Direction Needed | FerrariChat

Direction Needed

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kenyon, May 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Guys,

As you know I have a 348 Spider and just became a DAD.
    The baby seat option is not going to work. I have spoken with my insurance and they will not insure my daughter if the car seat that I was going to have made by Verdi between the to seats is not certified.
    To certified MIRA needs to test it and they need of three seats for their three separate tests. This cost around the £5000 for testing and plus £1200 for each of the seats with frames.

For my wife, daughter and I want to go out and enjoy being in italian throughbred car at all the upcoming italian car events and race days on the nice sunny warm days. This is not possible at the moment because of two seats in the 348.

Basically you have worked all week been driving a vauxhall and the weekend forecast is great sunny and warm you just want to be driving a Ferrari - Its Freedom. but you cannot because their is three of you.... Its not option to leave the wife and daughter at home... I will have a early grave... I must say I love taking my daughter in the 348 shopping. All the women love to see a guy with a baby and getting out of a Ferrari as well.

DO I .......................................

1. Sell the 348 Spider and buy a 456GT ?
    This option its V12, 445 BHP, 5.1 secs land massive loads of torque. A discrete Ferrari that has rear seats and goes like the clappers.

2. Keep the 348 Spider and go out in the wife car (BMW)?
    This option, every weekend when its good weather and we all want to go out we must use the wife's car. Boring.................................. and I think you end up never using the 348 spider. No Ferrari fun !!!! Then before you know it its winter again....

3. Keep the 348 Spider sell the wifes car and by a Maserati 3200GT ?
    This option is basically waiting for a good / cheap 3200 coming up for sale.
    The 3200's I think is the best looking with boomrang lights but do not hold their value at all. The wife can drive it everyday. Still will not be using the 348 spider much....

4. Sell the 348 spider and keep the wifes car and buy another two seater Ferrari like a 512 TR or F355?
    This option you will get shot by the wife and the ferrari will end up in the grave with you.

Well the longer I write this the more Option 1 sounds good.
    They only concern I have do you think the 456GT will lose more money then the 348 spider ??? in the long run...

Thanks for help here...

2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Hi Kenyon,

I adore my 348, so I know you've got a tough decision. But it has to be option 1, doesn't it? It's a real shame to have a car you can hardly ever use. Who knows what will happen to the prices. Personally I think the 456 is such a great car that the early ones are probably round about their natural floor already. I have seen it said that now they're getting to a reasonable price level the true enthusiasts will start buying and they could even start going back up a tad. Just make sure you don't have more than two kids so you don't ever need to sell it and depreciation will be irrelevant!

3. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    What about a second two seater for your wife? I do notk now, a 328 or a 308 quattrovalvole? GTS, clearly!
    I know the feeling, I have two kids... Not being in position to have a second F car, we got a merc cabrio for the family events...
    Have fun.

Ciao

Eugenio

4. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Depending on afordabilty I would either buy an additional 308 (also depends if your wife likes driving) or the 456.

i was actually having this conversation with my fiance (who also likes cars) as to what we would do when we had kids ( we have 3, 2seaters and a 4 seater between us). We both agree we would sell the Alfa (4 door) and if we can aford it, we would get a 456. If not then, a 3200

5. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    By the way ... CONGRATS on becoming a dad :)

6. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Thanks,

Buying a another Ferrari two seater is not possible. My wife will not drive a Ferrari and has never been interested in my 348. I only have a single garage so leaving a ferrari outside in all weather is a no no. She likes the Maserati 3200 GT, but not sure if its a daily drive car for town.

I love my 348 spider and I have done so many things to make it different.

7. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Justin,what a mondial convertible T ?

8. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    You may also want to consider the Maserati Coupe,

It has similar acceleration to the 456, and well more punch than the 348
    Also, the Maser is cheaper to run than the 456 - the Maser uses chains instead of a timing belt, and you can get a newer Maser for the same price as an older 456.

And of course, the car has room for a baby
    The Maser may be worth a look for you.

Good luck!

- Jon

9. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Congratulations Justin- it's all change now!

What you do on the car front really depends on what you want to optimise. If you want to optimise on lifestyle, then that probably means the 456. I've tried the 2 cars everywhere thing and it's a PITA; it's the car dictating your actions, not the other way round. With children around you either have someone to look after them, or take them with you. Four seats makes it easier to do that and also means you can just go somewhere when you feel like it. Also, your kids (if you have more than one) can't fight over who goes with dad. The usual answer of one on the way there and the other on the way back doesn't work; kids only understand 'now'.

In terms of alternatives. I tried a few:
    Jaguar XKR- good cruiser but not so hot in the twisties
    911 996- good car, too little 'soul'
    3200/4200- good, but not 456 good IMO
    Cerbera- bloody fast, but again 456 better.

I've had a 456 for almost 4 years, the longest I've ever kept a car- it's a brilliant all rounder. Won't disgrace you when you're running with the dogs, yet you can pile the family in for a day at the beach or a picnic.

The challenge is to find a good one. If anything, prices seem to be creeping up.

Kevin

10. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I only have one child. Today I have been offered £35,000 for my 348 Spider LHD and that cash. I have seen a 456GT for sale red with beige interior. Its just been total serviced. The car is a FOC member. He has just bought a 911 turbo, he says his a Porsche guy. The car looks mint and colour combination great. Its just had its major service.

11. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Here are some photos.. I want a Ferrari over 3200 GT. This car is for sale. The car has changed it for a 911 turbo....

12. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    why lower your standards go for the 456 they are a bit rare now and i think they have lost all the money that they are going to lose so it should not depreciate any more

13. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Christ. For a second there I thought that was my car. Looks lovely; it's a nice house too, so the owner shouldn't have had to have economised on maintenance. I know conventional wisdom says this model should be in subdued colours, but the one time I was intending to sell mine I could have sold it several times over for the asking price, and have had many unsolicited offers since then. I assume this is a private sale and you'll have it checked out. Only worry is crema interior, so no juice in the car!

Kevin

Kevin

14. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    #15 kenyon, May 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    The above 456 is £15,000 cheaper. Its a 1994 and has 52,500 miles on it. Just had belts done, new clutch, new windo regulators at main dealer..

16. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    The red 456 GT is a 1996 with 25,000 miles it. What is a better buy do thing. Same amout of owners and all the service history...

17. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    This 456 Gt spider looks really good...

http://www.biline.dk/dennigcars.org/is/engelsk/car.asp?id={A11B5901-7815-11D8-AFA4-00508B350E58}

18. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Justin,if I was choosing, it would be the 1994,2 reasons the 15K and the colour combo.
    Dave Mc

19. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Justin,

Funnily enough, I've been going through the same dillemma- I have a 355GTS (replaced a 328 in nov last year). I find it hard to justify using it because going for a drive means leaving the family at home. Which makes it a very expensive piece of garage art!

I used to take my daughter out in the 328 as it had no airbag, but can't do that in the 355 without killing the airbag. Wish you could just take a fuse out...

I'd heard about your baby seat from Karl Verdi, and have spoken to him a few times about it. I had hoped that would be the answer. Have you completely given up on that?

The 456 is very appealing. But it is a GT rather than a raw sports car, and I fear that running costs could be a bigger issue than a V8. I'd love to try one though, and hear about the driving experience.

I have thought about a 996, but they just don't have the raw appeal. I reckon a good 993 could be fun (esp a Turbo)

The Maserati is also a possibility, esp a Coupe (as opposed to a 3200) because the engine is a re-headed version of the Modena's, so it is sort of a Ferrari, and the interior is very Ferrari-like. It is actually surprisingly practical, with a reasonable boot, and proper rear seats. But again, it is a GT.

I think, if I could be persuaded that the running costs weren't dramatically higher than a 355, the 456 would be my choice.

Given that you've already found two, and posted them here, I'd say that it's your too!

Good luck in your machinations...

Robert.

20. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have found a 456GT in Le Mans Blue 1999 T reg 37,000 miles on it RHD for £44,000 pounds. Full serviced at Maranello's and recent cambelt change.That is cheap. The interior is blue though not to keen, would be better in tan or beige.

I found another 456 GT Le mans blue with beige interior , 19,000 miles, full service history with recent cambelt change, RHD for £39,000. I think this a nicer car.

These cars a worth the money now. Quiet cheap. Do not know why. It can be because of the 612 can it ???

21. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I saw the £39k one too on the web; I was going to PM you today. Looked great- that'd be my choice if I was you.

Robert.

22. jimmy b

jimmy b Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    On a plane
    Full Name:
    James
    Justin,

Kevin pretty much hit the nail on the head. I was where you are about 16 months ago in that I had a 355 in the garage that I never used as I always wanted to drive everywhere with my wife and two children, so we took her car. Although I already had / have three other four-seater cars, the solution looked like swapping the two-seater for yet another 4 seat one!

I tested, 456, Jag XKR, DB7, AMV8 and 911. Discounted XKR, DB7 and 911 easily as all having joke rear seats - too small even for my then 4yr old son. AMV8 most expensive & does 180mph with 360bhp and no ABS - not clever with my family on board. So that left 456 as clear winner, before we even got the issue of not wanting to give up my beloved prancing horse for another marque. I'd have to say that Masser not even in my thinking at that time (or since) but I accept other postings point, that newer masser is similar purchase price to late nineties 456 with probably lower ongoing costs, so it's at least worth a test drive. I had one as a loaner for a long weekend and was unimpressed.

Bottom line, I recommend you get a 456, and change the wheels and tyres for 550 Maranello 18" (or even 19" wheels with low-profile P zero rossas which I've just done) if you want to trackday it. Any of the ones shown on this thread look good to me....

Good luck.

James.

23. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Justin

My advice is to go for the 456. 2 seater ferraris are great but not so usable. The whole point of a car is to use it.

My friend was telling me of a 1995 rhd car with low mileage for sale. Im sure it was about £33k, in excellant condition. The car is to be featured in Used Car Buyer mag, with a buyers guide. My friend plays cricket with the editor, and saw the car a few weeks back. Said it was awesome.

Have a look at the mag if you get a chance. Im not sure if its out yet, or to be released soon. He's playing cricket with him again tomorrow so he's gonna get the full details.

Also have you considered a mondial t? Mechanically the same as a 348 but less money than a 456. Maybe you can keep the 348 and an mondial t too!

24. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    My wife will not drive a Ferrrai. Do not ask me why....