to 328 or 348 ?? | FerrariChat

to 328 or 348 ??

Discussion in '348/355' started by moretti, Apr 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Having recently rolled my GT4 and totalled her I am now looking at 328s or 348s as the successor.

I am leaning heavily towards the 328 for several reasons :

-they look great
    -they were the last of the transverse engined 3x8 series and had all the flaws sorted
    -you can still work on them at home
    -the 348 has "stories" related to it that don't sound good

I think the stories about the 348 are blown out of proportion but I know of a couple that have been treated hard and they don't like it, and I treat cars hard.

I've driven a couple of 328s and they impress me when moving but seem sluggish to get off the mark compared to my GT4 which launched itself but seemed to lack mid-range punch the 328 has.

The 348 seems modern inside and looks great from outside while the 328 says 80s to me but with a character that is desirable and I could live with her for some years to come.

Can anybody pick faults with my 328 desire or should I just wait for a few years and go straight to a 355 :) ?

The 355 is the best sports car from any manufacturer ever IMHO as it truly defines the word sportscar

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Glad everyone was alright after the accident, John...

Whatever you do, get a coupe... :D

3. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    If those are your only 2 options, then go with the more modern feel and look of the 348. There are many many posts in the archives about the 348's problems being overstated, yet telling what to look for and look out for.

4. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I have a 348, and have driven a 355. I have allot more fun in the 348, it's more raw, and lively. I hated the power steering in the 355, felt like driving my dad's Lincoln, beside too many people mistake it for "The New Mustang". Save yourself thousands and get the 348. The shifting takes some getting used to, but the rougher you treat it the more it likes it. Get a 92 or newer and you can avoid most of the problems.

5. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Contact me via PM. I may be willing to part with my 92 348 as I'm looking to move to a 98/98 355 or a 360. I really like my 348. I'm just moving through the Ferrrai line. The 348 is my 4th one.

6. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Didn't notice you are down under. Too far, find a 348 there and enjoy!

7. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
  8. Ski Guy 348

Ski Guy 348 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Jay M.
    Get the 348...You will love it!!!!!!!!!

9. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Hey Ken....how ya been my friend? How's Atlanta? My wife goes there 2-3 times/year for her company and she loves it.

10. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    John,

Glad to see that you and the family are okay. That's great!

My vote is for the 328, for all of the reasons that you mentioned and more. They are great cars and, if driven regularly and maintained properly, they won't break the bank. Good luck with your search! :)

11. atheyg

atheyg Guest

328 easily,one of the most beautiful Ferraris ever, I get constant compliments on my car everytime I take it out, have had pics snapped while getting fuel or people driving by.I can also easily afford a 355 but prefer my 328.

Its a blast to drive, cheap parts from Ferrari UK, well built and doesn't require an engine out for belts or w/p.

12. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
  13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Glad to see your are ok! :)

Go for the 328. It's classic.

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Tough decision, both are great cars. I have to admit that I prefer the look of the 328, but there is no comparison on performance, the 348 wins hands down. I currently own a 328 and drove my buddy's 348 spider last week; it has much better power, more direct and precise steering, and awesome brakes. The only thing I didn't care for was the heavier clutch action and rather stiff shifting, and this is with fresh gear box oil.

Tony Pallidino had a tech article where he had a customer asking the vary same question, and he recommended the 328 (over an early 89-90 348)...unfortunately his site is down...if it ever comes back up, try this link:
    http://www.modena-motors.com/Technical%20Articles.htm

In the mean time here is some info on 348's....like any Ferrari, later in the series is always better. http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/348versions.html

regards,
    Dave

15. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  16. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Let me make this 100% clear!

There can be NO question that the 348 is the much better car over the 348! Not a single doubt. It is faster, does not rust, is better built, much faster, has WAY more HP and more pull, drives excellent, handles great, has better electronics, better engine management etc.

There can be one question raised:
    Do you like the 328 styling over the 348. This is a question we can not answer you. Nobody can.

One thing coming from a dealer:

The 348 is a much underapprechiated car, the 328 over rated. If you can get a good deal on a 348 you are hard pressed to pass it for a 328 that has nothing to offer over the 348.

How do I know all these things? I drove a 348 for 20,000+ miles as a daily driver and had NO issues with the car whatsoever.

And lets be realistic, who actually fixes their cars themselves? Who does their 30K belt service at their own garage? Yes, I know there are some of you but with the same effort you can do a 348 as you can the 328. Bog deal.

17. atheyg

atheyg Guest

We all know Martin is biased to the 348.

Armen G who owns a major dealership in S Cal and sells a lot of Ferraris, he picked? 328

328s are not overrated the market sets the price.
    Better built?
    The 348 was the first Ferrari to be assembled by robots which had quality issues, one of the reasons Luca made his negative comments about them.The 328 has a race car tube frame, the 348 monocoque unibody.
    The 328 is the final evolution of the 308, over 11 years of design and improvement, 328s are galvanized also.

Way more hp? 30 hp more for a 348 and 100 extra pounds is not much, neither car is really fast by todays standards.

18. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    328, doesnt look like "the older 355" and has reached the pinnacle of the transverse V8 perfection...also, while I am NO pro, I suspect prices have leveled more for this model than the 348...I just never liked the 348...

19. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Neither! They are both EFI'd haidressers cars :)
    Best choice for you is a 'glass 308 (preferably Azzuro Met) or a carb Boxer. :)
    Now, sit down with a slab of XXXX and consider that :) :)
    Best
    JM

20. Cuore

Cuore Karting

Apr 28, 2004
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The 328 is much more classic than the 348, both are nice cars, but go for the 328!!

21. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Get a nice 328, they are true classics. 348's (at least in the first years of production) suffered from poor built quality. Also, they require more expensive maintenance. If you can, get a copy of Forza 15 and 30. They contain a buyers guide for the 328 and 348 models. Good reading on all the pro and cons. Good luck!

22. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    If what you really want is a 355, you may end up trading in whatever you buy now potentially fairly soon (?). With this in mind, I reckon you should buy something desirable and easy to sell on and that won't depreciate a great deal. Sound fair, right?

348s are great value for money, but potentially a little harder to sell on (dicated by the market) Here in the UK, 348 have tended to hang around in dealer's showrooms for a bit longer compared to 328s.

My vote would be to get a mint 328 GTS in Red and keep it that way if you are only going to keep it for a couple of years. Should hold its money right?
    Ade

23. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Why would I be bias?
    Becasue I drove one for 3 years and actually did experience the car and its quality. I also had 328s and 308s in my life before. the 30HP do much more than add 30HP. Its like saying the 360 has only 5 more horses over the 355, what can that possibly do? Drive them and you know!

Lucas comments have been taken out of place for a while. People are constantly rambling "rumors" and repeat them here on F-Chat without saying they are rumors. Yes I have done it in the past as well. Lets see, who had issues with his 348? It has to date been my most reliable Ferrari. No Magnet Marrelli crap. No tilting the seat to lie-down position to be able to drive.

You are right in one respect. The 328 is the evolution of 11 years of trying to better a car that has outlived its place in the automotive world then. They waited and fixed and fixed and fixed. Put a different engine in that 308 and then slap some new body panels on to make it look more "new". At the end of the day you are getting what was engineered in the late 60s and early 70s. A 308 on steroids.

The 348 is early 80s engineering. The automotive world has come a long way in those 10 years.

BTW no Ferrari has ever been built by Robots. Not to date!

Quality issues? I could not find any in my car.

24. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Good synopsis Martin. BTW, thanks for shipping the styrofoam sharks to us. You should have seen my girls' faces light up when they opened them!! Tell Marion Jerry misses her.

25. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    the 328 is and will be regarded as a true classic. Thats the car to go for.

Their might well be misinformation going around regarding the 348 but im afraid it will never attain tyhe status of the 328