355 Aftermarket Header Manufacturers? | FerrariChat

355 Aftermarket Header Manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cgperry, May 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Found out this afternoon that my 98 Euro 355 spider has cracked the passenger side exhaust header. I don't want to put factory ones back on as I intend to keep the car and don't think they ever fixed the problem.

I know Tubi makes a set, but they are quite expensive (even for Tubi) now because of the Euro exchange, and they are backordered. I have e-mailed QV London about theirs, but I think they just strengthen factory units which I'm concerned about.

Does anyone else know of other aftermarket header manufacturers for the 355? I've checked with the other normal suspects (Capristo, Mille Miglia, Stebro) and none seem to exist.

Also, since my car is a Euro, can anyone tell me DEFINITIVELY (no guessing) whether the headers are different than US cars? So far I've gotten 3 'same' and 1 'different' in my research with various dealers. My car was originally delivered to Italy. It does have cats.

2. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Hate to hear about this happening to your car. Is it not possible to repair your current header? I hope this never happens to me but if it does I'll start talking with header makers in the states for recomendations on repair shops.

ken

3. Nigel_641

Nigel_641 Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    DB
    Hi there,

I had to have both sides done within a 3 month period.

1)Do not replace with factory parts b/c you´ll end up with the same problem again.
    2) If you can afford a tubistyle, thats the best exhaust there is, it should be standard anyway
    3) get them repaired if possible. I had mine done by modena motorsport in Germany and never had a proble since. Real Quality work. check their website its www.modena-motorsport.de.
    4) if your header is cracked (which is due to overheating, mostly) have your valves checked b/c they tend to burn through not too long after :-(

Good luck,
    D.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Are you still under 7 year warranty? For numerous reasons, it would be very worth your while to have OEM replacements, even if you elect to get new, different headers. Just keep the replacement OEM set in case something awful happens to the non-OEM set of your choice...
    Searching yields some info, for instance:
    Click & check this thread out
    and this one
    and this one...

5. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

Why do you think the QV ones are bad? They replace the internal pipes with much thick pipes and the cold-start air intakes are squared off for strength. I think the design is well thought out and a good improvement on standard thin and too-curvy design. Lots of Euro cars now have these replacements judging by my friends and the guys I hang out with and no reported problems so far... (Is it 6 or 7 yrs now?).

Failing that, just get the stock one re-welded yourself!!

6. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Ade - Do you know if the QV London ones are new inside, or do they just thicken the stock headers? I was confused since they offer a core trade in, which would lead me to believe they're modifying a stock unit rather than totally rebuilding it. I've e-mailed them for clarification but haven't heard back yet.

Also, Wax, word in the archives is that the exhaust warranty is only four years (not seven), but it wouldn't apply to me anyway as my car is a Euro and I'm sure FNA would have no interest in assisting me.

7. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I emailed QV myself over a week ago and still haven't heard back. I may just call them...

-Michael

8. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
  9. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
  10. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
  11. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Quick silver has a dedicated Ferrari site but not much on line for their 355 products: http://www.racecar.co.uk/quicksilverferrari/ I did fire off an email to ask about their exhaust manifold exchange....

The stainless site just plain sucks...they have a Ferrari link with some images but none of them are labeled and I'm not quite sure which Ferrari models they have exhausts for.....very lame site.

-Michael

12. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Here is an update from the Stainless Folks:
    Dear Mr Calvo
    Ferrari F355 Manifold

Thanks for your email.

We are working to be able to offer this exchange service on the 355 headers to US customers very soon. We have agreed to operate this through Evans Automotive in Ohio

Please contact them directly:

Evans Automotive,
    3440 Morse Rd
    Cols
    OH 43231
    USA
    Tel: 614 471 7535
    Email: [email protected]

All our exhaust systems are manufactured entirely from type 304 austenitic stainless steel and come with our Twenty Five Year Guarantee - here since 1973.

Best regards
    Paul Goddard

Then the reply from Evans:

HI MICHAEL, CURRENTLY WE DO NOT HAVE ANY 355 MANIFOLDS IN STOCK FOR EXCHANGE BUT QUICK SILVER IS REMANUFACTURING SETS THAT WE SEND TO THEM IN 1.5 MM THICK 304 SOLID STAINLESS STEEL, THIS REPLACES ALL THE HEADER TUBING. NORMAL TURNAROUND TIME IS 2 WEEKS ONCE WE RECEIVE YOUR SET DEPENDING ON CUSTOMS.

ALSO AS LONG AS THE OUTER SHIELDS HAVE NOT BEEN DAMAGED THEN THEY CAN BE REMOVED AND REINSTALLED. IF THE OUTER SHIELDS ARE MELTED THEN WE RECOMMEND THE MANIFOLDS BE JET HOT COATED AFTER THEY ARE FINISHED. COST IS 1999.00 + SHIPPING AND CUSTOMS CHARGES.

ANY QUESTIONS, LET ME KNOW……GEORGE OR TIM

PS: PLEASE NOTE THAT WE HAVE IN STOCK THE QUICK SILVER STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE MUFFLER FOR THE 355 AT $ 1950.00

www.evansauto.com

13. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    I got a message this morning from Stainless as well. They said they only repair factory headers at the moment, at a cost of 540 British Pounds + VAT. Don't know what that comes out to - I'm guessing around a grand since they don't tell you what the VAT is. But I don't want mine repaired - I want them replaced since I intend to keep the car.

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    If you call up QV London it is better to call them around 5pm England time. Mike is the guy to talk to. They are very friendly, and helpful. A top notch group.

I once talked to Mike about what they do with the headers. If I remember correct, they take the old headers and put in new thicker gage tubing on the inside. The problem with the stock ones is that the thickness of the pipes is too thin. When they are bent, it makes the outside part of the curve even thinner. Then the heat created by the hot exhaust burns through the header. So QV and many others use a thicker gage pipe to fix this problem. So you can spend a few thousand and get the Tubi headers, or spend a few hundred and get the ones from QV, that will do the job just as well. Also I think that a mandrel bend is used in the construction of the headers.

15. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy

The VAT (Value Added Tax) is 17%. But that doesn't apply to sales outside of the country.

16. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael

17. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    From what I can gather Stainless and QV London are doing about the same thing to 355 Headers. They removed all the factory tubing and replace it with thicker better quality stainless.

I am only aware of one company that makes replacement headers (other than OEM) and that is TUBI

-Michael

18. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well if you wanna spend a few thousand go ahead. Your money would be better spent getting the ones from QV in my opinion.

19. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Going to give QV a call in the morning and get a price from them.

-Michael

20. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    I had a replacement header/manifold from QV recently.Works a treat.I know they are having a lot of problems because some of you guys stateside have'nt sent back the old ones while they have mailed you theirs! They replace everything internally, the only thing original are the flanges,very well made.

21. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Simon,

Were your heat shields intact? Did they reuse them?

-Michael

22. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    Well, i'm not quite up technically,but if the heatshield is the thin metal welded over the internal pipes then i'm pretty sure they are new but you'll have to ask them. QV say they have never had one fail yet and they have prob one of the best reputations in the UK.

23. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Awesome to hear...

I will call them in the am.

-Michael

24. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Awesome to hear...

I will call them in the am.

-Michael

25. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Another place to look into is Larini. They are in the UK as well, but if you are in the US, I can help you. Check out their site at www.larinisystems.com or contact me through my profile.

Brent