GTO 5095GT sold? | FerrariChat

GTO 5095GT sold?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Anteriore, Aug 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    According to Barchetta.cc:

Ferrari prices are on top right now and it seems that this boom will last for long. The benchmark for this market, a Ferrari 250 GTO'62 has changed hands recently for reportedly € 14.0mio+. Chassis 5095GT went from its long time German storage to the UK and hopefully we will see this car soon back on the track.

http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/mercato.summary/index.html

Any confirmations to this report and where did the the car went?

2. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Sold $18 million +. May 2007
    To Scotland

Paul

3. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    cheap

4. stocky

stocky Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Bolton , England.
    Full Name:
    Andy
    i am assuming its the same one that was at silverstone in june for the 60th anniversary celebrations ?

5. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    was the car stored in germany ? 5095GT was one of the few GTO i´ve never seen in person.
    i thought it was owned by the samsung chairman lee in korea.

6. thepinkumbrella

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Correct

7. thepinkumbrella

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    No.
    The one at Silverstone was Irvine Laidlaw's, registered 6 GTO.
    # 3527

Paul

8. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Is there a 250 GTO Registry on F- Chat?

If not, can someone start one? (an expert hopefully!)

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Any pic ?

10. sicqnus

sicqnus Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2005
    Paris - France
    Full Name:
    Cyril Chartier
    Wasn't it the car that was in a Museum (Nurburg) and had lost its original engine ?

11. thepinkumbrella

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    The barchetta registry isnt too far off.

A few GTOs have traded over the last couple of years and have passed in to the hands of very private collectors who have requested to remain anonymous and these details aren't listed on barchetta.

With respect to these anonymous owners I dont think it should be disclosed here

12. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    im in 2 minds about this.

maybe the prices paid could remain anonymous but im not so sure about the ownership.
    when someone buys a historic car like this they become part of its history.
    no one enters into such a deal without knowing these cars are much loved and followed etc, so to expect to remain an anonymous owner is somewhat shortsighted and even in some ways selfish.

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I dunno.

If I buy a GTO and spend $18MM for it, maybe I don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry to know who I am. Maybe my insurance company would prefer I remain somewhat anonomous to get the best possible rate, whcih still must be a pretty hefty sum for the car.

Or perhaps, like any other Ferrari owner, what I own is my business, not the world's business.

I've been to shows where very exculsive Ferraris have be displayed for all to see and enjoy. Without disclosing ownership. Did that in any way take away from the experience, I don't think so. The owner, or owners, were free to mingle with the crowd without being mobbed like some bizarre automotive superstar.

I've also been to see a collection worth in excess of $100MM where everyone knows who the owner is, and what cars he has. Did that add to the experience? Nope.

I think ownership is a private issue, and it should be left to the individual owner to decide if his information is added to the public domain.

DM

14. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Whew. That shouldn't be far away from the most expensive car purchase ever, are there any numbers about such a record?

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    26 million $ for a GP MB Silver Arrows

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Which one?

17. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Strange, I recently saw a list in German magazine "Auto Bild" which claimed that the record was around 6 million for Bugatti, I knew it was inaccurate simply because I knew GTOs were far more expensive, but 26M is... a lot. Well - Auto Bild. Thanks!

18. srvben

srvben Rookie

Dec 15, 2006
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Auto Bild are partially correct - the Royale still holds the record for the most expensive car to sell at auction.

Ben

19. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  20. iwanna860monza

iwanna860monza Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    This is the rumoured price that the only Mercedes W196 in private hands sold to Bahrain a couple of years ago. Would be interesting to know if we will ever see a car like a Bugatti Royale or GTO sold at auction. What would it go for, would anyone bid to that level in public ??. We will see what happens, wont we ??
    Timothy

21. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

The Bugatti Royale that sold about 12 years ago reported went for 18 million.

22. 007700

007700 Rookie

Apr 13, 2005
    There are two GTO's for sale here http://www.ferraribuy.com/ under "250". Both at the same place in Italy, euro - 23,500,000 and 13,500,000, I wonder if they are genuine ads though? Anyone want to call!!!

23. srvben

srvben Rookie

Dec 15, 2006
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Was this one bought by Volkswagen? I heard or read somewhere (must be true then...) that they bought two Royales around '99 - the Henry Binder Coupe de Ville, and the Berline de Voyager. Deep pockets indeed.

Anyway, back on topic - I have a remote feeling that I might know who the buyer of 5095GT is, just a shot-in-the-dark hunch though, brought on by a couple of interesting circumstances that I know of. If my thinking's right, it's nice to know someone not that far from me has indulged in such fabulous exotica - if I had the means, I certainly would!

Ben

24. Funinthesun

Funinthesun Rookie

Aug 11, 2007
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Salman
    I would just like to point out that no w196 was sold in Bahrain ... interesting rumor wonder where that came from .. I find F-Chat fascinating sorry of this is off topic

25. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    "Maybe the prices paid could remain anonymous but im not so sure about the ownership.
    when someone buys a historic car like this they become part of its history.
    no one enters into such a deal without knowing these cars are much loved and followed etc, so to expect to remain an anonymous owner is somewhat shortsighted and even in some ways selfish"

I couldn't agree more -

There was talk of a GTO traded in the US for a California Spyder and cash 3-4 yrs ago; the highlighted Mercedes W196 was supposedly brokered by a UK dealer to a new German owner; Bentley Old No1 was allegedly the subject of a similar deal involving a UK bank and Volkswagen has relatively recently discreetly purchased Bentley "Old No 2" for its collection in Crewe UK.

If you're a billionaire collector - if you want a "No -stories" history GTO or Alfa 2.9 or Mercedes W196 or Bugatti Royale whether its €14 million or €18 million is of little consequence, there's only so many cars to choose from - if the opportunity presents itself to "do a deal" out of the public spotlight, either directly or via a discreet broker -you'll take it! Remember what happened to the "big ticket" lots at the first all Ferrari sale in Maranello somtime back!

The global market knows who the owners of these cars are and whilst agreeing that a degree of anonymity in the purchase transaction is a good thing, the new owner has an obligation as a custodian to maintain the history of a given prized automotive jewel.

There are doubtless many deals that have been completed in this way and if it is the case - its good to know that 2 of the GTO's that have changed hands in recent times are with new custodians in the UK - and of equal importance, used for intended purpose.