f40 prototype (The first supercar) | FerrariChat

f40 prototype (The first supercar)

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by wrathracer, Apr 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrathracer

wrathracer Rookie

Apr 30, 2004
    I am the onwer of the 1987 f-40 prototype that has been talked about recently by many people. I figured that many of the true die hard Ferrari collectors/followers like myself did would like to learn more about it. The car will at Pebble Beach in Aug. and anyone that would like to see it is certainly welcome.

The car was Enzo's pride and joy and basicly the last car he was ever involved with from what we have gathered so far. The car is 100% as if it was made in the past few days. The car has aprox. 193 original KM. Most of which from testing by Ferrari. It is currently rated at just over 700hp, 200+/-pounds less than a production F-40

2. wrathracer

wrathracer Rookie

Apr 30, 2004
    Sorry for previous the message being incomplete but I hit the enter button by mistake. The car has 193 km which like I said is mostly the origianl testing KM's from the factory. The car was built from the idea that Ferrari would build the ultimate supercar for the world. The Prototype was built a few years earlier than the production model and had more horsepower (aprox.700+)and was much lighter (200+) pounds. The exact weight and HP will be released in August. The car again is 100% stock. It has parts on it that are unique and F-1 inspired. This car is like driving an F-1 car in that the power is overwhelming from the git-go.

I decided that it should and will remain that way just the way that Enzo last saw it.

3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Fabulous car and I may never have a unique Ferrari with such a pedigree. But I will say that, to me, the interesting Ferraris with pedigree all have battle scars from the Mille Miglia, LeMans and other driving events. I wonder if Enzo would indeed approve of his cars not being driven. I prefer to think of his legacy as one of building cars that can function as good as they look and with the intent that they be driven hard and repaired/maintained well.

But then again, I stroll through Pebble Beach for about an hour or so when in Monterey and spend the rest of the weekend at Laguan Seca. So what do I know?

Enjoy the car; it is yours to do with as you see fit and I can understand the desire to preserve something unique.

4. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    Are you talking about the 288 GTO Evoluzione (which is in fact the prototype of the F40) ? Or is it a normal F40? Can you share pictures or the serialnumber? Just curious ...

5. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I saw your car at LoD a few weeks ago. Well, parts of the car at least. It was pretty well taken apart and Mike L. was explaining how they were rebuilding it to be shown at Pebble Beach. I believe one of the tell tale signs of the prototype is an extra louvre on the engine lid?

When hearing its story, I had the same reaction as Keith. How can this beautiful car not be driven? It seemed like such a waste. It might be like driving an F-1 car, but no one will ever know.

That said, if I were lucky enough to own it today I wouldn't have the balls to put such a beautiful museum piece on the track. Enjoy the car, it was stunning to see in person.

6. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Could you give the s/n of your car ?? Any pictures ??
    Thanks

7. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    are u talking about the 288 GTO evoluzione? they made 5 of these...and 2 were used for the development of the F40, but as far as i know, these 2 were destroyed.

8. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Jakermc, your post totally caught me surprised & disappointed. In the past few weeks, I have been visiting LoD almost every week, and didn't see this car! Crap! I wish I've seen it!!! BTW, your profile pic looks gorgeous, almost thought it was in Florida. Then I noticed you were in Dallas!

Wish I could see pics of this car!!!

9. riccajus

riccajus Rookie

Mar 3, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Justin Riccardi
    to my understanding, the f40 prototype was the 288 evo chopped up and modified for the road.

10. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Good eye, that pic was taken in Florida! Martin had it on consignment and took the pic.

I also saw your car up on the lift and the engine out on a stand. I was admiring the beautiful color and wishing it was on the ground as well so I could get a look inside. I had no idea at the time it was yours so I am happy to learn it went home to be taken care of by an F-chatter. Having seen your engine from every angle, the underbelly, all 4 rotors exposed, etc. it seems to me that you got one very clean car. Enjoy!

Looking at your car from behind, the F40 was about three bays down to the left. Mike L. gave us the run down on the car, the differences between it and the production car, etc. Given the state it was in when I saw it a few weeks ago, I can't imagine they are done preparing it for Pebble Beach yet. You might want to give them a call and see if its still around to take a peek.

Strange that the original poster hasn't come back to comment more on the car .....

11. wrathracer

wrathracer Rookie

Apr 30, 2004

12. wrathracer

wrathracer Rookie

Apr 30, 2004

I thought about driving it a few miles a year but only on a track for keeping the car in top working order. Since the car has only 156 KM or about 93 miles currently on it I thought that keeping low miles, would be for the benifit of the next collector.

The car is basically an F-1 car. I did put 3 miles on it when first purchased and found the power when the turbo's kicked in to be overwhelming. I don't mean just wow but Holy @#!*#! I would say only on a track with slicks and a good deal of learning can this car me mastered if then at all. It pulls you far more and with a greater roar than a production model f40.

I have not personally driven a turbo F-1 car from the past but from what I understand the cars were extremely powerful and hard to control. The car was built with factory LM turbo's, race ECN units and further parts that are unique to this car.

If at some point the car is put on the track and tested for speed and handling I will let everyone know the results as even I am looking forward to knowing.

Thanks for all the positive feedback regarding this car. Look forward to having some great conversations with everyone in Pebble Beach.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I cant wait for pics from Pebble !! I need to see the beast ! By your words , it sounds like a monster ! It sounds like the most desirable Ferrari ever ! Lighter and more powerfull F40 ? Dreams come true !

Can you please post some pics ?

Thanks a lot for sharing with us !

To all of you that will be at pebble , please overload your cards with this one of a kind F40 !

Grazie .

14. wrathracer

wrathracer Rookie

Apr 30, 2004
    I will get several pics out in the next few weeks as it nears the completion of the first major service.

15. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    And what about the s/n ??

16. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Is this the car you are talking about? or is there another prototype?

17. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    wow, this thread is gonna get really interesting soon. :)

18. wrathracer

wrathracer Rookie

Apr 30, 2004
    I will post the S/N next week as I am out of town till Wen.

19. wrathracer

wrathracer Rookie

Apr 30, 2004
    That's not the car. The car looks about 95% of a production model with a little LM features. The side windows are sliding plastic, rear window has more slats etc...

20. wrathracer

wrathracer Rookie

Apr 30, 2004
    This car looks like the 288 GTO prototype to me.

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    3 miles?

In 1986, the 6 "disappointing" 288 Evoluzione performance against Porsche 959's in Group B were the reason the F40 came to be... then and there.

That being the case, is this discussion revolving around 1 of 50 "Lexan Windows" F40's only built in 1987?

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

What do u mean by "the 6 "disappointing" 288 Evoluzione performance against Porsche 959" ?

23. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I tried to be a man of few words (for once) and it didn't quite come out right, aye... I'll try again.

Going backwards a step - homologation was given to Ferrari after they'd completed 200 GTO's - so the Evoluzione came to be... sights were set on Group B...

In '86, after unrelated Group B accidents, FIA brought Group B to a grinding halt. Thusly, (what I think would have been) a showdown between 288 Evoluzione vs. 959 never materialized. That would have been a performance to watch, but disappointingly, it didn't happen.

So, they took lemons (the FIA decision) and made lemonade. Different strokes for different folks, if you will. Thus, began the F40: something old, new, borrowed, blue. I believe 'Napolis quoted once that when the F40 was unveiled, Enzo said, "Bella..."
    __

70167, 70205, 79887, 79888 & 79889 are 5 of the 6 GTO Evoluzione's s/n's. Is 50253 the actual 1st of the bunch - by a long shot?

24. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    #24 ferrari_kid, May 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I have a book titled "Original Ferrari V8" by Keith Bluemel. On page 115 shows the "pre-production" F40 prototype. This prototype looks identical to the production F40 except for the vent slot patterns (rear Lexan engine cover and 5 slots instead of the usual 4 slots immediately behind the rear wheels). This prototype is neither the 288 Evoluzione nor the early production f40's with the sliding window.