Four beeps after engine starts | FerrariChat

Four beeps after engine starts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by larryb, May 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. larryb

larryb Rookie

May 2, 2004
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry Boucher
    I'm sure that this is something obvious, but I can't find any reference in the manuals for it. If I have not driven my 360 for a couple of days when I start it I get four beeps. Nothing shows up on the display screens, and the car seems to run fine. The car is initially unlocked, but gives me the standard two beeps to unlock the ignition block before starting, and then a further four after the engine fires. The next time I start it that day it behaves completely normally, giving me two beeps to unlock and then nothing after the engine starts. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i seem to remember my 355 doing something weird like this as the alarm unit was failing (the battery was failing).

doody.

3. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Did you get the battery charger for your 360? If so, I would hook up the charger whenever you are not driving the car. If you don't have the charger go get the battery checked. The good thing is that you are still able to drive your car.

4. larryb

larryb Rookie

May 2, 2004
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry Boucher
    I didn't get the Ferrari battery charger, because I figured that I would be driving the car enough to not warrant it. However, when I hooked up my regular charger (an automatic) it immediately went to ten amps, so the battery was certainly less than fully charged. I'll post corroboration of your guess after I've seen the beeps go away. Wonder why Ferrari doesn't document this anywhere.

5. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Larry, What year is your 360?

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think that the beeps mean that you should get a Ferrari without a computer! :)

7. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    You are lucky the car starts after the 4 beeps. I had this happen once when the F1 did not have enough pressure to put the car into N to start the engine. Took a lot of effort to get it started. Did you car sit for a long time, or is your battery weak ? I think the extra beeps are just to tell you the alarm synch is screwed up. Never happens when I lock the car and then unlock before starting.

8. storminnormin

storminnormin Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    Does the red LED on the lower left panel (where you set the sport mode etc) remain lit after the 4 beeps? Mine has been doing that, and the dealer says that means the auxiliary back up battery for the alarm is dead and needs to be replaced. If this is the cause of your beeps, there should be no effect on your normal driving. You may want to ask your dealer to be on the safe side.

9. larryb

larryb Rookie

May 2, 2004
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry Boucher

10. larryb

larryb Rookie

May 2, 2004
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry Boucher
    I drive the car at least once a week, and usually more than once. I rarely drive it for less than thirty miles, and rarely in town miles. The battery went to full charge quickly, so I am doubting that it is the main battery (but I will see what happens tomorrow). I never lock the car in my garage (the only place this seems to happen) but I've owned the car for close to two years and it has never happened before. I was unaware of a back up battery for the alarm, but I suppose if it is normally charged by the alternator too it might be getting sufficient surface charge to behave in this fashion.

My dealer went out of business, and I have not developed a relationship with the next closest dealer, but I think that I'll call and ask in any case. Thanks for all the ideas.

11. larryb

larryb Rookie

May 2, 2004
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry Boucher
    Interesting--my dealer says that there is not a back-up battery, but the reason for the four beeps is the alarm siren is bad. He claims that if he replaces the siren the beeps will stop. It's not documented anywhere, however, including the service manual.

12. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    geez louise.

the alarm siren is a 5" by 5" box that contains a siren AND a battery. that is the battery for the siren.

speedball just posted some posts as to how he fixed his.

doody.

13. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    My Mondial wuold "beep" a few times after starting. I traced the problem to a bird with his head stuck in the alternator belt. Removed bird and now all is well. Is this what is meant by "fowling" a sparkplug ?

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That's hilarious, Tom!

15. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Thank you. I have my moments. :)

16. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Doody, where did Speedball post his answer?

17. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Larry, I might be wrong, but it normally relates to F1 gearbox errors that are stored in the TCU (transmission control unit) They might be cleared if you disconnect the battery, then reconnect and let the systems re-initialise, otherwise it's a trip to you dealer and connection to their SD2 so the errors can be read and deleted.

MW

18. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Get the alarm checked out - it is not in the owners manual but I thought it was mentioned in the manual/brochure regarding the security system.

19. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    it seems we have alot of input here but what is the answer? I am guessing that the alarm needs to be reset with the SD2. can anyone confirm this?

20. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    And if you do get a F-car with a computer, you should hit "CTRL-ALT-DELETE" when all else fails.

21. storminnormin

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    Good grief. Just give Ferrari of San Francisco a call at 415-380-9700 and ask Brad or their service dept.

22. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Save Time....

Open up your Alarm System Owners Manual, turn to page 13 and read C.

The answer is there.

AS well, if the light DOES stay on, then that is a sign that the battery (alarm siren) is going bad. Starting from Assy. # 41814(360 only) , F-SpA started fitting a battery jump wire on the negative side so there would be constant juice flowing from the battery to the alarm siren. From Assy #43089 they started fitting a later style siren that has a new style battery.

23. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Thought I'd add my recent experience to this thread.......

The problem with your alarm IMO is 100% related to the NiCad batteries in the siren. I also got the four beeps you mentioned. As Doody stated ... I recently resolved this issue on my 550 ..... I think the 360 and 550 have the identical alarm setups and issues.

I removed my siren, located below the right front headlight on a 550. It was hard to reach .... tried to get to it without pulling the headlight assy ... "lost" three 10mm wrenches (later recovered) before deciding to pull the four bolts holding the headlight assy and getting this out of the way. Simple to do and made for very easy access at that point. I removed the siren (two bolts), but since this is a sealed unit it's not intended to be opened or serviced ... I carefully cut along the original seam where it was glued together at the factory (made by Bosch) ..... there's not much inside so you don't need to be too careful when opening ....just two batteries and a small circuit board. I intended to replace the batteries which just pop in to two molded holders ... but found in my case some petty heavy corrosion on the bateries and contacts between them and the ciruit board, which just presses against the batteries (batteries in one half.... circuit board in the other) when the unit is put together. Checked the batteries and they were low ..... but after cleaning everything I taped the unit together and plugged it back into the wiring harness ... waited a day .... removed it and found the batteries were now fully charged (4 Volts each) ..... I also noted that the alarm problem was resolved. Since I bought the car (w/8k miles) the alarm light always cycled correctly at start up and when turned off ... but then goes into an always on mode when running ... which indicated a "fault" in the system ..... that's also what the four beeps is telling you. Once I was convinced the alarm was working OK .... I siliconed the two halves of the siren unit together and bolted it back in "for good" ...... I thought......

Now here's the sad part ..... this worked great for a few days...... and definately made me aware that I found the problem .... but just today the alarm issue has returned as before ..... I'm positive it's the batteries ..... they probably had just enough life left in them to last only a few days, having been discharged for months .. maybe years. I would've replaced these last time around (intended to) ... but couldn't find replacements easily .... checked the internet ..... found a few places that listed these but only in Europe...... checked Radio Shack, and some large US based battery suppliers.... no luck. (however... someone did post a message after I was done .... with a name where I might find these ... check my original posting (titled: 550 alarm light always on).

Now that the problem has returned .... I'm going to find new batteries before r & r again. I had considering just buying a 7.2 volt NiCad battery pack at Radio Shack .... and hard wiring this in ... There appears to be ample space inside the siren housing. If I can't find the proper replacements ... this is what I'll end up doing.

The updated siren changed to a better battery that lasts longer ...... but the dealer gets around $ 350 for a new siren unit .... there's basically nothing inside this unit and no reason the throw it away .... it's only two batteries and a siren horn.... YES they could've put four screws in it to make it eaily serviceable ...... but regardless ..... hardly worth spending this amount when you only need two new $10 batteries. Something else I might consider this time around is to drill a small hole in the side and run the battery wires outside of the unit ..... this way I can buy a battery pack with a connector that just plugs in and attach the battery pack to the bracket holding the unit .... next time the batteries fail ... it'll take 2 minutes and $ 14 dollars to fix.

There's a factory update regarding adding a ground wire from the connector to the actual battery ground (already mentioned in this thread) ... bypassing the car batteries kill switch..... thus allowing constant power to the NiCads so they don't drain. This only helps ... and I;d say is necessary if you let your main car battery drain to a low state or switch it off at times.... This doesn't appear to of been the issue with my car .....

The batteries inside the unit are # Z3A120 ... B49 .... 3.6 volt ... approx. 1 inch round by 1/2 inch tall. Looks like a very large watch battery. If you find a source for these... let me know.........

Thanks,

24. larryb

larryb Rookie

May 2, 2004
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry Boucher
    I'm convinced. Sounds like the "siren" is a box including a backup battery, and the battery is going. It's definitely the alarm, because after all the helpful (and funny) posts I bothered to check the alarm led, and sure enough after the engine starts it comes back on and stays on.

25. storminnormin

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    I'm glad the problem has been identified. The first time I heard the beeps I got really concerned. Fortunately FoSF was able to diagnose the problem and reassure me of the benign nature of the issue.

As an aside, we'd love to have you join us for one of our sunday breakfasts in Half Moon Bay!

Norm