Unobtainium Supplies: Delrin Shift Bushings | FerrariChat

Unobtainium Supplies: Delrin Shift Bushings

Discussion in '308/328' started by Verell, Nov 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #1 Verell, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A month or so ago, I was collecting tools, etc to go help a local 308 owner do a shift adjustment & change the shift bushings. He'd already bought the rubber based OEM SilentBloc bushings.

2 of the tools I dug out were the bushing replacement tool & shift alignment tool that I bought from Kermit before he totally dropped out of sight.

In the box with the tools was one of the Delrin shift bushings I'd bought from Kermit to replace the bushing inside the console. However, just replacing the bushing beside the engine had resolved my shifting problems so I never bothered to pull the console apart.

Anyway, looking at the bushing I realized that with Kermit gone, they have't been available for several years. So I set out to reproduce them. Took some testing & research to figure out the exact hardness & elasticity that he'd been using, but I finally located the material in Europe.

The picture shows 2 of the first production Unobtainium Supply Delrin Shift Bushings.

These are far superior to the OEM rubber & metal bushings. Unlike rubber, delrin is resistant to oil, coolant, gasolene & other chemicals found in an automotive environment. It is self-lubricating, and doesn't deteriorate with engine compartment heat the way rubber does.

Once you've installed these bushings, you should never have to replace shift bushings again!

You'll also be surprised at how much more positive & crisp your shifts are.

If you're interested, the price is:

$36.90/bushing = $35.00 each + $6.90 S&I, or

$76.90/pair of bushings = $35.00 x 2 + $6.90 S&I.

To order, send email to:

Orders(at)UnobtainiumSupply(dot)com
    SUBJ: ORDER: Qty n Shift Bushings

More Unobtainium Coming late this year:

Shift Bushing installation tool - Makes pressing the old shift bushing out & installing the new bushing as easy as using a ratchet on a nut.

Shifter Alignment tool - Exactly centers the shifter & locks it into place while you do a shift alignment.

Transmission Shift Alignment tool - Locks the shift forks inside the transmission into place while you do a shift alignment. It will also also permit you selectively enable one shift fork at a time to move.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Cool. I want some. Do you take paypal?

Aaron

3. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant
    Same Here

Jeff

davescott10 likes this.
  4. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hi Verell,

you got mail :)

5. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    No, he's got 2 mails...:)

JIM

6. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    When does Verell find the time to make all these cool NLA products??

7. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Making NLA stuff, helping locals with their 3x8 projects, posting on multiple forums....I think that he may be some sort of reincarnation of Enzo himself. Back to planet earth to help those of us who desire to keep their Ferraris driving down the road. :)
    Hats off to Verell.

YOU DA MAN!

JIM

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Just send PayPal payment to the orders email address. Use PayPal category [Goods(non-auction].

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'll be selling the tool, it's pretty simple, just a piece of tubing a bolt, a nut, various sized washers & instructions. I think the sale price will be about the same as what I'd have to charge for a rental fee + return shipping.

Certainly it is something you could make yourself, but I think the right size tubing & maybe one of the washers might be a PITA to locate (havent' measured them yet, so this is a SWAG). I believe people will find that when they factor in their time to chase down the various parts, & cut the tubing to length it'll be cheaper/easier to just buy it from me.

Regards,
    Verell

10. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    From past searches I have seen all sorts of products and group buys.

Do you have a catalog?

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Seamus,
    Thanks for asking. Yes, I have everything in a price list. Just end eMAIL to:

Verell(at)UnobtainiumSupply(dot)com

Everything that was a group buy is in the price list, however, a few custom machined items like the Unbreakable Lever Bezels may be out of stock until the next mfg. run. Just about everything else can normally ship in a few days.

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #12 Verell, Nov 5, 2007
  13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I've started the intial production run of the shift bushing installation tools. Will publish a price as soon as I get a good handle on how long it takes to do the simple machining steps involved.

14. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    Verell, I appreciate the work you're doing. I ordered and received the paper weights but have still not installed them. Anyway, I'm not sure if I need these new bushings. How do you know that the originals are not in good shape or working properly? The only problem I have with my shifting is the standard second gear shift problem until she warms up. Can you please expand on the benefits again.

Thanks

Al

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The SilentBloc bushings are rubber which deteriorates over time, especially the bushing by the engine which is subject to exhaust heat & oil. The bushings can go bad in a couple of ways: The rubber can soften, eventually becoming mushy, or the rubber can become hard & brittle, eventually breaking up & falling out.

The symptoms of degraded or failing bushings range from feeling some slight grating & loss of crispness/precision during shifting to difficulty or even inability to get into 1 or more gears. The exact gears affected are usually one or both of the outer pairs (eg: the Reverse/First pair, or the 4th/5th pair. In severe cases, it becomes very difficult to shift at all.

The bushings return the path between the shift knob & the forks in it's transmission to it's original condition.

16. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #16 Mike C, Dec 2, 2007
    Here's an example of one that needed replacing -- no amount of adjusting the shifter forks would solve the problem of not being able to find reverse gear! The inner bushing should have been centered, and the rubber solid and firm. This was indeed the one nearest the engine, as Verell mentioned (and it's a bear to get to). We replaced it with a new stock piece and the car now shifts at least as smooth as when I first got it 15 years ago... I hadn't realized how bad it had gotten over time.

17. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I've run-off & kitted several shift bushing installation tool sets & a step by step bushing installation procedure. The tool can be used to remove and install either the OEM SilentBloc, or the Delrin(tm) shift bushings

Price/tool is: $36.00 + $6.90 S&I

The tool is an slightly improved version of the tool that Kermit was selling.

18. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    This a great effort that benefits the entire community of owners - Thank you very much.

19. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    YES, 328s also use the same bushing: Ferrari P/N 106814 #28 in the 328 FPC.

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    let me add this one:

or if the rubber goes bad, the inner sleeve can shift sideways causing metal-to-metal contact of the fork and shift shaft eye. The noise this causes inside the cabin is very annoying. Drove me almost nuts during a 1000mls.-drive some years ago.
    Sounds similar as if someone is permanently ringing at your front door :)

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

21. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Ordered these a few weeks ago along with the install tool. Completed the job in a few hours thought I would share my insight. To anyone contemplating this upgrade do not hesitate. If putting air in your tire, mechanically speaking, is a 1/10 and dropping your engine is a 10/10, I would rate this as no more than a 2. It is a bit tight to replace the bushing at the shifter without removing the console but it can be done on a testarossa with some patience. Do not waste your time trying to make a home made extractor, just order the one Verrel offers because it works. My old bushings were shot making the gear selection a bit difficult and this has been corrected. Sorry I didn't take any pictures, but honestly you would have a hard time f*&%ing this up!

Thanks Verrel for your ongoing ingenuity for our cars!

Jeff

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ha! I didn't even know about this. I just ordered it and the tool - thanks!

23. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    You are quite welcome!

24. angelop

angelop Rookie

Mar 21, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Angelo Patrizio
    #24 angelop, Apr 7, 2014
    After much research, concern, and fear, I finally decided to replace the bushing on my 308GT4. Using a lot of patience and unfortunately no assistant, I felt this could be done.
    I purchased the bushings and tool from Verell, knowing quite well that if I relied on my own ingenuity to make a tool, this project would never get done.
    In my emails with Verell I confirmed that the key to not screwing up, was to make sure that the shift rod in the transmission did not move once the shifter rod was unbolted.

So following all the threads in the forum, I put the shifter into 2nd gear and removed the thru bold from the bushing at the transmission end. Using a 1/2 or 13mm box wrench on the nut side and a 1/4 drive socket and ratchet on the bold head. I carefully used the ratchet to turn the bolt while using the wrench to to both hold the nut and prevent the torgue on the ratchet from rotating the shift rod counter clockwise and losing it from the
    2nd gear finger inside the transmission. Once the bolt was removed I very carefully eased the shifter rod forward, which in effect put the shifter into the 3rd gear slot inside the car.
    Having an assistant would have made this easier, but the key is to keep the transmission
    immobile so I remained watchful and did this carefully.

I put Verell's tool in removal order and fitted it to remove the bushing. Again I used the box wrench because the transmission rod would now move freely counter clockwise and
    it felt like it was floating in that direction.I gave it a few turns and then removed it to make sure the bushing was moving and entering the sleeve of the tool. Using the second nut under the bolt head of the tool, I made sure that the bolt head stayed out and the nut pushed against the bushing. Otherwise the bolt head will also disappear into the bushing opening and you have nothing left to grasp. I adjusted the second nut a couple of times
    as the length of the bushing when added to the shift rod means moving it more than a couple of inches.
    Installation went much smoother and the tool seemed to be the perfect dimensions. Again I used the box wrench to prevent any movement of the transmission rod. And finally with the utmost care and no assistant, the shifter rod was able to be moved from 3rd back to 2nd from beneath the car and the bushing and shaft were slowly and gently
    aligned for the nut and bolt to be put in and tightened.
    A couple of hours work on jack stands and on my back and the shifts have never felt as precise.
    Here are a couple of photo's.
    The bushing looked fine, until I removed it.
    Here is another forum photo, but not the second nut under the bold head, which is
    used to adjust the reach for pushing the bushing out.

25. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wow! The old one was trashed! I need to tackle this soon as well. Thanks for posting pics!