Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2006
    Cadillac, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom Vine
    Do you have access to the ring nut sockets you need?

6. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Good luck Chris, enjoy the rest of your vacation too!

Jeff

7. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Hi David,

Thanks for chiming in. And yes, i will take plenty of pictures.

I have been reading your Thread and i'm telling you, I got a lot of learning to do.

And Thank you for any tips you can offer. :) I will be placing a picture of you in the garage as our inspiration. :)

Chris

8. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Tom,

I hope Verell has them. I will have to ask him.

Thanks

9. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    LOL!!! Thank you :D

You have to use the frogman picture though...

BTW: With any luck, I'll be starting (or is that finishing? :p ) mine next month. Yippiee!!!

10. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #10 Pizzaman Chris, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Hey Chris,

Man, I wish I lived close by (actually, I wish you all lived out here). You got a great bunch of guys out there. Looks like you're going to be supplying pizzas to everyone for a while.

Henry

12. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #12 Pizzaman Chris, Oct 2, 2007
  13. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I guess that would work. I was taught to let a shop rag roll into the gears to hold them. I would be afraid of having to force the sleeve over the teeth if they wernt aligned quite right. Guess it would depend which two gears your trying to lock.

14. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Quite a few Pizza's!

15. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    So what other "While we have it outs" are you planning? You know there are going to be some!!!!

JIM

16. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    I don't think the pizza's alone are going to do it Dom. LOL

We're talking subs AND salads too. :D

17. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Jim,

I don't want to even THINK about what i can do while it's all out. ;)

But i know you guys will let me know of "what to take care of while you're in there."

18. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #18 D.Mauro, Oct 2, 2007
  19. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Oooh! That looks nice.

Dominick, did you do anything special with the engine removed?

20. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I"ve been told that doing the headers - cleaning/bead blasting/powdercoating and the main collection exhaust pipe are probably a 'must', since the front bank headers are almost impossible to remove with the engine in the car. Also, you'll want to replace every hose - air/coolant/oil/fuel hose since they'll be so darned easy to reach them all. Oh, and I would imagine you'll want to replate clamps and fasteners - I don't see this being much $$$, just busy-work for when stuff is 'out' to the machine shop or you're awaiting pistons or piston rings to arrive.....it seems VERY popular to clean everything and plate/powdercoat/polish the belt and cam covers to something fancy. I want to HIGHLY polish/buff mine - some folks prefer crinkle/powder coating - whatever floats da boat, ya know?

I noticed that the headers were 'off' in the pics above, so.....

21. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick

22. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Guys,

Any advice on taking the back lid off, besides having extra hands. :)

Doesn't look like rocket science, 3 bolts on each side. Hmmmm...... but it can't be that easy............or is it??

23. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    It is just that easy, do not forget to unplug the license plate light.

24. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Make sure to protect all the surroundng body work in case of a bump (don't ask me how I know). Definitely have another set of hands.

How much would a large pepperoni pie be delivered to the west coast? And, would you guarantee that it would be hot? :)

25. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Henry,

For you, $9.75 plus big tip.:)