Lancia Stratos | FerrariChat

Lancia Stratos

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by ianjem, Sep 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ianjem

ianjem Karting

Oct 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Ian
    #1 ianjem, Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    What is the car in the third photo?

3. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Umm, the Lancia stratos bud.

Also; geez that stratos prototype is TINY!

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #4 Miltonian, Sep 18, 2007
    I'll make a guess about the red convertable in the third picture.

It appears to be a Lancia Aprilia Gran Sport Spider by Ghia, from about 1948. As shown:

The Stratos prototype is probably the reproduction car that was written up in the magazines recently.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I wish they would have built that step in "on the ground" car.

I like the real production Stratos as well.

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I believe the "Prototype" is a replica built on a Michael Jackson Music Video Prop.

7. anton

anton Karting

May 8, 2004
    I think it may actually be the "Lancia Ferri 2500", built and raced by Cormons Ferri and based on a B20 Aurelia.
    Anton

"Darth my ride"

8. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Love the Lancias.....

9. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #10 Sfumato, Sep 19, 2007
  10. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    yeah i think there were two "prototypes", the silver one and the orange(ish :\ ) one. there's a video on google.videos of the orange one in motion from many years ago... haven't seen it in a while now.

11. Hrabi

Hrabi Rookie

Jul 21, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Hrabi
    Jim is right. The car is a replica, currently owned by my friend Andy S. in the UK.

He imported the car from the US (it was used as a prop. in the Michael Jackson Motion Picture 'Moonwalker')- and was one of THREE replicas. Andy modified the car so it could be driven (when he bought it, it was built on an old Lotus Esprit chassis (I believe) and the front 'door' did not open)...

Gian Beppe P. (of Bertone) told me that Michael Jackson personally requested the Zero. His PA first enquired at Lancia, only to be told that the car is with Bertone. Bertone sent the car to L.A. and three replicas were built.

The original 'Zero' is still owned by Bertone. It was first shown in bronze colour and later repainted in silver (it featured in a number of adverts in this colour). It was recently (in 2001) repainted back in its original colour.

Regards,

Hrabi.

12. Hrabi

Hrabi Rookie

Jul 21, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Hrabi
    Only ONE Lancia Stratos 'Zero'!

13. Hrabi

Hrabi Rookie

Jul 21, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Hrabi
    I doubt that the original was bigger. I was told exact molds were taken off the original. The car was on location in L.A. for the movie prop reproduction. I have an image somewhere with four Zeros in one picture! One original plus three replicas! They are all the same size.

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hey

There was recently a cool article on the car in a UK mag. He did a great job. It must be pretty wild to see it on the street gliding along.

Best

15. Hrabi

Hrabi Rookie

Jul 21, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Hrabi
    Yes. The article was in 'Classic Cars' a few months ago!

Its funny, this replica was actually on ebay a few years ago (2003 I believe) and I had the winning bid! But then the seller decided to sell it to Andy instead...which is good news for enthusiasts, as he did a fantastic job. I would have just kept it 'as is' and probably hung it on the wall.

Andy did his very own 'coachbuilt special', by adding the fiberglass body of the replica Zero onto an old Lancia Flaminia...one that was designed by Pininfarina...which is actually quite funny...considering he replicated a 'Bertone icon' and the actual car papers read 'Lancia Flaminia Pininfarina'...

16. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    He used the chassis from a Lancia Flaminia by Pininfarina????

Where in the world did you get that story, it's ridiculous! The article in T&CC says the chassis was from a Fiat X1/9.

17. Hrabi

Hrabi Rookie

Jul 21, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Hrabi
    I got the information from Andy himself. He did the conversion/ modification, so I suppose he knows best. Its true that he used Fiat X1/9 parts in it, but the majority of the chassis is from a 'Flamina'- hence the car runs on a Lancia 'V5 title'. Just check with the UK DVLA if you want to be 100% sure...

18. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Sorry, I don't believe there is a single part from a Lancia Flaminia in that car. I used to own a Lancia Flaminia, so I'm not totally ignorant on the subject. The Flaminia is vastly larger, and it's front-engined.

The original Stratos Zero used a Lancia FULVIA v-4 engine, but the Fulvia is also a front-engined car.

19. Hrabi

Hrabi Rookie

Jul 21, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Hrabi
    OK, you win.

20. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The prototype Stratos was the car that started my love for cars in general.
    Had a chance at a production one in Milwaukee years back and passed on it over a $500 differance. Greedy guy wanted $18K !
    I am searching for one now that I can afford one but dont know if I'll be able to get in/out of it. ;) Youth is wasted on the young.