355 Headers | FerrariChat

355 Headers

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Capt, Apr 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well I got the new today.... on my '95 355.my drivers side header cracked and is spewing insulation all over the block.

So I can:

A. Have the header repaired
    B. Replace the header with OEM
    C. Go to an aftermarket Header

My questions:

If the header is repaired, can it crack again?

Are the OEM headers of an improved design, thus preventing cracking again?

Are there any drawback to go to an aftermarket header?

Is Tubi Style the only people to make an aftermarket 355 header?

Thanks!

Michael

2. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Michael just curious how many miles you have, just got my 95' 355 recently, and I'm anxious to hear some responses to your good questions.

3. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

The newer OEM headers are redesigned. Thicker pipes and air tubes are straight.

4. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    I have a 1999 spider. Recently took it to the dealer for smog issues (it passed smog but codes were found in computer). They found both sides cracked and replaced both on warranty (7 year on emmissions). Now car runs even better than before.

Bob

5. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My car is a called a '95 model year but was produced in '94

She has about 32K on her now (I've put about 6K on it)

6. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

hummm, really? The OEMs I've seen are identical. I put on QV (of London) replacements which do indeed have thicker pipes and squared of cold start air pipes. I decided against Ferrari OEM simply because they would have exactly the same design fault and therefore crack again in 6 years time..
    Ade

7. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ade,

Do you have an url for QV? I'd like to check out what you went with...

-Michael

8. Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch Rookie

Nov 22, 2003
    I just had the same issue with the headers on my '98 spider, leading to installation of Tubi headers. My research at the time indicated that the repaired headers tended to wear through again, sometimes in the same place, sometimes in areas that just hadn't yet worn through.

Although I ended up buying through my dealer, I found the best prices from Boston Sports Car. After hearing the Ferrari replacement prices, the Tubi prices sounded pretty reasonable.

9. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    this sucks. so much for the "it would have happened by now if it was going to happen" argument that's come up on the header cracks.

good luck with it, capt. we missed you today.

doody.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There is a TON of information on this subject if you check the archives.

I'll save you the time; the basic info. I have gleaned is that:

1) Repairs are rarely satisfactory (they burn through/crack again)

2) The later style factory headers only have an update on the air injection piping...the header tubes are of the same flawed design. So the updated replacements will likely fail again (and have for some).

3) The best fix is the QV London modded headers, or Tubi. No one has had these fail.....yet. So this sounds like the best option.

4) FNA sucks. This should be a recalled item, and they should have a satisfactory replacement/update for this problem. (they ARE replacing them at low or no cost for some later 355's, but it seems really up to the whim of FNA and how much support you can get from your local FNA dealer in resolving it. But again, they just put more of the same style headers on, so you will likely be addressing the issue again, in the future.

FWIW.

11. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I found a web site for QV in London but they don't seem to list their headers for the 355 on it.....anyone have any thoughts on their product vs Tubi's?

Thanks!

Michael

12. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Michael

In the the UK people swear by these modified headers. They seem to export a lot of them to the states as well. People also talk well of the Tubi headers but at something like 3 times the price very very few people buy them. I believe that the QV units are about £650 each.

James

13. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    James,

Are they new or used headers? Do they simply modify OEM ones or is more of a repair?

hmm....really confused now.

-Michael

14. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Michael

They repair them and it is on an exchange basis I believe. Ie they send you a "new" header and you return the old one which they repair and re-use again. I have not personally had mine done yet but know a number of people who have and they never have any comeback.

Dont know if this helps.

James

15. Villaconn

Villaconn Rookie

Apr 12, 2004
    Horsham, PA
    Full Name:
    Ricky Marrero
    Greetings:

I am going through the same thing. A 96 with 16,xxx miles. The tubes melt and either form a hole or they close themselves up. It started as a massive loss of power. Posted on this forum and after much diagnosing realized it was the headers. P/O said these are the second set. These were done under warranty. I believe they only changed one 'cause the air tubes are different from each other. One is the rounded the other side is squared off. Called the dealer and they said these are warranted for four years. The factory pieces are $4,xxx.00 a piece. Found Tubi's for $4,900.00 a set. Someone on this forum suggested QV London. Being that there was no mention of the headers on their website, gave them a jingle and were very pleasant to deal with. They, as well as other folks in this forum, claim 6-7 years of doing these w/out a failure yet. Their pieces are about $2100.00 and you get your core charge back ($355.00 no pun, just the way the currency conversion works) when they get your old pieces back. That is for the pair, delivered to you in the US. Sounds really reasonable to me. I have two pictures that depict what happens with the tubes but I don't know how to post. I'll email them if someone want to post them. I am going to try those pieces and we'll see what happens. I can't wait since the weather is starting to break and is a shame to see that thing parked in the garage. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    Ricky

16. Villaconn

Villaconn Rookie

Apr 12, 2004
    Horsham, PA
    Full Name:
    Ricky Marrero
    Sorry, I forgot to mention, what they do is re-fabricate the header with thicker wall ss tubing. The factory piece uses very thin walled stuff.

Cheers!
    Ricky

17. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Does QV recommend replacing both or just as they fail?

Thanks!

Michael

18. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    sorry, I never got back to you with the website - just in case your still looking:
    http://www.hamletcg.co.uk/qv/

If shipping/time/organising is an issue, then assess doing both. If not, wait for it to fail (it should be fairly obvious when it does - if the crack is in the cold start air injectors you get a 'ticking' noise while the engine is cold.). A lot of my friends 355s have managed to get away with the stock ones with no problem.... 10 yr old cars in some cases, so just down to luck!
    Ade